Ultegra Brifter Family Tree

Doug Goodwin

Guest
Can someone give me the chronolgy of the ST-6500 series of Shimano Ultegra brifters?

I assume that the ST-6500 is the base model, introduced about 1998 or so. I'd like to find out just
what the difference is between that model, and the ST-6501, ST-6510, et al.

I've searched thru the Shimano sites, and all the reference material that I have on hand, but can't
come up with definitive descriptions. Info requested as I'm finally going to get rid of those noisy
ST-6500's that came on my bike, and need to get an idea of how far up the "tree" I have to go.
Flightdeck stuff is of no interest, so if I can avoid that expense, it would be very helpful.

TIA
--
Doug Goodwin YMMV

"We have met the enemy, and they is us." - Pogo __o _`\<,_ (*)/ (*)

"Doug Goodwin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can someone give me the chronolgy of the ST-6500 series of
Shimano
> Ultegra brifters?
>
> I assume that the ST-6500 is the base model, introduced
about 1998 or so.
> I'd like to find out just what the difference is between
that model, and
> the ST-6501, ST-6510, et al.
>
> I've searched thru the Shimano sites, and all the
reference material that I
> have on hand, but can't come up with definitive
descriptions. Info
> requested as I'm finally going to get rid of those noisy
ST-6500's that
> came on my bike, and need to get an idea of how far up the
"tree" I have to
> go. Flightdeck stuff is of no interest, so if I can avoid
that expense, it
> would be very helpful.
>
> TIA
> --
> Doug Goodwin YMMV
>
> "We have met the enemy, and they is us." - Pogo __o _`\<,_ (*)/ (*)

Doug - you can e-mail Shimano Europe and ask. The address is [email protected]

I asked for the same info for Shimano 105 shifters -

Question - what's the differences between ST-5500, ST-5500-C, ST-5500-CA, and ST-5510?

Answer - Between ST5500, and the rest, ST-5500 is non flightdeck compatible, as all the others are
flight deck compatible. From C, to CA, some internal improvements. From CA to 5510, facelift.

"Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> "Doug Goodwin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Can someone give me the chronolgy of the ST-6500 series of
> Shimano
>> Ultegra brifters?

SNIPPAGE

> Doug - you can e-mail Shimano Europe and ask. The address is [email protected]
>
> I asked for the same info for Shimano 105 shifters -
>
> Question - what's the differences between ST-5500, ST-5500-C, ST-5500-CA, and ST-5510?
>
> Answer - Between ST5500, and the rest, ST-5500 is non flightdeck compatible, as all the others are
> flight deck compatible. From C, to CA, some internal improvements. From CA to 5510, facelift.

Thanks for the pointer.