ultegra vs. 105

ccrnnr9

May 5, 2004
If I can save more than 200$ on a bike build by going w/ 105 10-spd should I? I don't care about having the ultegra name on my bike. I just want components that are going to last for a long period of time and be reliable during that time period. Other than weight, I do not see any other advantage to ultegra over 105 10-spd. Even the weight issue seems very small. Any input is welcome. I probably put anywhere from 600-800 miles on the bike monthy right now and that will probably increase as the weather becomes warmer.
~Nick

105 is more than adequate and especially affordable. $200 is not a lot of money and worth the upgrade price, but how much were you going to spend on the complete bike? If 200 bucks is more than 10% of the price I'd stay with 105, if less than 10% of the total price I might be inclined to head up to Ultegra.

I haven't had a serious ride on a 10-speed 105 group, but from playing around with the levers the action and 'feel' of the system is quite like 10-speed Ultegra .. which in itself is very similar to Dura-Ace.

A 105 group will last for quite some time. In my opinion that extra $200 could be more effectively spent on some other part of the bike (e.g. wheels).

105 will last you for some time without any trouble at all. Seeing how you could gain some component stiffness and loose some weight by upgrading I would go for it. $200 is a small amount to go from 105 to Ultegra.

I say go for it, otherwise take that $200 and put it toward some really good wheels and tires.

SilentShifter said:
....otherwise take that $200 and put it toward some really good wheels and tires.

I like the thought of spending the money on better wheels/tires.

John M said:
I like the thought of spending the money on better wheels/tires.
I stand corrected. Here are the prices I can get the component sets for:

Ultegra: 696$
105 10-spd: 563$
Veloce 10spd: 493$

I just wish I could find weights for the whole set of each of those. I already checked weightweenies.com but if any of you have any opinions/info, I would appreciate it. If veloce is significantly lighter than 105 then I will take it, but I do prefer shimano.
~Nick

I'd try to go for Chorus if that's on the table. It's gonna be in the price range of the Ultegra and is lighter. I have tried Veloce and am not a huge fan. The one time I tried it, it was "clinking" a lot. It never seemed to find the right gear. If it's still between Ultegra and 105, it depends if you want to start racing. Ultegra's fast shifts will be much nicer than racing with 105. Both will last you a long time as long as you don't crash too often

Another note: remember that Campy's stuff is rebuildable. If you mess up a shifter in a crash or accident, most likely it can be rebuilt for much cheaper than buying another shifter. Shimano cannot do that.

rudycyclist said:
I'd try to go for Chorus if that's on the table. It's gonna be in the price range of the Ultegra and is lighter. I have tried Veloce and am not a huge fan. The one time I tried it, it was "clinking" a lot. It never seemed to find the right gear. If it's still between Ultegra and 105, it depends if you want to start racing. Ultegra's fast shifts will be much nicer than racing with 105. Both will last you a long time as long as you don't crash too often

Another note: remember that Campy's stuff is rebuildable. If you mess up a shifter in a crash or accident, most likely it can be rebuilt for much cheaper than buying another shifter. Shimano cannot do that.
Your Veloce must not have been set up right. My 9s set-up with SRAM chain is very quiet and works quite well.

I would say that it is clearly the best value of the three options presented, although probably not lighter than Ultegra.

ccrnnr9 said:
If I can save more than 200$ on a bike build by going w/ 105 10-spd should I? I don't care about having the ultegra name on my bike. I just want components that are going to last for a long period of time and be reliable during that time period. Other than weight, I do not see any other advantage to ultegra over 105 10-spd. Even the weight issue seems very small. Any input is welcome. I probably put anywhere from 600-800 miles on the bike monthy right now and that will probably increase as the weather becomes warmer.
~Nick
For that type of mileage, I would go with Ultegra. I have had both 105 and Ultegra 9 speed. The 105 group uses more plastic and one of my shift levers rattles like crazy. The Ultegra stuff is lighter and it lasts longer. Bearing quality, materials etc... $200 up front is worth the upgrade IMHO.

rudycyclist said:

Yep, I got my Chorus set for around the price of Ultegra. Chorus is more on the same page with Dura-Ace, so comparing Chorus with Ultegra really isnt apples to apples IMO.

