Ultegra FDR-Too stiff

Mehozi

Guest
I have installed an Ultegra triple set up on my wife's bike. Though she has over a 1000 miles, the
FDR set up is extreamly stiff. LBS wants to install XT FDR as it has more leverage easing the
pressure at the lever - any comments if this will work. Thanks.

> I have installed an Ultegra triple set up on my wife's bike. Though she
has
> over a 1000 miles, the FDR set up is extreamly stiff. LBS wants to install
XT
> FDR as it has more leverage easing the pressure at the lever - any
comments if
> this will work. Thanks.

An XT front derailleur is not the answer; it's made to work with a much smaller chainring size than
the 52/42/30 that comes with the Ultegra. Check to make sure your cables are lubed under the bottom
bracket. Don't just oil them, use a decent grease. Also, she's using them from the top of the brake
hood, right? Trying to shift the front derailleur from the drops is very difficult, especially for
those with small hands.

On 25 Feb 2003 03:09:32 GMT, [email protected] (Mehozi) wrote:

>I have installed an Ultegra triple set up on my wife's bike. Though she has over a 1000 miles, the
>FDR set up is extreamly stiff. LBS wants to install XT FDR as it has more leverage easing the
>pressure at the lever - any comments if this will work. Thanks.

Check to see that the derailleur cable passes OVER the little protrusion where it attaches to the
derailleur. If it passes under the protrusion shifting will be extremely stiff.

If this is confusing, remove the screw that secures the cable and check out where the little cable
groove is.

"Mehozi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I have installed an Ultegra triple set up on my wife's bike. Though she has over a 1000 miles, the
> FDR set up is extreamly stiff. LBS wants to install
XT
> FDR as it has more leverage easing the pressure at the lever - any comments
if
> this will work. Thanks.

I thought Shimano road & MTB front derailers were incompatible.

>I have installed an Ultegra triple set up on my wife's bike. Though she has over a 1000 miles, the
>FDR set up is extreamly stiff. LBS wants to install XT FDR as it has more leverage easing the
>pressure at the lever - any comments if this will work. Thanks.

As others have suggested make sure the cables are lubed and that the area where the cable passes
under the bottom bracket is frictionless. With older bikes that have brazed on guides, it sometimes
pays off to remove a piece of the plastic sleeve from an outer cable and slide it over the bare
cable where it passes under the BB, this reduces friction and helps shifting.

Another issue is the derailleur itself, make sure it is properly lubed and free moving. I rode a
bike for a few years that was tight in the front. One day I spent sometime lubing and cleaning the
front derailleur and it changed from being tight to being a dream shifter.

Also note that if the XT derailleur actually did have a different amount of leverage, it would then
have the wrong amount of travel for your shifters. As others have noted, for a road triple, you need
to stick with your current derailleur anyway.

jon isaacs

Peter-<< have installed an Ultegra triple set up on my wife's bike. Though she has
> over a 1000 miles, the FDR set up is extreamly stiff. LBS wants to install
XT
> FDR

This won't work, different dimensions of the arms, will not work..

[email protected] (Mehozi) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have installed an Ultegra triple set up on my wife's bike. Though she has over a 1000 miles, the
> FDR set up is extreamly stiff. LBS wants to install XT FDR as it has more leverage easing the
> pressure at the lever - any comments if this will work. Thanks.

And the winner is - John Everret - cable was incorrectly passing under the tab and not over it. I
also have a C'dale road tandem with same problem - came that way from C'Dale. Thanks John.