Ultegra v. DuraAce - Is one smoother?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by 9202, May 31, 2007.

1. 9202

9202 New Member

I have a 2 month old high end carbon frame bike that came equipped with Ultegra on the crankset and front derailer and DuraAce on the rear derailer. I now have almost 300 miles on the bike.

Today, for the first time in 2 months, I rode my 1987 steel frame with full DuraAce and noticed that this 20 year old puppy was smooth and quiet as can be.

I was shocked, so I jumped on the new carbon wonder and found the crankset/BB to be rough, almost grinding like in feel and not the smooth action of the older bike.

Anyone know if this is an Ultegra v. DuraAce issue? Is DuraAce really that much smoother than Ultegra? I always believed the difference was in weight alone.

I am so annoyed that I am considering ordering a DA crankset and BB in the am and having it overnighted to me.

Thoughts?

Tags:

2. John M

John M New Member

probably need the new bike break-in tune up. New 10s stuff--DA or Ultegra should be smooth and quiet if adjusted correctly.

3. Phill P

Phill P New Member

You might have a bottom bracket fitting issue. While the new external bottom brackets do have more seal drag due to the larger external bearings, it should still feel "smooth". Have the shop you bought the bike from look at it.

While you may be able to detect slight differences in shifting and smoothness between DA and Ultegra, Ultegra is still plenty good enough for most people.

4. Tubbs

Tubbs New Member

smoothness is not in the make or model of the drivetrain but rather in the setup. sounds like your new bike just needs some time for fine tuning.

your 87 Dura Ace equiped bike has had 20 years for all the parts to work in and most likely has been tuned several times over the years. .. of course it's smooth.

also, keep in mind that back in 87, you're lucky if you had 8 speed. the cogs were more spaced out and the chain was wider. today's 10 speed cogset is much narrower. having the derailleurs ever so slightly out of tune will cause a loss in smoothness.