Ultegra Di2 Or Mechanical 6800? Need Advice Soon!

Mengtian

Jun 3, 2015
I know this thread has to be here somewhere but I could not find one. I am getting my new bike this week. I just need to decide on Di2 or mechanical setup.

I would welcome any advice form anyone with pros and cons. The biggest worry I have with Di2 is I "heard" that the servos last about 2-5 years and then woould need a new deraialleur.

If there is another thread please direct me to it. Duplicate threads are annoying.

Mengtian said:
I know this thread has to be here somewhere but I could not find one. I am getting my new bike this week. I just need to decide on Di2 or mechanical setup.

I would welcome any advice form anyone with pros and cons. The biggest worry I have with Di2 is I "heard" that the servos last about 2-5 years and then woould need a new deraialleur.

If there is another thread please direct me to it. Duplicate threads are annoying.
What is the replacement cost? 2-5 years seems like a reasonable time frame to me.

Call me old fashioned, but I'm not a fan of electronic shifting EXCEPT on triathlon bikes. And I'm even less of a fan of Ultegra DI2. I'm just not impressed with its operation. I probably would not hate on it so much if I had nothing to compare it to, but Dura-ace Di2 is so much better.

Me personally, for the money I'd go with Ultegra mechanical over Ultegra Di2. It's just not there yet in my opinion

That is strange because most reviews/blogs/SME's have said the difference is mostly in looks and price,,,,,,,Ultegra shifts as good as the Dura-Ace. Thanks for your input :)

I am really torn between the Cervelo R3 ($3750 and mechanical Ultegra) and the Fuji Transonic ($3400 with Ultegra Di2). I am sure I would love either one..but the price point set by Fuji is just phenomonal.

Ultegra Di2 shifts much better than the first incarnation and the firmware upgrades have helped iron out some issues. The rear shifts ok and would be passable but the front dérailleur is... Meh. I still find it slow and not as crisp. We've had 2 customers in the last 2 months go back to mechanical from Ultegra Di2. I was offered one set and passed on it. I have Mecanical Dura-ace on my primary road bike and I'd rather have that.

I don't like the new Mecanical FD either Ultegra or dura-ace. DA is better but both are so difficult to trim properly. Ugh.

I have Di2 on my tri bike that I upgraded from Mecanical. It's a mix bag of components on the bike, FSA (vision) carbon crank, dura-ace shifters and RD, Ultegra FD and TRP aero post mount brakes. I have to say the shifting is pretty nice with a cleaner installation. It's awesome being able to shift from the brake levers which was the primary reason I got it.

Reactions: Mengtian
The correct answer is, obviously, Campagnolo Chorus mechanical!

Seriously, the new 105 mechanical 5800 has a really slow front derailleur also. Trim on it works fine and upshifts are just 'moderately' slow. A downshift to the 39 takes a calendar to time...very slow to react compared to Campy.

Ultegra Di2 and mechanical both enjoy solid reviews as Mengtian stated. Very few reviewers that have ridden both groups think Dura-Ace Di2 is worth the extra money. YMMV. of course.

I guess the electronic/mechanical tradeoff is the constant mechanical cable wear and replacing vs. servo motor/derailleur replacing. I'm still on mechanical groups, but I got the itch to try Chorus EPS.

Like you, I'm still a bit wary of the electronic stuff. Maybe when the next generation issues are out I'll make the jump.

Thanks CampyBob. I just got off the phone with my LBS and they are really great to work with. I think I am going to go with the Fuji Ttansonic 2.3 which is Ultegra mechanical with Oval Crank and 105 Cassette. I might switch out cassette with Ultegra just because LOL.

Saving of about 1000 bucks which can go toward better tires.

I love the cervello but $3750 for Ultegra group (mechanical) is kind of steep

As campy stated "Very few reviewers that have ridden both groups think Dura-Ace Di2 is worth the extra money"

And on that point I whole heartedly agree. For the price difference... the lag of the front derailleur and the very slight difference in the rear derailleur is not really worth the extra money. The brakes (mechanical) are much improved with the Ultegra 6800 over it's predecessor and much closer to it's higher priced Dura-Ace counterpart. It's really hard to justify the extra cost.

Performance alone though (throwing value out the window) Di2 is still better... as it should be.

I honestly feel the same way about Dura-Ace in general. Ultegra 6800 was such an improvement, almost to the point in being TOO good, that I honestly would never recommend Dura-Ace to anyone. Buy nicer wheels, or a nicer frame, or nicer bars... upgrade all of it. Dura Ace, while nice, is ridiculously more money for not a whole lot of increase in performance.

Mengtian - I think you made a smart decision. Hope you enjoy the bike.

Um. Cervelo would be the way to go IMO. Having to charge up your derailleurs is a bit a surd. I mean, what if they die mid ride? Sounds like a PITA gimmick to me. Seems that's all they sell nowadays are PITA gimmicks. Its disgusting.

My Fuji Transonic 2.3 comes in on Tuesday and I will be fitted on Wed. I will do a review when I get riding it. I am doing a century on 11 July and want to get a couple hundred miles on the bike first so I can make sure it is fitted good.

31-3238-CSL-SIDE.JPG

I am pretty excited. I think the price point Fuji has done is amazing. The only thing I am considering swapping out the 105 casette for the Ultegra. I have heard it does not really make much of a difference.......any thoughts?

Save your money. You'll never notice the difference. Ride the cassette until it wears out, then if you must upgrade, do it then. Other than on a scale, I can't tell the difference between a 105, Ultegra or Dura Ace cassette. And as I have all of those on various wheelsets, I would have to look at the writing on the lick ring to tell what is on what.

"Save your money. You'll never notice the difference. Ride the cassette until it wears out, then if you must upgrade, do it then."

This.

I had to go to an Ultegra stack to get the ratios I needed. There was zero shifting difference between my OEM 5800 105 cassette and the Ultegra unit I replaced it with.