Ultegra front derailer..No Shift

lasombra

Jul 17, 2007
Hello! Just bought a new Kestrel Talon...Shimano Ultegra....The front derailer will NOT shift up to the larger chainring......have made many adjustments to stop screws to no avail...it acts like it does not have enough travel to the outside to engage large chainring....CABLE is not slack...It has Ultegra Flightdeck Shifters..any help greatly appreciated...Thank You

lasombra said:
Hello! Just bought a new Kestrel Talon...Shimano Ultegra....The front derailer will NOT shift up to the larger chainring......have made many adjustments to stop screws to no avail...it acts like it does not have enough travel to the outside to engage large chainring....CABLE is not slack...It has Ultegra Flightdeck Shifters..any help greatly appreciated...Thank You

The limit screws only provide a theoretical limit to how far the mechanism can move up and down. The move to the big ring is dependant on cable tension. If you don't have enough cable tension, then you won't make the shift, it makes zero difference to how far you've opened up the high limit screw.

So you need more cable tension (assuming the derailleur is actually positioned correctly). Release all cable tension by moving the inner paddle shifter until there are no more stops. If you have cable tension adjusters either in line on the cable or on the frame stops, screw them out a few turns. Repeat until it shifts correctly.

If you don't have any cable tensioners (why do people set bikes up like this!). You need to undo the cable clamp on the derailleur, and try to pull the cable tight enough before reclamping that you have sufficient tension. If you still can't get sufficient tension undo the low limit screw all the way first, reclamp, reset the low limit then see how you are travelling.

--brett

sideshow_bob said:
The limit screws only provide a theoretical limit to how far the mechanism can move up and down. The move to the big ring is dependant on cable tension. If you don't have enough cable tension, then you won't make the shift, it makes zero difference to how far you've opened up the high limit screw.

So you need more cable tension (assuming the derailleur is actually positioned correctly). Release all cable tension by moving the inner paddle shifter until there are no more stops. If you have cable tension adjusters either in line on the cable or on the frame stops, screw them out a few turns. Repeat until it shifts correctly.

If you don't have any cable tensioners (why do people set bikes up like this!). You need to undo the cable clamp on the derailleur, and try to pull the cable tight enough before reclamping that you have sufficient tension. If you still can't get sufficient tension undo the low limit screw all the way first, reclamp, reset the low limit then see how you are travelling.

--brett

Thank You Brett.......makes sense.....cable tension...will do today..happy riding!!!!!!!!!!

sideshow_bob said:

--brett
" The move to the big ring is dependent on cable tension"......you were exactly right.... I unloosened all......pulled cable some.... moved the stop screws and she shifts very well indeed......Thank You very much

This is my first new bike in 24 years and my first bike with paddle shifters......second bike is a '84 CIOCC original with Campy Record...I'll give it a rest......started doing longer distances in the middle sixties on a Schwinn Varsity......still thrilled by riding......especially in the very early morning...we leave at 5AM and ride the Van Fleet Trail (60 miles) here in Central Florida...it goes through some of the last Virgin Forest left in Florida.....And I thank you again for your help and general moral support......good traveling...

lasombra said:
" The move to the big ring is dependent on cable tension"......you were exactly right.... I unloosened all......pulled cable some.... moved the stop screws and she shifts very well indeed......Thank You very much

This is my first new bike in 24 years and my first bike with paddle shifters......second bike is a '84 CIOCC original with Campy Record...I'll give it a rest......started doing longer distances in the middle sixties on a Schwinn Varsity......still thrilled by riding......especially in the very early morning...we leave at 5AM and ride the Van Fleet Trail (60 miles) here in Central Florida...it goes through some of the last Virgin Forest left in Florida.....And I thank you again for your help and general moral support......good traveling...

Saw you had a couple of basic component questions regarding the "new tech" that has evolved since your Ciocc (one of my favorite 80's brands by the way). I know you got your questions answered, but it would be worth your checking the Park Tool Repair site for good information on adjustments and repairs. Enjoy the new Kestrel.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

John M said:
Saw you had a couple of basic component questions regarding the "new tech" that has evolved since your Ciocc (one of my favorite 80's brands by the way). I know you got your questions answered, but it would be worth your checking the Park Tool Repair site for good information on adjustments and repairs. Enjoy the new Kestrel.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/

Mil Gracias John M.....goo info..Good on Ya..safe taveling