Ultegra STI Levers

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Drinky, Sep 23, 2003.

  1. Drinky

    Drinky Guest

    Does anyone else get a certain numbness in their middle (aka saturday night) finger when using
    these levers?

    I find that it becomes increasingly difficult to change gears as the ride goes on as my middle
    finger becomes fixed in the position that it takes to grip the hood.

    I've obviously tried different positions with my hands and used my 4th finger to change down but it
    feels very unnatural.

    Which finger do people generally use to change down?

    Tags:

  2. Rory

    Rory Guest

    "Drinky" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Does anyone else get a certain numbness in their middle (aka saturday night) finger when using
    > these levers?

    No, plenty of other numbnesses, but I've no complaints about my Ultegra STIs.

    > I find that it becomes increasingly difficult to change gears as the ride goes on as my middle
    > finger becomes fixed in the position that it takes to grip the hood.

    I think it will depend a lot on all the other settings: seat height, reach to bars, bar angles,
    etc., cuz all that ultimately effects the angle your hands and fingers make to the levers. I played
    around for a long time until I got the bike set up.

    > I've obviously tried different positions with my hands and used my 4th finger to change down but
    > it feels very unnatural.
    >
    > Which finger do people generally use to change down?

    I tend to use the second-littlest finger, changing up or down, front or rear. Also, it's worth
    moving around the bars regularly as you ride, to keep the blood flowing, work your fingers, hold the
    tops/drops, anything for variation.

  3. Drinky wrote:

    > Does anyone else get a certain numbness in their middle (aka saturday night) finger when using
    > these levers?
    >
    > I find that it becomes increasingly difficult to change gears as the ride goes on as my middle
    > finger becomes fixed in the position that it takes to grip the hood.
    >
    > I've obviously tried different positions with my hands and used my 4th finger to change down but
    > it feels very unnatural.
    >
    > Which finger do people generally use to change down?

    I'm a Luddite/tightwad who uses Dura-Ace 9 speed downtube shifters. Go retro!