cucamelsmd15 said:
Yep, I got my Chorus set for around the price of Ultegra. Chorus is more on the same page with Dura-Ace, so comparing Chorus with Ultegra really isnt apples to apples IMO.
What about centaur? Where does it lie? I am leaning towards veloce as it is such a good deal, but chorus and centaur are definately worth considering. I can't go above the "ultegra price level"...it just isn't feasible w/ my budget.
~Nick

ccrnnr9 said:
What about centaur? Where does it lie? I am leaning towards veloce as it is such a good deal, but chorus and centaur are definately worth considering. I can't go above the "ultegra price level"...it just isn't feasible w/ my budget.
~Nick
I would say centaur falls somewhere between 105 and Ultegra. I got my Chorus from here:
http://www.totalcycling.com/Product...- Road/v/561d77a4-f75d-4faf-b8c9-a46ab552839a

If youre definitely set on Ultegra, they have a pretty good price on it as well.

ccrnnr9 said:
~Nick
I've been getting nearly flawless performance from my Veloce 9 group for over a year, but if you have the money Centaur is probably the best overall value in the Campy lineup. I won't get into the Campy vs. Shimano debate because they don't feel anything alike. Personally, I wouldn't buy Shimano at any price because the shape of the brake hoods kills my hands and I don't like the shifting. Your results may vary.

artmichalek said:
Personally, I wouldn't buy Shimano at any price because the shape of the brake hoods kills my hands and I don't like the shifting. Your results may vary.
The hoods were 90% of the reason I bought the Chorus. I cant ride with something like the Ultegra that makes my hands uncomfortable.

Well, I'll play opposing counsel and argue that 105 is significantly different in feel from Ultegra. To me, Ultegra really works as well as Dura-Ace; I think the key differences are weight and durability. 105, in my experience, does not work as reliably. It mis-shifts more under pressure, drops the chain more often when shifting to the small ring, the brakes aren't as responsive - too grabby. I think if you're going to spend significant time on the bike, Ultegra is the way to go.

cucamelsmd15 said:
The hoods were 90% of the reason I bought the Chorus. I cant ride with something like the Ultegra that makes my hands uncomfortable.

ccrnnr9 said:
~Nick

Centaur is more like Chorus/Record for hubs, derailleurs, and brakes (except no differential front/rear like Record). More like Veloce for shifters and crankset.

Veloce is a great deal for the money. I would not get Veloce hubs as a basis for wheels though (too heavy) and would upgrade to Centaur for the brakes (nicer brake pads).

John M said:
Centaur is more like Chorus/Record for hubs, derailleurs, and brakes (except no differential front/rear like Record). More like Veloce for shifters and crankset.

Veloce is a great deal for the money. I would not get Veloce hubs as a basis for wheels though (too heavy) and would upgrade to Centaur for the brakes (nicer brake pads).
Maybe it would be a good idea to go with chorus for brakes, wheels, and derailleurs and stick with with Veloce for the crankset, chain, and shifters. I could save some bucks in that way. I am still pretty confused as to what to do regarding the wheels. Some people say have two sets, one to train in and the other to race and others say that one good set is all I need. I don't know that I will ever race enough to constitute buying two sets of wheels. I can't see myself doing more than 2 races/month during the season along with a few tris....

ccrnnr9 said:
Maybe it would be a good idea to go with chorus for brakes, wheels, and derailleurs and stick with with Veloce for the crankset, chain, and shifters. I could save some bucks in that way. I am still pretty confused as to what to do regarding the wheels. Some people say have two sets, one to train in and the other to race and others say that one good set is all I need. I don't know that I will ever race enough to constitute buying two sets of wheels. I can't see myself doing more than 2 races/month during the season along with a few tris....
I say 2 sets. I was in the same position last year and only had one set. Bent a rim during a race, and Im off the bike for a few days while its being repaired. Have a set of handbuilts for training and general riding, and a nice set for race day, but only for race day. If something happens to those, youve got something to fall back on.

John M said:
The weight isn't too bad, but the cartridge bearings have been a bit of a disapointment. Centaur through Record have adjustable (and serviceable) ball bearings.

artmichalek said:
The weight isn't too bad, but the cartridge bearings have been a bit of a disapointment. Centaur through Record have adjustable (and serviceable) ball bearings.
Art, my experience with cartridge bearing hubs in Velomax Circuits has also been a little disappointing. I like the real angular-contact bearing hubs designed for bike wheels with adjustable preload and axle seals better than the skateboard bearings.

If you have any ideas for my Circuit wheels would like to discuss. Excessive preload seems to be the problem. Is there an R6-size replacement bearing that's rated for "angular contact"? How about a way to reduce the preload? I've tried not seating the bearings fully. That works on the bench, but after a ride or two they go back to the old position and feel sticky again.