Ultegra rear shifter problem

Jim

Guest
Hi,

When I have been riding on the flats in the same gear for awhile and then need to shift to an easier
gear, sometimes the lever won't shift. It is flapping in the breeze, doing nothing. The lever moves
ok, but it feels real loose and no shift occurs.

If I keep trying to shift and maybe play with the little lever some also, eventually I can get it to
work and then it's ok for awhile.

However, once I'm in the same gear for awhile it's the same problem again.

I was thinking of just squirting WD40 into the shifter and if it didn't get any better to replace it
with a new DA shifter and DA rear derailur. But I don't want to do this unless I have to.

The cable seems fine, I'm assuming the shifter is the problem, I could be wrong. Any suggestions?

Thanks, - Jim Strunk

"Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi,
>
> When I have been riding on the flats in the same gear for awhile and then need to shift to an
> easier gear, sometimes the lever won't shift. It is flapping in the breeze, doing nothing. The
> lever moves ok, but it feels real loose and no shift occurs.
>
> If I keep trying to shift and maybe play with the little lever some also, eventually I can get it
> to work and then it's ok for awhile.
>
> However, once I'm in the same gear for awhile it's the same problem again.
>
> I was thinking of just squirting WD40 into the shifter and if it didn't get any better to replace
> it with a new DA shifter and DA rear derailur. But I don't want to do this unless I have to.
>
> The cable seems fine, I'm assuming the shifter is the problem, I could be wrong. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks, - Jim Strunk

I have a pair of 105 levers on my 'cross bike that do the same thing, so I'm looking at the answers
here for what to do.

The good news is that if you're running 9sp STI, you won't have to replace your r.der. with the new
D/A shifters.

Mike

>I was thinking of just squirting WD40 into the shifter and if it didn't get any better to replace
>it with a new DA shifter and DA rear derailur. But I don't want to do this unless I have to.

Besides working over the cables and making sure all is properly adjusted, a big bath with WD-40 is
likely to do the trick.

Especially if the bike has been idle over the winter, shooting the innards full of WD-40 most often
does the trick.

jon isaacs

knurts-<< When I have been riding on the flats in the same gear for awhile and then need to shift to
an easier gear, sometimes the lever won't shift. It is flapping in the breeze, doing nothing. The
lever moves ok, but it feels real loose and no shift occurs.

<< I was thinking of just squirting WD40 into the shifter and if it didn't get any better to replace
it with a new DA shifter and DA rear derailur. But I don't want to do this unless I have to.

Don't need a DA rear der...or save some money and switch to Campagnolo ERGO 9s and rear der-cheaper
and rebuildable levers-

Jim wrote:
> Hi,
>
> When I have been riding on the flats in the same gear for awhile and then need to shift to an
> easier gear, sometimes the lever won't shift. It is flapping in the breeze, doing nothing. The
> lever moves ok, but it feels real loose and no shift occurs.
>
> If I keep trying to shift and maybe play with the little lever some also, eventually I can get it
> to work and then it's ok for awhile.
>
> However, once I'm in the same gear for awhile it's the same problem again.
>
> I was thinking of just squirting WD40 into the shifter and if it didn't get any better to replace
> it with a new DA shifter and DA rear derailur. But I don't want to do this unless I have to.
>
> The cable seems fine, I'm assuming the shifter is the problem, I could be wrong. Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks, - Jim Strunk

I have something of the opposite problem. Sometimes when shifting down on my front derailleur it
feels like the shifter is stuck and it won't move at all. I'll click around on it from different
directions for a while and suddenly it gets unstuck and snaps on over. Of course the same reaction
if I'm just trying to trim. Often the trim will then result in a shift since it seems to move all
the way over when it suddenly disengages.

--
Perre

Remove and/or replace the DOTs as needed to reply

Peter,

So I can run a new 9 speed DA rear brake/shifter lever with the ultegra 9 speed rear derailer I
already have on the bike?

- Jim

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
> knurts-<< When I have been riding on the flats in the same gear for awhile and then need to shift
> to an easier gear, sometimes the lever won't shift. It is flapping in the breeze, doing nothing.
> The lever moves ok, but it feels real loose and no shift occurs.
>

> << I was thinking of just squirting WD40 into the shifter and if it didn't get any better to
> replace it with a new DA shifter and DA rear derailur. But I don't want to do this unless I
> have to.
>
> Don't need a DA rear der...or save some money and switch to Campagnolo ERGO 9s and rear
> der-cheaper and rebuildable levers-

perdot-<< Sometimes when shifting down on my front derailleur it feels like the shifter is stuck and
it won't move at all. I'll click around on it from different directions for a while and suddenly it
gets unstuck

More common failure mode for ultegra and DA levers...WD-40(sti repair kit) may help..otherwise
warranty(2 years for ultegra/3 years for DA) or replace-

LOL @sti repair kit