Ultegra Brifter Family Tree

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Doug Goodwin, Mar 23, 2003.

  1. Doug Goodwin

    Doug Goodwin Guest

    Can someone give me the chronolgy of the ST-6500 series of Shimano Ultegra brifters?

    I assume that the ST-6500 is the base model, introduced about 1998 or so. I'd like to find out just
    what the difference is between that model, and the ST-6501, ST-6510, et al.

    I've searched thru the Shimano sites, and all the reference material that I have on hand, but can't
    come up with definitive descriptions. Info requested as I'm finally going to get rid of those noisy
    ST-6500's that came on my bike, and need to get an idea of how far up the "tree" I have to go.
    Flightdeck stuff is of no interest, so if I can avoid that expense, it would be very helpful.

    TIA
    --
    Doug Goodwin YMMV

    "We have met the enemy, and they is us." - Pogo __o _`\<,_ (*)/ (*)

    Tags:

  2. Grenouil

    Grenouil Guest

    "Doug Goodwin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can someone give me the chronolgy of the ST-6500 series of
    Shimano
    > Ultegra brifters?
    >
    > I assume that the ST-6500 is the base model, introduced
    about 1998 or so.
    > I'd like to find out just what the difference is between
    that model, and
    > the ST-6501, ST-6510, et al.
    >
    > I've searched thru the Shimano sites, and all the
    reference material that I
    > have on hand, but can't come up with definitive
    descriptions. Info
    > requested as I'm finally going to get rid of those noisy
    ST-6500's that
    > came on my bike, and need to get an idea of how far up the
    "tree" I have to
    > go. Flightdeck stuff is of no interest, so if I can avoid
    that expense, it
    > would be very helpful.
    >
    > TIA
    > --
    > Doug Goodwin YMMV
    >
    > "We have met the enemy, and they is us." - Pogo __o _`\<,_ (*)/ (*)

    Doug - you can e-mail Shimano Europe and ask. The address is [email protected]

    I asked for the same info for Shimano 105 shifters -

    Question - what's the differences between ST-5500, ST-5500-C, ST-5500-CA, and ST-5510?

    Answer - Between ST5500, and the rest, ST-5500 is non flightdeck compatible, as all the others are
    flight deck compatible. From C, to CA, some internal improvements. From CA to 5510, facelift.

  3. Doug Goodwin

    Doug Goodwin Guest

    "Grenouil" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "Doug Goodwin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Can someone give me the chronolgy of the ST-6500 series of
    > Shimano
    >> Ultegra brifters?

    SNIPPAGE

    > Doug - you can e-mail Shimano Europe and ask. The address is [email protected]
    >
    > I asked for the same info for Shimano 105 shifters -
    >
    > Question - what's the differences between ST-5500, ST-5500-C, ST-5500-CA, and ST-5510?
    >
    > Answer - Between ST5500, and the rest, ST-5500 is non flightdeck compatible, as all the others are
    > flight deck compatible. From C, to CA, some internal improvements. From CA to 5510, facelift.

    Thanks for the pointer.