Ultegra Shifters Womens Reach

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Calvin, May 21, 2004.

  1. Calvin

    Calvin Guest

    A friend said he thought they had came out with Ultegra Womens
    Shifters that have a better reach for a woman. ANyone know if this is
    true? Better yet, can anyone give me some links to look at or buy
    them?

    Thanks

    calvin
    san jose

    Tags:

  2. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On 21 May 2004 20:23:01 -0700, [email protected] (Calvin) wrote:

    >A friend said he thought they had came out with Ultegra Womens
    >Shifters that have a better reach for a woman. ANyone know if this is
    >true? Better yet, can anyone give me some links to look at or buy
    >them?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >calvin
    >san jose

    Shipman ST-R600-RA is what you are looking for...

    scroll down-
    http://cambriabike.com/road/shifters_cablesets/index.htm

    and down a bit also-
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html#brifters

  3. On 21 May 2004 20:23:01 -0700, [email protected] (Calvin)
    wrote:

    >A friend said he thought they had came out with Ultegra Womens
    >Shifters that have a better reach for a woman. ANyone know if this is
    >true? Better yet, can anyone give me some links to look at or buy
    >them?
    >
    >Thanks
    >
    >calvin
    >san jose

    Dear Calvin,

    If so, brifters have caught up with deodorant technology.

    I can see the ads now . . . Ultegra Women's Brifters, "Strong
    enough for a man, but pH balanced for a woman."

    Or maybe your friend merely had longer levers in mind, giving
    riders with smaller or weaker hands more mechanical advantage in
    their wrestlling-matches with the gear-shifts?

    Carl Fogel

  4. > A friend said he thought they had came out with Ultegra Womens
    > Shifters that have a better reach for a woman. ANyone know if this is
    > true? Better yet, can anyone give me some links to look at or buy
    > them?

    Shimano's had adjustable-reach Ultegra-level shifters for a couple years
    now. They work quite nicely, and are something better road shops will
    generally have in stock. You can see them in action of the TREK 2200 &
    5200WSD models.

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    "Calvin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > A friend said he thought they had came out with Ultegra Womens
    > Shifters that have a better reach for a woman. ANyone know if this is
    > true? Better yet, can anyone give me some links to look at or buy
    > them?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > calvin
    > san jose

  5. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Fri, 21 May 2004 21:12:39 -0700, Dan Daniel
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On 21 May 2004 20:23:01 -0700, [email protected] (Calvin) wrote:
    >
    >>A friend said he thought they had came out with Ultegra Womens
    >>Shifters that have a better reach for a woman. ANyone know if this is
    >>true? Better yet, can anyone give me some links to look at or buy
    >>them?
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>
    >>calvin
    >>san jose

    >Shipman ST-R600-RA is what you are looking for...

    That should be 'Shimano,' not 'Shipman.'

  6. Tom Young

    Tom Young Guest

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > > A friend said he thought they had came out with Ultegra Womens
    > > Shifters that have a better reach for a woman. ANyone know if this is
    > > true? Better yet, can anyone give me some links to look at or buy
    > > them?

    > Shimano's had adjustable-reach Ultegra-level shifters for a couple years
    > now. They work quite nicely, and are something better road shops will
    > generally have in stock. You can see them in action of the TREK 2200 &
    > 5200WSD models.
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    > http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    I guess the "wedges" referred to go between the brifter body and the
    levers, bringing the levers closer to the handlebar when they're at
    their "rest" position? Don't you make some sacrifice in braking by
    giving up cable pull, assuming you re-adjust the brake pads so they're
    the same distance away from the rim as they'd be with "standard"
    brifters?

    Also, are the wedges available seperatly for retro-fit to standard
    levers?

    TIA.

    Tom Young

  7. > I guess the "wedges" referred to go between the brifter body and the
    > levers, bringing the levers closer to the handlebar when they're at
    > their "rest" position? Don't you make some sacrifice in braking by
    > giving up cable pull, assuming you re-adjust the brake pads so they're
    > the same distance away from the rim as they'd be with "standard"
    > brifters?

    Sure, you give up a bit of cable pull, but there's plenty of "extra" so you
    can afford to lose some and still have lots of stopping power.

    > Also, are the wedges available seperatly for retro-fit to standard
    > levers?

    No, the standard levers aren't drilled internally to fit the wedges, but you
    can do a cheap & dirty adaptation with a piece of thick innertube or
    computer-mount shim. Just cut it to size and glue it in place, using
    high-quality automotive trim cement. Works nicely for maybe a year or so
    before falling out and having to be re-glued. Fortunately, the failure mode
    isn't dangerous (in other words, nothing gets jammed up when the piece comes
    loose).

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

  8. tgyoung-<< I guess the "wedges" referred to go between the brifter body and the
    levers, bringing the levers closer to the handlebar when they're at
    their "rest" position? Don't you make some sacrifice in braking by
    giving up cable pull, >><BR><BR>

    Yes you do, and the brakes need to be adjusted well with these or the rider may
    hit the hbar with the brake lever, before getting adequate braking.

    These wedges are for the mentioned levers only.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  9. Calvin

    Calvin Guest

    Thanks Guys. She will be very happy come birthday season.

    calvin
    san jose