Ultegra FDR-Too stiff

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mehozi, Feb 24, 2003.

  1. Mehozi

    Mehozi Guest

    I have installed an Ultegra triple set up on my wife's bike. Though she has over a 1000 miles, the
    FDR set up is extreamly stiff. LBS wants to install XT FDR as it has more leverage easing the
    pressure at the lever - any comments if this will work. Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. > I have installed an Ultegra triple set up on my wife's bike. Though she
    has
    > over a 1000 miles, the FDR set up is extreamly stiff. LBS wants to install
    XT
    > FDR as it has more leverage easing the pressure at the lever - any
    comments if
    > this will work. Thanks.

    An XT front derailleur is not the answer; it's made to work with a much smaller chainring size than
    the 52/42/30 that comes with the Ultegra. Check to make sure your cables are lubed under the bottom
    bracket. Don't just oil them, use a decent grease. Also, she's using them from the top of the brake
    hood, right? Trying to shift the front derailleur from the drops is very difficult, especially for
    those with small hands.

    "Mehozi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have installed an Ultegra triple set up on my wife's bike. Though she
    has
    > over a 1000 miles, the FDR set up is extreamly stiff. LBS wants to install
    XT
    > FDR as it has more leverage easing the pressure at the lever - any
    comments if
    > this will work. Thanks.

  3. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On 25 Feb 2003 03:09:32 GMT, [email protected] (Mehozi) wrote:

    >I have installed an Ultegra triple set up on my wife's bike. Though she has over a 1000 miles, the
    >FDR set up is extreamly stiff. LBS wants to install XT FDR as it has more leverage easing the
    >pressure at the lever - any comments if this will work. Thanks.

    Check to see that the derailleur cable passes OVER the little protrusion where it attaches to the
    derailleur. If it passes under the protrusion shifting will be extremely stiff.

    If this is confusing, remove the screw that secures the cable and check out where the little cable
    groove is.

  4. Peter Cole

    Peter Cole Guest

    "Mehozi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I have installed an Ultegra triple set up on my wife's bike. Though she has over a 1000 miles, the
    > FDR set up is extreamly stiff. LBS wants to install
    XT
    > FDR as it has more leverage easing the pressure at the lever - any comments
    if
    > this will work. Thanks.

    I thought Shimano road & MTB front derailers were incompatible.

  5. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I have installed an Ultegra triple set up on my wife's bike. Though she has over a 1000 miles, the
    >FDR set up is extreamly stiff. LBS wants to install XT FDR as it has more leverage easing the
    >pressure at the lever - any comments if this will work. Thanks.

    As others have suggested make sure the cables are lubed and that the area where the cable passes
    under the bottom bracket is frictionless. With older bikes that have brazed on guides, it sometimes
    pays off to remove a piece of the plastic sleeve from an outer cable and slide it over the bare
    cable where it passes under the BB, this reduces friction and helps shifting.

    Another issue is the derailleur itself, make sure it is properly lubed and free moving. I rode a
    bike for a few years that was tight in the front. One day I spent sometime lubing and cleaning the
    front derailleur and it changed from being tight to being a dream shifter.

    Also note that if the XT derailleur actually did have a different amount of leverage, it would then
    have the wrong amount of travel for your shifters. As others have noted, for a road triple, you need
    to stick with your current derailleur anyway.

    jon isaacs

  6. Peter-<< have installed an Ultegra triple set up on my wife's bike. Though she has
    > over a 1000 miles, the FDR set up is extreamly stiff. LBS wants to install
    XT
    > FDR

    This won't work, different dimensions of the arms, will not work..

  7. Mehozi

    Mehozi Guest

    [email protected] (Mehozi) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I have installed an Ultegra triple set up on my wife's bike. Though she has over a 1000 miles, the
    > FDR set up is extreamly stiff. LBS wants to install XT FDR as it has more leverage easing the
    > pressure at the lever - any comments if this will work. Thanks.

    And the winner is - John Everret - cable was incorrectly passing under the tab and not over it. I
    also have a C'dale road tandem with same problem - came that way from C'Dale. Thanks John.