Ultegra Vs DA

cannongirl

Mar 13, 2004
Hi Guys,
I've been shopping for a new Road Bike and have discovered that there is a huge difference in price between an Ultegra and Dura Ace equipped Bike, is the difference really worthwhile?

By the way, I only ride around 3000 miles a year and longevity isn't a consideration as I seem to change bikes almost every year.

It seems an upgrade to DA can increase the cost of a bike by around $1500.

Any input or comments will be truly appreciated, thanx.
;)

Since current DA is 10 speed and Ultegra is 9 speed, part of the price differential is due to this feature. Yes, 10S is beneficial as it allows one to run a fairly close-spaced cogset with a good spread. A 12-25 has the all-important 16 tooth cog where a 12-25 in 9s goes from 15 to 17.

The other DA benefit is the integrated, external bearing BB. Brakes are a bit better too.

Hold off on the DA 10s until Ultegra is out in 10S and you should see some price breaks for last years DA. The componentry will be the same but the older frame will bring the price down.

cannongirl said:
Hi Guys,
I've been shopping for a new Road Bike and have discovered that there is a huge difference in price between an Ultegra and Dura Ace equipped Bike, is the difference really worthwhile?

By the way, I only ride around 3000 miles a year and longevity isn't a consideration as I seem to change bikes almost every year.

;)
16 tooth cog is not worth $1000. Get Ultegra. Absolutely top of the line group. Will provide years of flawless performance. At 3000 miles a year, there is no, none, zip, zilch reason to blow the extra cash on DA. If you must have a 16 tooth cog, Ultegra 10speed will be out next year.

Weisse Luft said:
Since current DA is 10 speed and Ultegra is 9 speed, part of the price differential is due to this feature. Yes, 10S is beneficial as it allows one to run a fairly close-spaced cogset with a good spread. A 12-25 has the all-important 16 tooth cog where a 12-25 in 9s goes from 15 to 17.

The other DA benefit is the integrated, external bearing BB. Brakes are a bit better too.

Hold off on the DA 10s until Ultegra is out in 10S and you should see some price breaks for last years DA. The componentry will be the same but the older frame will bring the price down.
"All-important 16-tooth extra cog?" I admit it's nice to have, but hardly important in less you're racing crits where you need to keep on the boil in a tight pack. Last time I checked, you can get a 9 speed cassette with a 16 if you really need it.

Most riders need a low gear for climbing a lot more than they need a 16...or a 12.

A $1000-$1500 premium for DA 10 speed components is totally unjustified at any rate. Shimano is a big company looking to puff up it's bottom line with lots of ad hype about very little.

Weisse Luft said:
Yes, 10S is beneficial as it allows one to run a fairly close-spaced cogset with a good spread. A 12-25 has the all-important 16 tooth cog where a 12-25 in 9s goes from 15 to 17.

The other DA benefit is the integrated, external bearing BB.
Gotta have a 16 in Shimano 9 speed? Get a 12x23 and train harder. Why is the external BB of the DA 10 of such a benefit?

dhk said:
A $1000-$1500 premium for DA 10 speed components is totally unjustified at any rate. Shimano is a big company looking to puff up it's bottom line with lots of ad hype about very little.
Yeah, but the suckers will stand in line to buy it.

cannongirl said:
a huge difference in price between an Ultegra and Dura Ace equipped Bike, is the difference really worthwhile? It seems an upgrade to DA can increase the cost of a bike by around $1500.
If you have money to burn, sure. If not, stick with Ultegra and if you feel like spending the extra $$$, invest it in the frame/fork and wheelset BEFORE you go from Ultegra to DA, Chorus to Record, etc.

Best

dhk said:
"All-important 16-tooth extra cog?" I admit it's nice to have, but hardly important in less you're racing crits where you need to keep on the boil in a tight pack. Last time I checked, you can get a 9 speed cassette with a 16 if you really need it.

Most riders need a low gear for climbing a lot more than they need a 16...or a 12.

Not too many crits have 12% gradients so my 12x21 or 12x23 work fine in 9s. When climbing is the course, like Mt. Evans climb, I find my 39x16 is a very important gear when power output is to be maintained. My power meter doesn't lie.

cannongirl said:
Hi Guys,

;)
From your description, get the Ultegra. I happen to run DA, but I cycle 5-6 days a week, and it is a very important part of my life. One of my bikes is 105 equipped (one step below Ultegra), and I have no gripes about it. Whatever you get, keep it meticulously clean and oiled and it will serve you well.

