ultegra triple set-up

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Doug Noren, Apr 24, 2003.

  1. Doug Noren

    Doug Noren Guest

    A friend asked me to help him set up his ultegra triple. (which I had never done before). It seems
    to be quit finicky and impossible to set-up right. We went by the rather skimpy directions supplied
    with the front deraileur.

    Is there a secret/what is it???

    I told him to try a campy left shifter, which I believe would be a better solution to the problem.

    Help!

    Thanks Doug N

    Tags:

  2. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Are you using the trim feature in the middle position? With my setup, the larger 4 or so cogs in the
    rear use the trim position closest to the granny, and the smaller 4 or so cogs use the trim position
    closest to the big ring. In order to shift from the granny to the middle, I have to shift to the
    outer trim position, then usually back to the inner trim position if I'm in one of the large cogs -
    slightly annoying but not a big deal.

    I have the derailer limits on the upper and lower positions set so that there is just a mm or two of
    clearance between the chain and the derailer in the big ring/small cog and granny/big cog
    combinations, and in the big and granny ring I have use of about 7 of the rear cogs with no rubbing,
    which is more than you need.

    Hope this helps.

    "Doug Noren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > A friend asked me to help him set up his ultegra triple. (which I had
    never
    > done before). It seems to be quit finicky and impossible to set-up right. We went by the rather
    > skimpy directions supplied with the front deraileur.
    >
    > Is there a secret/what is it???
    >
    > I told him to try a campy left shifter, which I believe would be a better solution to the problem.
    >
    > Help!
    >
    > Thanks Doug N

  3. "Doug Noren" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > A friend asked me to help him set up his ultegra triple. (which I had
    never
    > done before). It seems to be quit finicky and impossible to set-up right. We went by the rather
    > skimpy directions supplied with the front deraileur.
    >
    > Is there a secret/what is it???
    >
    > I told him to try a campy left shifter, which I believe would be a better solution to the problem.
    >
    > Help!
    >
    > Thanks Doug N

    Here is the definitive way to set your front der for perfect operation. It's from the Park Tools
    repair site: http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_frontderailleur.shtml Be sure and follow the
    directions, in order!

  4. Jkpoulos7

    Jkpoulos7 Guest

    >> A friend asked me to help him set up his ultegra triple. (which I had
    >never
    >> done before). It seems to be quit finicky and impossible to set-up right. We went by the rather
    >> skimpy directions supplied with the front deraileur.

    There's a shimano europe site that gives easy and excellent directions for setup. Ultegra is not
    finicky or impossible to set up.

    >> I told him to try a campy left shifter, which I believe would be a better solution to the
    >> problem.

    Better solution? To step backwards to primitive italian technology who have to copy shimano's low
    end sora group with a thumb shifter?

  5. On Fri, 25 Apr 2003 10:44:33 +0000, Jkpoulos7 wrote:

    > Better solution? To step backwards to primitive italian technology who have to copy shimano's low
    > end sora group with a thumb shifter?

    Oooh, such flame bait....

    Have you ever tried that "primitive italian technology"?

    I borrowed a friend's bike with Dura-Ace. While the shifting is about the same, the brake lever
    shifters are harder to work because of the wrist movement than Ergo. This may be just because I'm
    not used to it, though.

    What cannot be argued is the cable placement. I ride with my hands over the hoods. The Shimano cable
    placement makes that impossible - my most comfortable hand position can't be used on a Shimano
    equipped bike because the cable gets in the way of my thumb.

    -Dondo

  6. jkpoulos-<< Better solution? To step backwards to primitive italian technology who have to copy
    shimano's low end sora group with a thumb shifter?

    Gee, didn't know Sora was around in 1991/2 when ERGO was introduced.....

    what a maroon!!!