Ultegra Front Derailleur Issues

cali-largeguy

Aug 26, 2005
I have an Ultegra front derailleur for an ultegra triple crank that I am constantly having issues with. It is only 2 months old and it seems that every time I go out for a ride at about mile 20 it starts slipping. I can't shift into the large chainring, and am sometimes stuck with only the middle ring. Most times I can do a roadside fix to at least give me the middle and the bottom. I get home, throw it on the bike stand and can fix it where it works fine on the stand, but again 15-20miles into the next ride same thing happens. Anyone else have this issue or heard of it? Help!

cali-largeguy said:
I have an Ultegra front derailleur for an ultegra triple crank that I am constantly having issues with. It is only 2 months old and it seems that every time I go out for a ride at about mile 20 it starts slipping. I can't shift into the large chainring, and am sometimes stuck with only the middle ring. Most times I can do a roadside fix to at least give me the middle and the bottom. I get home, throw it on the bike stand and can fix it where it works fine on the stand, but again 15-20miles into the next ride same thing happens. Anyone else have this issue or heard of it? Help!
Check the limit screws. You make have to back the outer one out a bit. Check out Park Tools website if you're not sure.

Is the FD slipping down the seat tube? Remove and clean, be careful not to overtighten when refitting. Also note you have 2 shifter positions on the middle ring. Are you trying to use a trim position for the big ring?

cali-largeguy said:

What do you do on the work stand that makes it function? Sounds mostly like a slipping cable anchor or frayed cable. Also common is poor derailleur placement/alignment, improper stops, and barrel adjusters past their limit.

PeterF said:
Check the limit screws. You make have to back the outer one out a bit. Check out Park Tools website if you're not sure.
Already adjusted the limit screws, and the trim adjustment. I finally got sick of dealing with it, after numerous fixes, and took it into the lbs where i bought it. Told them to fix it or replace it since it's only a couple of weeks old. We'll see what happens.

Check your cable stops. If you see any little wires sticking out, that's your problem. Sometimes the cable housing fails on the ends and effectively shortens itself as you ride. If that's the case, you'll want new cable housing.