ultegra front derailluer/chainring issue

Archibald

Jun 19, 2006
am having problems with shifting to the large chainring during rides.
it basically just stays on the small chainring making a whole lotta noise.
occasionally, it will go onto the large chainring, but this appears to be random in terms of when it does regardless of any attempt at "trimming" or clicking the levers back to the small chainring then retrying to go to the large chainring.
i've varied cadence's when trying this but it does not appear to make a difference if i'm at 70something or over 100rpm...

i'd be pretty confident that this isn't the norm for ultegra. anyone have an idea of what i may be doing wrong (fairly new to road bike riding) or some little tweek that may solve this before taking it in to the LBS to have a look...

Archibald said:
am having problems with shifting to the large chainring during rides.
it basically just stays on the small chainring making a whole lotta noise.
occasionally, it will go onto the large chainring, but this appears to be random in terms of when it does regardless of any attempt at "trimming" or clicking the levers back to the small chainring then retrying to go to the large chainring.
i've varied cadence's when trying this but it does not appear to make a difference if i'm at 70something or over 100rpm...

i'd be pretty confident that this isn't the norm for ultegra. anyone have an idea of what i may be doing wrong (fairly new to road bike riding) or some little tweek that may solve this before taking it in to the LBS to have a look...
This is something that you can do yourself. Sounds like the FD cable may have stretched a bit and needs re-tensioning.

Try Park tool website for instructions.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=75

Start at the beginning and check to make sure that everything is lined up. It is not too hard.