Ultegra Front with bar end

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by daveornee, Sep 22, 2003.

  1. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    I would like to attain more "holding power" from a front bar end shifter.
    I am using an Ultegra FD-6503 front deraileur and Bar-End Shifters - SL-BS77.
    How can I get more holding power in the front bar end shifter?
    As I ride along, especially over bumps, the spring tension of the Front Deraileur pulls the shifter towards a downshift.

    Is there a method to get more holding power?

    Is there another bar end shifter that has sufficient holding power to counteract the FD spring under all riding conditions.

    I would appreciated a direct response to:
    dave at ornee dot net

    Tags:

  2. dave-<< As I ride along, especially over bumps, the spring tension of the Front Deraileur pulls the
    shifter towards a downshift. >><BR><BR>

    Tighten the bolt??

  3. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    daveornee <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > I would like to attain more "holding power" from a front bar end shifter. I am using an Ultegra
    > FD-6503 front deraileur and Bar-End Shifters - SL-BS77. How can I get more holding power in the
    > front bar end shifter? As I ride along, especially over bumps, the spring tension of the Front
    > Deraileur pulls the shifter towards a downshift.
    >
    > Is there a method to get more holding power?
    >
    > Is there another bar end shifter that has sufficient holding power to counteract the FD spring
    > under all riding conditions.
    >
    > I would appreciated a direct response to: dave at ornee dot net

    Tighten the screw at the pivot of the shifter. Use a good screwdriver and crank on it- it'll take a
    lot more torque than you can dish out.

    Jeff

  4. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    Jeff and Peter are correct. The Shimano tourque specification is 21 - 26 in. lbs. That is what I tried. I then tried tripling the tourque... still not enough holding power. I finally tried 25 foot pounds. I was finally sucessful at this tourque... 12 times the factory specified amount.
    I would'not have believed it if I hadn't heard it here and tried it.
    Thank you,
    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL foot pounds

  5. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    daveornee <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<3f775400$1_[email protected]>...
    > Jeff and Peter are correct. The Shimano tourque specification is 21 - 26
    > in. lbs. That is what I tried. I then tried tripling the tourque... still not enough holding
    > power. I finally tried 25 foot pounds. I was finally sucessful at this tourque... 12 times the
    > factory specified amount. I would'not have believed it if I hadn't heard it here and tried
    > it. Thank you, David Ornee, Western Springs, IL foot pounds

    Geez- a torque-measuring screwdriver... whoda thought? I just cranked on mine until they stopped
    moving. That's what you get when you're educated at GBH Bike Shop (Getta Bigger Hammer). :)

    Jeff

  6. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    I have screwdriver bits and Allen bits that fit my torque wrenches.
    I have one torque wrench for inch pounds settings up to 250 and another for Foot Pounds. Both wrenches have the preset method to determine when I have reached the specified torque.

  7. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On 2 Oct 2003 07:50:54 +0950, daveornee <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I have screwdriver bits and Allen bits that fit my torque wrenches. I have one torque wrench for
    >inch pounds settings up to 250 and another for Foot Pounds. Both wrenches have the preset method to
    >determine when I have reached the specified torque.

    It's easy enough to use any regular bits in a regular torque wrench. For screwdriver bits, they're
    usually 1/4" hex drive, so just use a 1/4" socket on the torque wrench. For allen bits, I have a
    hard time finding large allen bits with 1/4" hex drive; so it may be necessary to cut the end off of
    a regular allen wrench, and use it in a socket of the same size (7mm allen wrench? 7mm socket.).

    Anybody know where to get 1/4" hex drive allen wrenches in sizes larger than 1/8"?

    --
    Rick "Hadn't noticed this thread before" Onanian

  8. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    I got mine from Park Tools; called " Torque Wrench Sockets and Bits Set TWB-1" shown at the Park Tool web site at URL:
    http://www.parktool.com/tools/TWB_1.shtml
    I don't know about any 7 mm Allen wrenches.
    I bought the screw driver bits at my local hardware store.
    You are correct, Rick, I hold them in a hex socket that mates precisely with them.
    David Ornee, Western Springs, IL

  9. H. M. Leary

    H. M. Leary Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 2 Oct 2003 07:50:54 +0950, daveornee <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >I have screwdriver bits and Allen bits that fit my torque wrenches. I have one torque wrench for
    > >inch pounds settings up to 250 and another for Foot Pounds. Both wrenches have the preset method
    > >to determine when I have reached the specified torque.
    >
    > It's easy enough to use any regular bits in a regular torque wrench. For screwdriver bits, they're
    > usually 1/4" hex drive, so just use a 1/4" socket on the torque wrench. For allen bits, I have a
    > hard time finding large allen bits with 1/4" hex drive; so it may be necessary to cut the end off
    > of a regular allen wrench, and use it in a socket of the same size (7mm allen wrench? 7mm
    > socket.).
    >
    > Anybody know where to get 1/4" hex drive allen wrenches in sizes larger than 1/8"?
    >
    > --
    > Rick "Hadn't noticed this thread before" Onanian

    Have you tried Sears??? Is there one in Providence? They are definitly not cheap!

    HAND

    --
    "Freedom Is a Light for Which Many Have Died in Darkness"

  10. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Thu, 02 Oct 2003 13:01:27 GMT, "H. M. Leary" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Anybody know where to get 1/4" hex drive allen wrenches in sizes larger than 1/8"?
    >
    >Have you tried Sears???

    Yup, every time I go into a Sears, I look...and I go into Sears almost as often as Tim Allen. Okay,
    more like once every two or three months...but enough. They never have 'em.

    >Is there one in Providence?

    Don't know specifically in Providence, but there's one in Warwick and one in North Attleboro, MA,
    each of which I've looked in. I did find a nice folding tree saw for MTBing, though.

    >They are definitly not cheap!

    I imagine not.

    --
    Rick "More bits!" Onanian