Ultegra Caliper Model Numbers ?

Magnusfarce

Guest
I want to pick up some new or maybe used Ultegra calipers, no more than a
year or three old, and find myself confused by the model numbers I'm seeing:
BR-6600 vs 6500, etc. The Shimano website is no help. Can someone either
explain the model numbers for the last few years or direct me to a location
where it is covered? Thanks in advance.

BTW, any big difference between the recent model years?

BBTW, anyone know the phone number for Shimano's tech support here in the
US? I can't find it on their website.

- Magnusfarce

Magnusfarce wrote:
> I want to pick up some new or maybe used Ultegra calipers, no more than a
> year or three old, and find myself confused by the model numbers I'm seeing:
> BR-6600 vs 6500, etc. The Shimano website is no help. Can someone either
> explain the model numbers for the last few years or direct me to a location
> where it is covered? Thanks in advance.
>
> BTW, any big difference between the recent model years?
>
> BBTW, anyone know the phone number for Shimano's tech support here in the
> US? I can't find it on their website.
>
> - Magnusfarce

6500 are the '9s' model and 6600 are the 2005, 10s model. The biggest
difference is the ability to toe the blocks on 6600, that was lacking on
6500 and 7700(DA 9s). The 6500 ones are great calipers tho. No need to
pay the extra $ for 6600.

Thanks for the reply. I'm curious about one thing: I assume that the terms
"9s" and "10s" refer to nine speed and ten speed, and if so, what difference
would that make in brake calipers? Or was it just a marketing move by
Shimano?

- Magnusfarce

P.S. I get the idea from your comments that the ability to adjust toeing on
the newer calipers isn't a big deal for you. Is that right?

Magnusfarce wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. I'm curious about one thing: I assume that the terms
> "9s" and "10s" refer to nine speed and ten speed, and if so, what difference
> would that make in brake calipers? Or was it just a marketing move by
> Shimano?
>
> - Magnusfarce
>
> P.S. I get the idea from your comments that the ability to adjust toeing on
> the newer calipers isn't a big deal for you. Is that right?

The calipers changed when shimano came out with the new group. 6600
being the ultegra 10s group, 6500 being the shimano 9s group. Toeing
brake blocks is a nice feature to have. shimano hasn't been able to
include this in their road calipers until DA 10s came out in 2004,
something i think should have been included long ago, like Campagnolo,
which has had this feature on their brakes for 2 decades.