Ultegra Double vs. Triple

serenaslu

Feb 3, 2004
I've been bouncing back and forth on whether to go double or triple for my new ride. I am pretty well convinced that I am going to end up with an FSA crank and the rest Ultegra. I have always riden a double, but am thinking that as I am getting a bit older and there are some moderate hills the added range might be nice. I can pretty well deal with conceptualizing ratio difference whether I go from my current 42/52 to either a 39/53 or 30/40/52. But my big hangup is how smooth the longer cage on the rear derailleur shifts in comparison to the Ultegra short cage. It just looks clunky. Any expereince?

Originally posted by serenaslu
I've been bouncing back and forth on whether to go double or triple for my new ride. I am pretty well convinced that I am going to end up with an FSA crank and the rest Ultegra. I have always riden a double, but am thinking that as I am getting a bit older and there are some moderate hills the added range might be nice. I can pretty well deal with conceptualizing ratio difference whether I go from my current 42/52 to either a 39/53 or 30/40/52. But my big hangup is how smooth the longer cage on the rear derailleur shifts in comparison to the Ultegra short cage. It just looks clunky. Any expereince?

I rode an Ultegra triple last summer (LeMond Victoire) in addition to spending time on Dura Ace 2x9, and honestly noticed no difference. This is the last concern I would have in making a selection between a double and a triple... I am riding Campy Record this year, (2x10) but would have no concerns what-so-ever about another triple in the future.

I recently went from an ultegra triple to an fsa compact double with new DA front and rear derailleurs. I really like the compact. but I never had any performance problems with the triple. I seldom used the third ring, and wanted something new, so went with the compact. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the triple if conditions dictate.

Originally posted by serenaslu
But my big hangup is how smooth the longer cage on the rear derailleur shifts in comparison to the Ultegra short cage. It just looks clunky. Any expereince?
It really makes no difference ,but if it bothers you, you can run a short cage with a triple.Just stay out of the small cogs when in the granny ring.