ultegra sl vs dura-ace decision

zaku

Jun 23, 2004
I'm currently riding a 9 speed 105 group and looking for an upgrade.

i'm hesitating on these two groups:
dura-ace 7800 (used)
ultegra SL (new)

the dura ace group is about 100$ more expensive that i can get compared to a new ultegra SL group.

My question is the new ultegra SL same as the dura-ace 7800 since the SL are lighter than the normal ultegra?
and any oppinions, feedback or suggestions about especially the ultegra SL will be appreciated!

hello I dont have much experience with either groups but I just bought my first high end bike a few months back and to keep price in check as it was new the builder recommended I go with the ultegra sl group. He said you wouldn't notice much of a difference in performance. Bottom line is it is a very nice group but DA is Shimano's current flagship group which means it's slightly lighter and allegedly smoother. The latter part I don't believe but like I said I have limited experience. I believe from what I read that the biggest wieght difference is in the crankset. I don't know about you but I'm a bit of a neat freak especially with nice expensive stuff. I like to keep it clean and scratch free. For example my big gripe with Ultegra SL is the grey finsh. It looks great but if the chain falls off from over shooting the big crank gear like mine has done a couple times in the 300 miles of using it you will most certainly scratch,nick the finish. If your like me you probably will be slightly annoyed and there's really nothing you can do short of polishing the whole finish off if you don't like seeing the scratch. At least with the polished aluminum finish of DA it would be a lot easier to get happy with the sandpaper, polishing cloth and rouge to get rid of unsightly marks. Then again **** happens and the only trailer queens are the ones that don't get used so you may want to get Ultegra sl since it will be brand new.

zaku said:

dura-ace 7800 (used)
ultegra SL (new)

the dura ace group is about 100$ more expensive that i can get compared to a new ultegra SL group.

My question is the new ultegra SL same as the dura-ace 7800 since the SL are lighter than the normal ultegra?
and any oppinions, feedback or suggestions about especially the ultegra SL will be appreciated!
Are Dura Ace 7800 hubs included in your comparison?

zaku said:

dura-ace 7800 (used)
ultegra SL (new)

Do you race? What wheels are you riding? I would think you would get more bank for your buck by upgrading your wheels?

@gemship: do you mean that the ultegra SL's grey finish is easy to chip off?

@daveornee: yes the bottom bracket together

@fujiman: i don't race but i'm just looking for an upgrade and at the same time see/feel if there's a difference + looks. i'm running on ksyrium ES.

Why not just get regular Ultegra and save yourself a bundle. I doubt that you'll notice any difference between that and even higher end stuff.

In fact, I doubt that you'll notice a difference between the 105 and the other stuff.

zaku said:

@fujiman: i don't race but i'm just looking for an upgrade and at the same time see/feel if there's a difference + looks. i'm running on ksyrium ES.
I am talking about hubs, not bottom bracket.
Dura Ace 7800 hubs use a unique freehub shape to allow for the use of an aluminum body. That unique shape works to allow lower weight but the shape requires an unique cassette. Price is my issue with that as cassettes wear out. I thought Dura Ace 9 speed cassettes were expensive, but 7800 Dura Ace cassettes are more and in Dura Ace 7850 hub they went back to the original shape so you can use Shimano (or for that matter SRAM) HG compatible cassettes which gives you a range of flexibility/price/availability that I doubt will be available to you in Dura Ace 7800 rear hub.

If you don't race - don't upgrade:eek: . Give the excess money to a charity:)
My race bike has 105 9 speed and I have no trouble(well sometimes I do) keeping up with guys of my ability with top model 10 speed stuff.
What you have now is fine - it works well and will last for years:)

It would depend on how used the DA stuff is. If it is free of damage and not showing signs of wear, I would go with the DA.

zaku said:

No the finish is on there pretty good, I believe it's anodized buy I'm not sure. It just looks ratty after a few shifting mishaps lead to the chain scratching up the surface a little or your shoes rubbing up agains the crank arms. Little things some folks care about the appearance some just want the performance. Either way at least with the DA its just polished and that is a little easier to buff out scratches. Like I said purely cosmetic issue. I also tend to agree with the others that the performance jump from 105 right up to DA isn't much to write about. The only reason the pro's use DA is because of the obvious. They're sponsored and its the status qou.

Dude I would just stick with the 105...or if you feel absolutely compelled to spend money, just get Ultegra. I rock full 105 on my C'dale, and I race with 105, and it works extremely well for what I'm doing.

Gemehip: It's a tool, not a jewel.

zaku said:

dura-ace 7800 (used)
ultegra SL (new)

No need to upgrade. Your 195 9 speed works as well as the Dura Ace 10 speed. Spend the money on some nice wheels or a power meater.

saintsfan342000 said:
Dude I would just stick with the 105...or if you feel absolutely compelled to spend money, just get Ultegra. I rock full 105 on my C'dale, and I race with 105, and it works extremely well for what I'm doing.

Gemehip: It's a tool, not a jewel.

Thankyou, I needed to hear that. Been staring at that stupid scratch for a while but its starting to grow on me. I always get worked up over the first one.