Ultegra crank removal - help please

bcaple

Aug 5, 2006
Want to remove from Trek 5200 for cleaning and the ancient unknown puller in my box plus a newer Park puller both thread nicely but seem to be too short to do the job. Any advice? Thanks....

Depending on the BB, there is a "tool" which slips in where the crank bolt goes (after you remove it). The crank puller pushes on it and it allows the crank puller to pull the crank on hollow BB's and deep cranks. It's basically a "mushroom" shaped cylinder of metal. I don't know it's real name, but I have one.

PTPCW-1.jpg

Ultegra (6500) cranks have self extracting crank bolts. No puller is required. Just undo the hex bolt and the cranks will pull off on their own.

capwater said:
Ultegra (6500) cranks have self extracting crank bolts. No puller is required. Just undo the hex bolt and the cranks will pull off on their own.
Capwater, thanks for your info, but sorry, I don't follow that. The hex bolt and its washer are removed. What next?

There should be a ring with a hole in the center, through which the 8mm alllen
wrench accesses the crank bolt. This ring threads into the outermost edge
of the crank and is installed with a small spanner. Once installed it need never be removed. The action of the crank bolt being removed pushes against this ring thus pushing the crank off the spindle.

Xsmoker said:
The action of the crank bolt being removed pushes against this ring thus pushing the crank off the spindle.
Yes, but apparently it didn't! Sorry, bcaple, I haven't anything constructive to offer.

Thanks to all for the input. Found a Park CCP-4 at the LBS (end of summer sale, no less) and it worked. This vintage is Octalink. Lonnie Utah's illustration was fab, though a different, but equally effective Park model.

Lastly, Capwater may well be correct. The outer ring (before being removed with a pin-spanner) could act as a self-extractor as the fixing bolt is removed. I just don't see it being strong or deeply threaded enough to do the job. Felt better about using the tool. Maybe if I did this more frequently and the torque on the fix bolt was to spec.
Thanks again to all for the input. This is a great forum.