Ultegra Brifter: Play in Break Lever

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by David Patnaude, Jul 13, 2003.

  1. I have a fairly new bike with the Ultegra triple group. I have ridden around 1500 miles. I noticed
    today that the rear brake lever has some play. Around 1/8" measured at the top lever opening and
    probably a 1/4" plus if measured at the end of the lever. The brake cable is tight and no movement
    of the cable occurs during this initial lever travel. The front lever does not have any play in the
    brake lever.

    Is there something to be tightened in the lever to remove the play? The levers are Ultegra Flight
    Deck from 2002.

    Thanks, Dave Patnaude

    Tags:

  2. David-<< I have a fairly new bike with the Ultegra triple group. I have ridden around 1500 miles. I
    noticed today that the rear brake lever has some play. Around 1/8" measured at the top lever opening
    and probably a 1/4" plus if measured at the end of the lever. The brake cable is tight and no
    movement of the cable occurs during this initial lever travel. The front lever does not have any
    play in the brake lever. >><BR><BR>

    May need to unwrap the tape from that side, cut off the tape holding the brake housing to the bar,
    then 'seat' the housing end into the lever by squeezing a few times, then re-taping the housing,
    adjust the brake.

  3. [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > May need to unwrap the tape from that side, cut off the tape holding the brake housing to the bar,
    > then 'seat' the housing end into the lever by squeezing a few times, then re-taping the housing,
    > adjust the brake.

    If the housing is firmly in place with tape to the bar and then the handlebar tape over that, I
    wouldn't think that this would be an issue making the lever have play. The housing should only be
    providing alignment for the cable and not affecting lever or cable tension?

    Is my understanding of what the housing is doing incorrect?

    Thanks, Dave

  4. [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > David-<< If the housing is firmly in place with tape to the bar and then the handlebar tape over
    > that, I wouldn't think that this would be an issue making the lever have play. The housing should
    > only be providing alignment for the cable and not affecting lever or cable tension? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Housing needs to be seated into the lever. If the housing is secure(but not seated) and the first
    > time the lever is squeezed, the lever will have a wee bit of play before moving the cable.

    Thanks, I'll have to unwrap the bar and check it out.

    Thanks, Dave

  5. [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > David-<< If the housing is firmly in place with tape to the bar and then the handlebar tape over
    > that, I wouldn't think that this would be an issue making the lever have play. The housing should
    > only be providing alignment for the cable and not affecting lever or cable tension? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Housing needs to be seated into the lever. If the housing is secure(but not seated) and the first
    > time the lever is squeezed, the lever will have a wee bit of play before moving the cable.

    I finally got a chance to remove the bar tape and see if there was any problem with the housing not
    being seated. It seems like it was ok. I pushed it in harder and it seemed to help, but a full
    squeeze of the brake lever and it was back to having some play. I found that the rear brake seems
    to be not returning to its full open position which is causing the tiny bit of slack. The caliper
    needs a little push to fully open and make the lever tight. The rear brake is Shimano 105 with the
    Ultegra lever.

    Any further suggestions to resolve this problem?

    Thanks, Dave

  6. [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > David-<< If the housing is firmly in place with tape to the bar and then the handlebar tape over
    > that, I wouldn't think that this would be an issue making the lever have play. The housing should
    > only be providing alignment for the cable and not affecting lever or cable tension? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Housing needs to be seated into the lever. If the housing is secure(but not seated) and the first
    > time the lever is squeezed, the lever will have a wee bit of play before moving the cable.

    I finally got a chance to remove the bar tape and see if there was any problem with the housing not
    being seated. It seems like it was ok. I pushed it in harder and it seemed to help, but a full
    squeeze of the brake lever and it was back to having some play. I found that the rear brake seems
    to be not returning to its full open position which is causing the tiny bit of slack. The caliper
    needs a little push to fully open and make the lever tight. The rear brake is Shimano 105 with the
    Ultegra lever.

    Any further suggestions to resolve this problem?

    Thanks, Dave

  7. Peter's suggestion is quite good, and there are a couple of other things you need to look at also.
    Grab the QR end of the longer brake arm and see if it wiggles fore/aft. If it does, the caliper
    likely isn't the problem. The trouble you've got is often caused by excess cable drag somewhere in
    the run from the shifter to the caliper. The front housing piece should be cut so that the bars will
    turn all the way right without pulling the cable. A little longer than that is OK, but not much.
    Rear piece should have a nice smooth curve from housing stop to caliper. Lengths in general should
    be as short as possible while allowing the bars to reach the "full-lock" position. Sharp bends in
    housing tend to be sources of drag. If the housing has developed a crimp at the ferrule that could
    also be the source of your problem. Pull off the ferrules and look in the ends of the housing for
    occlusion by untrimmed ends of the metal winding that is the body of the housing. If you find them,
    they need to be trimmed, and the housing end finished with a file. Have you made sure that the cable
    is lubed inside the housing? I use white lightning for this, as it's thin enough to run all the way
    down the housing with the bike turned up.

    Have fun, Eamon

    news:<[email protected]>...