Ultegra Front with bar end

daveornee

New Member
Sep 18, 2003
2,763
I would like to attain more "holding power" from a front bar end shifter.
I am using an Ultegra FD-6503 front deraileur and Bar-End Shifters - SL-BS77.
How can I get more holding power in the front bar end shifter?
As I ride along, especially over bumps, the spring tension of the Front Deraileur pulls the shifter towards a downshift.

Is there a method to get more holding power?

Is there another bar end shifter that has sufficient holding power to counteract the FD spring under all riding conditions.

I would appreciated a direct response to:
dave at ornee dot net

dave-<< As I ride along, especially over bumps, the spring tension of the Front Deraileur pulls the
shifter towards a downshift. >><BR><BR>

Tighten the bolt??

daveornee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I would like to attain more "holding power" from a front bar end shifter. I am using an Ultegra
> FD-6503 front deraileur and Bar-End Shifters - SL-BS77. How can I get more holding power in the
> front bar end shifter? As I ride along, especially over bumps, the spring tension of the Front
> Deraileur pulls the shifter towards a downshift.
>
> Is there a method to get more holding power?
>
> Is there another bar end shifter that has sufficient holding power to counteract the FD spring
> under all riding conditions.
>
> I would appreciated a direct response to: dave at ornee dot net

Tighten the screw at the pivot of the shifter. Use a good screwdriver and crank on it- it'll take a
lot more torque than you can dish out.

Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Wills
daveornee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> I would like to attain more "holding power" from a front bar end shifter. I am using an Ultegra
> FD-6503 front deraileur and Bar-End Shifters - SL-BS77. How can I get more holding power in the
> front bar end shifter? As I ride along, especially over bumps, the spring tension of the Front
> Deraileur pulls the shifter towards a downshift.
>
> Is there a method to get more holding power?
>
> Is there another bar end shifter that has sufficient holding power to counteract the FD spring
> under all riding conditions.
>
> I would appreciated a direct response to: dave at ornee dot net

Tighten the screw at the pivot of the shifter. Use a good screwdriver and crank on it- it'll take a
lot more torque than you can dish out.

Jeff

Jeff and Peter are correct. The Shimano tourque specification is 21 - 26 in. lbs. That is what I tried. I then tried tripling the tourque... still not enough holding power. I finally tried 25 foot pounds. I was finally sucessful at this tourque... 12 times the factory specified amount.
I would'not have believed it if I hadn't heard it here and tried it.
Thank you,
David Ornee, Western Springs, IL foot pounds

daveornee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Jeff and Peter are correct. The Shimano tourque specification is 21 - 26
> in. lbs. That is what I tried. I then tried tripling the tourque... still not enough holding
> power. I finally tried 25 foot pounds. I was finally sucessful at this tourque... 12 times the
> factory specified amount. I would'not have believed it if I hadn't heard it here and tried
> it. Thank you, David Ornee, Western Springs, IL foot pounds

Geez- a torque-measuring screwdriver... whoda thought? I just cranked on mine until they stopped
moving. That's what you get when you're educated at GBH Bike Shop (Getta Bigger Hammer). :)

Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Wills
daveornee <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Jeff and Peter are correct. The Shimano tourque specification is 21 - 26
> in. lbs. That is what I tried. I then tried tripling the tourque... still not enough holding
> power. I finally tried 25 foot pounds. I was finally sucessful at this tourque... 12 times the
> factory specified amount. I would'not have believed it if I hadn't heard it here and tried
> it. Thank you, David Ornee, Western Springs, IL foot pounds

Geez- a torque-measuring screwdriver... whoda thought? I just cranked on mine until they stopped
moving. That's what you get when you're educated at GBH Bike Shop (Getta Bigger Hammer). :)

Jeff

I have screwdriver bits and Allen bits that fit my torque wrenches.
I have one torque wrench for inch pounds settings up to 250 and another for Foot Pounds. Both wrenches have the preset method to determine when I have reached the specified torque.

On 2 Oct 2003 07:50:54 +0950, daveornee <[email protected]> wrote:
>I have screwdriver bits and Allen bits that fit my torque wrenches. I have one torque wrench for
>inch pounds settings up to 250 and another for Foot Pounds. Both wrenches have the preset method to
>determine when I have reached the specified torque.

It's easy enough to use any regular bits in a regular torque wrench. For screwdriver bits, they're
usually 1/4" hex drive, so just use a 1/4" socket on the torque wrench. For allen bits, I have a
hard time finding large allen bits with 1/4" hex drive; so it may be necessary to cut the end off of
a regular allen wrench, and use it in a socket of the same size (7mm allen wrench? 7mm socket.).

Anybody know where to get 1/4" hex drive allen wrenches in sizes larger than 1/8"?

--
Rick "Hadn't noticed this thread before" Onanian

Originally posted by Rick Onanian
On 2 Oct 2003 07:50:54 +0950, daveornee <[email protected]> wrote:
>I have screwdriver bits and Allen bits that fit my torque wrenches. I have one torque wrench for
>inch pounds settings up to 250 and another for Foot Pounds. Both wrenches have the preset method to
>determine when I have reached the specified torque.

It's easy enough to use any regular bits in a regular torque wrench. For screwdriver bits, they're
usually 1/4" hex drive, so just use a 1/4" socket on the torque wrench. For allen bits, I have a
hard time finding large allen bits with 1/4" hex drive; so it may be necessary to cut the end off of
a regular allen wrench, and use it in a socket of the same size (7mm allen wrench? 7mm socket.).

Anybody know where to get 1/4" hex drive allen wrenches in sizes larger than 1/8"?

--
Rick "Hadn't noticed this thread before" Onanian

I got mine from Park Tools; called " Torque Wrench Sockets and Bits Set TWB-1" shown at the Park Tool web site at URL:
http://www.parktool.com/tools/TWB_1.shtml
I don't know about any 7 mm Allen wrenches.
I bought the screw driver bits at my local hardware store.
You are correct, Rick, I hold them in a hex socket that mates precisely with them.

In article <[email protected]>, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

> On 2 Oct 2003 07:50:54 +0950, daveornee <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I have screwdriver bits and Allen bits that fit my torque wrenches. I have one torque wrench for
> >inch pounds settings up to 250 and another for Foot Pounds. Both wrenches have the preset method
> >to determine when I have reached the specified torque.
>
> It's easy enough to use any regular bits in a regular torque wrench. For screwdriver bits, they're
> usually 1/4" hex drive, so just use a 1/4" socket on the torque wrench. For allen bits, I have a
> hard time finding large allen bits with 1/4" hex drive; so it may be necessary to cut the end off
> of a regular allen wrench, and use it in a socket of the same size (7mm allen wrench? 7mm
> socket.).
>
> Anybody know where to get 1/4" hex drive allen wrenches in sizes larger than 1/8"?
>
> --
> Rick "Hadn't noticed this thread before" Onanian

Have you tried Sears??? Is there one in Providence? They are definitly not cheap!

HAND

--
"Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 13:01:27 GMT, "H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Anybody know where to get 1/4" hex drive allen wrenches in sizes larger than 1/8"?
>
>Have you tried Sears???

Yup, every time I go into a Sears, I look...and I go into Sears almost as often as Tim Allen. Okay,
more like once every two or three months...but enough. They never have 'em.

>Is there one in Providence?

Don't know specifically in Providence, but there's one in Warwick and one in North Attleboro, MA,
each of which I've looked in. I did find a nice folding tree saw for MTBing, though.

>They are definitly not cheap!

I imagine not.

--
Rick "More bits!" Onanian