Ultegra Hubs

SKAUFMAN12

Jul 12, 2004
I recently repacked my Ultegra Hubs. When I spin the front wheel fast I can hear the bearings “bumping” into each other. Is this something any of you hear in your Ultegra hubs? I am nearly positive they are adjusted properly as I have repacked several hubs.

SKAUFMAN12 said:
I recently repacked my Ultegra Hubs. When I spin the front wheel fast I can hear the bearings “bumping” into each other. Is this something any of you hear in your Ultegra hubs? I am nearly positive they are adjusted properly as I have repacked several hubs.
Did you remember the grease?

SKAUFMAN12 said:

I have heard it on some "fresh from the factory" hubs.
I have also heard it on various hubs that someone else just repacked. In a few instances I open those hubs and found one ball bearing missing.... yes, one less than the prescribed number!
I am not suggesting that you are missing a bearing, but it wouldn't hurt to check. I also have seen/heard it where the bearings were not all "fresh" grade 25. If the hub has some miles on it, and you are flushing/cleaning/repacking... I suggest all new grade 25 bearings.

daveornee said:
I have heard it on some "fresh from the factory" hubs.
I have also heard it on various hubs that someone else just repacked. In a few instances I open those hubs and found one ball bearing missing.... yes, one less than the prescribed number!
I am not suggesting that you are missing a bearing, but it wouldn't hurt to check. I also have seen/heard it where the bearings were not all "fresh" grade 25. If the hub has some miles on it, and you are flushing/cleaning/repacking... I suggest all new grade 25 bearings.
Skaufman, out of curiousity how many balls are using on the front hubs? Shimano seems to disagree with itself on some of the docs. See:

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t222321-.html

SKAUFMAN12 said:

The reason you can hear your bearings "bumping into each other" is because with the use they lost their "roundness". The grinding noise is because some the bearings are now rotating on their round axis and the others are rotating on their oval axis.

The bearings now have a shape similar to that of an egg. Of course with the simple eye you will not notice it. But the fact that they make noise is a prof of that. Replace the bearings. Doing that you will extend the life of your cup and cones!!!

froque said:
The reason you can hear your bearings "bumping into each other" is because with the use they lost their "roundness". The grinding noise is because some the bearings are now rotating on their round axis and the others are rotating on their oval axis.

The bearings now have a shape similar to that of an egg. Of course with the simple eye you will not notice it. But the fact that they make noise is a prof of that. Replace the bearings. Doing that you will extend the life of your cup and cones!!!

Do you think that is possible with only about 1000 miles on these hubs? Also, I was wondering if it is because the grease I used is thick and the bearings might be sliding instead of rolling. That is, until I get rolling in some warmer weather as grease tends to soften up as the wheels spin.

SKAUFMAN12 said:
Do you think that is possible with only about 1000 miles on these hubs? Also, I was wondering if it is because the grease I used is thick and the bearings might be sliding instead of rolling. That is, until I get rolling in some warmer weather as grease tends to soften up as the wheels spin.

One of the reasons why the hubs (cup and cone) do not have the proper lifespan is because the cones are too tight/loose or the skewer is too tight that actually bends the axel.

From factory cup and cone hubs usually do not bring the proper ajustment, most of the times the are the cones are too tight. I do always re-adjust them.

I am quite sure that you had that problem (i mean too tight). The bearings now have slightly worn out faster that they should because the adjustment.

Ultegra hubs well adjusted and lubricated last very long time.

Check the park-tool page to do proper adjustments. Use a lot of time to get them right. Remenber that the skewer does not need to be too tight.

Thick grease "hides" the noise better than the thin grease, in any case it shall roll like butter if everything is Ok. If the bearings slide instead roll there is wear and/or bad adjusment. I have no explanation on why the noise dissapear when warm weather/use, probably the heat makes the cup to expand...

One thing that I use (I have never seen anybody doing this) is that "I rotate the axel" every 600 km or so, With the wheels on, I open the skewer grab the axel turn it 15 degrees to the front, close again the skewer and ready to go. This garantees even wear... That is my experience.

felroq