Ultegra to TA Question

Gary Mishler

Guest
I'm changing my 52-42-30 Ultegra to a 50-40-28 TA Alize chainring setup.

How much, if any, chain should I plan on removing to go from 52 to 50 teeth on the big ring? I'm
thinking that two teeth less means I should remove one link. Does that make sense?

Will I need to remove the crank arm to change out the inner chainring?

Thanks, Mish

"Gary Mishler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:gGcya.907755$F1.112431@sccrnsc04...
> I'm changing my 52-42-30 Ultegra to a 50-40-28 TA Alize chainring setup.
>
> How much, if any, chain should I plan on removing to go from 52 to 50
teeth
> on the big ring? I'm thinking that two teeth less means I should remove
one
> link. Does that make sense?
>
> Will I need to remove the crank arm to change out the inner chainring?
>
> Thanks, Mish

I just changed my chainrings from 52/42/30 to 48/38/30. The tech at the LBS that reset the shifter
said I didn't need to remove any links. And yes, I think you will have to remove the crankarm to
change the small ring. Mike

On Mon, 19 May 2003 22:13:33 GMT, "Gary Mishler" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm changing my 52-42-30 Ultegra to a 50-40-28 TA Alize chainring setup.
>
>How much, if any, chain should I plan on removing to go from 52 to 50 teeth on the big ring? I'm
>thinking that two teeth less means I should remove one link. Does that make sense?
>
>Will I need to remove the crank arm to change out the inner chainring?

Don't take any links out. Put go to the small/small combination and if the front derailleur bottom
clears the chain, leave the chain length alone.

Gary Mishler wrote:

> I'm changing my 52-42-30 Ultegra to a 50-40-28 TA Alize chainring setup=
=2E
>=20
> How much, if any, chain should I plan on removing to go from 52 to 50 t=
eeth
> on the big ring? I'm thinking that two teeth less means I should remov=
e one
> link. Does that make sense?

It would if the chain wrapped all the way 'round the chainring. Since=20 it only wraps half way
'round, the theoretical optimal length would be=20
1/2 link (1/2 inch) shorter. Probably not reason to change it at all.

> Will I need to remove the crank arm to change out the inner chainring?

Yep.

Sheldon "Halfway" Brown +-------------------------------------------------+
| I will be appearing in the Midsummer Revels | Boston Children=92s Museum, June 20 |
| http://revels.org |
+-------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone

FYI...I have the identical setup - all Ultegra drivetrain with TA Alize 50-40-28 - works great and
boy is that TA crank shiny.

"Gary Mishler" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:gGcya.907755$F1.112431@sccrnsc04...
> I'm changing my 52-42-30 Ultegra to a 50-40-28 TA Alize chainring setup.
>
> How much, if any, chain should I plan on removing to go from 52 to 50
teeth
> on the big ring? I'm thinking that two teeth less means I should remove
one
> link. Does that make sense?
>
> Will I need to remove the crank arm to change out the inner chainring?
>
> Thanks, Mish

gary-<< How much, if any, chain should I plan on removing to go from 52 to 50 teeth on the big ring?
I'm thinking that two teeth less means I should remove one link. Does that make sense?

Put the new crank on and see if you have pulley, cog interference in the big cog, small ring. If you
do, take one link out but not enough to not have enough for big/big combos.

<< Will I need to remove the crank arm to change out the inner chainring?

Yep-

Sheldon: I used your gearing charts to pick the chainrings I switched to. Worked great!! Thanks for
being there! Mike

| I will be appearing in the Midsummer Revels | Boston Children’s Museum, June 20 |