Ultegra hubs 1998 vs 2000

Grant

Guest
Which hubs are better - Ultegra 2000 or Ultegra 1998?

Grant

"Grant" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Which hubs are better - Ultegra 2000 or Ultegra 1998?

There's no difference - the 6500 series hubs replaced the
earlier 6400 series in 1998 and are still current. Compared
to the 6400 hubs, 6500 are slightly lighter, have nicer
seals, and will take an 11t small sprocket without
modification.

James Thomson

Originally posted by Grant
Which hubs are better - Ultegra 2000 or Ultegra 1998?

Grant

If you can, get the Ultegra 6500 version:
Borozon Treated Races: Diamond polished bearing races provide ultra-smooth bearing action.
Labyrinth & Contact Sealing: Shuts out water, mud and dirt.

The older hubs take an 11t sprocket as well. My wife's bike
came with 8-speed Ultegra/600 components, and I fitted an
11-32 cassette on the hub without any problems.

Nick

"Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote:

> The older hubs take an 11t sprocket as well. My wife's
> bike came with 8-speed Ultegra/600 components, and I
> fitted an 11-32 cassette on the hub without any problems.

Evidently there was some variation in the style of freehub
body fitted: my 6402 hubs required the use of a spacer
behind the cassette. Did your wife's freehub have the
vestigial external Uniglide thread?

James Thomson