Ultegra Front Derailleur Clamp Size

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by lava, Jan 21, 2007.

1. lava

lava New Member

Man, I just bought a new 9-speed FD-6503 off of eBay, and now that I have it I realize it's a 29.6mm clamp and not a 34.9 like I need. Is there anything I can do about this aside from buying another new one? Does anybody want to trade? [​IMG] Will a new 10-speed Ultegra front derailleur work with my 9-speed setup?

Tags:

2. capwater

capwater New Member

Caveat emptor. You need to get a braze-on FD and an adapter clamp of proper diameter size. Put the old one back on eBay.

3. Retro Grouch

Retro Grouch New Member

Check out the derailleur that you have. I own 2 Ultegra front derailleurs. One has a 31.8 clamp, the other has a 35.0 clamp. Both look like braze-on derailleurs that are bolted onto a separate clamp. If your derailleur has a 5mm allen bolt that points toward the front, all that you need to do is to buy the right size braze-on adapter clamp.

4. serenaslu

serenaslu New Member

I was thinking the same thing, but looking at it, it appears that the stroke adjusting screws are integral with the clamp in the clamp-on version; so you would need the little block to mate with the braze-on adapter clamp, if I am not mistaken. (see attachment)

Since, it's new, you could also try to see if a decent LBS would trade you (I probably wouldn't emphasize that you got it on E-Bay) for a proper size (even offer a few bucks) ; or might have an applicable buggered FD in the parts bin that could be robbed for the needed items.

I've heard mixed things about using the 5600/6600/7800 series FDs with a 9-speed setup. Some people have expressed concerns that the narrower cage may be a problem with a 9-speed chain, particuarly if a removable link is use. I, however, have no first hand experience. Other's might have a bettter idea as to the functionality of this.

5. lava

lava New Member

I was thinking of going into my LBS and seeing if I could strike up a trade of some kind...

It's really strange how few 34.9 FD-6503s there are on eBay compared to 24.6s.

6. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

Do you happen to have another, older 9-speed ULTEGRA front derailleur that the new 6503 is replacing?

If so, you can simply unbolt the two arms, and swap them ... [you can't do this with the 105 or DA front derailleurs]. I've swapped 6500 cages for 6503 cages and vice-versa from braze-on mounts to 28.6 clamps to better suit the frame the derailleur was being mounted on.

PLEASE NOTE: It is a little tricky (ONLY barely) reattaching the second arm ... let me know if this is the avenue you want to pursue, and I'll walk you through the steps.

7. lava

lava New Member

Unfortunately I don't. I'm upgrading from a 105 9-speed triple derailleur.

8. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

My memory fails me (what else is new?) ... are the pivot arms attached to the clamping body by way of C-clips OR are they riveted in place?

If C-clips are used, you can (if you feel like taking the chance) pop the C-clips (I recommend that you do THAT procedure with the derailleur inside a plastic bag so that any free-flying parts are contained!), swap the cages, and re-install the C-clips (often a VERY TEDIOUS & TRICKY process, itself, based on my past experiences) ...

9. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

From page 235 of the 2006 Shimano Trade and Sales Support Manual:

Clamp Front Derailleur,
    34.9mm internal diameter, SM-AD15, Code No. Y-57Y 91100.

For 31.8mm, SM-AD11, Code No. Y-57Y 92100

From the pix, it looks like a normal FD bolts on to the clamp.

10. supergrill

supergrill New Member

That's only going to work with the brazed-on type, not the band type. See Serenaslu's post above for explanation and attached diagram

11. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Well spotted, from the diagram below, Brazed on only!!