Weisse Luft said:
Not too many crits have 12% gradients so my 12x21 or 12x23 work fine in 9s. When climbing is the course, like Mt. Evans climb, I find my 39x16 is a very important gear when power output is to be maintained. My power meter doesn't lie.
But if your powermeter number and cadence is so precisely dialed-in, can't you get a 16 on a 9 sp Ultegra cassette? In the early 90's, my 7 sp Ultegra came with a 7 sp 13x21, including the 16.

Of course you don't need my approval to spend your money and get exactly what you want on your bike. My point is that no one "needs" DA 10 sp....it's a luxury purchase.

Yea, I'm not sure why you couldn't get the exact gearing with an ultegra cassette? Anyway, I do see a dubious benefit of 10 speed vs 9 speed, this is a nice-to-have that I personally wouldn't spend more than 10's of $$ for... not 100's.

Ultegra vs. DA (if you take the 9- vs 10- arguement out of it) has been debated often and at length in this forum, a search will turn up plenty. I think the bottom line is that they're the same save for a few grams. Fill your water bottle 4/5's of the way full and you've made up for more difference than DA saves. Or get a haircut and spit out your gum.

dhk said:
But if your powermeter number and cadence is so precisely dialed-in, can't you get a 16 on a 9 sp Ultegra cassette? In the early 90's, my 7 sp Ultegra came with a 7 sp 13x21, including the 16.

Of course you don't need my approval to spend your money and get exactly what you want on your bike. My point is that no one "needs" DA 10 sp....it's a luxury purchase.

Have you ever cycled in mountains? Where I ride, I need a 25 to cope with 12% grades and maintain a cadence over 65, otherwise I would be climbing standing up for most of the climb, NOT an efficient way to do it.

So I ride with a 12 x 25 9s and I can definitely feel the gap from the 17 to the 15 on lesser climbs. If I slap on the 12 x 23, I get my 16 cog back but I lose out on the low end and my casdence suffers on the steeper climbs.

With 10s, I can have my 25 AND my 16, all on the same cassette. Luxury? Not in the mountains.

Thank you sooooo much for the replies Guys, you're the greatest...I see from your posts that I deffinately wouldn't benefit from DA...my present Bike is Ultegra and I've been more than happy with it, I take my bike in for tune-ups quite regularly...however....

I don't want to beat this thread to death and take up valuable space, but I see "16" mentioned quite a few times, what is the significance of this?

Also, is there much difference between the smoothness and ease of gear changing on Ultegra Vs DA?

Thanks again Guys... ;)

Weisse Luft said:
Have you ever cycled in mountains? Where I ride, I need a 25 to cope with 12% grades and maintain a cadence over 65, otherwise I would be climbing standing up for most of the climb, NOT an efficient way to do it.

So I ride with a 12 x 25 9s and I can definitely feel the gap from the 17 to the 15 on lesser climbs. If I slap on the 12 x 23, I get my 16 cog back but I lose out on the low end and my casdence suffers on the steeper climbs.

With 10s, I can have my 25 AND my 16, all on the same cassette. Luxury? Not in the mountains.
I have to agree that the 15-17 gap can be a real pain in certain situations. I normally ride a 12-25 9-speed Ult. on my usual routes which are fairly hilly. I very rarely use the 25, but I like having it there in case I totally bonk; where I would be totally screwed on a couple of climbs. I also, however, ride a fair amount on mostly flat ocean highway routes at the shore where it is not uncommon for me to get stuck facing a constant 15-20mph direct headwind with absolutely no way out for 40 miles on the return leg. It' s there that I would kill for having the 53x16T at times. Flipping back and forth from the 15 to 17 and cursing the whole way is a total bummer. For myself, I am probably just going to get pick up a second cassette (12-21) and swap it when I am at the beach house; until (hopefully) the price drops on the 10-speed drivetrains. Now what I have to decide is whether it is worthwhile to get a second OP rear wheel built just to swap or break the cassette loose everytime?

cannongirl said:
Also, is there much difference between the smoothness and ease of gear changing on Ultegra Vs DA?

You've just killed the horse, now stop beating it.

cannongirl said:
Thank you sooooo much for the replies Guys, you're the greatest...I see from your posts that I deffinately wouldn't benefit from DA...my present Bike is Ultegra and I've been more than happy with it, I take my bike in for tune-ups quite regularly...however....

I don't want to beat this thread to death and take up valuable space, but I see "16" mentioned quite a few times, what is the significance of this?

Thanks again Guys... ;)
I have bikes with a 16,and I have bikes without.I ride one one day another the next. I prefer to have a 16 cog and no gap between the 15 and 17, but it does not kill me or ruin my day if there is no 16. I suppose it depends on how anal you are. New 10 speed DA supposedly has improved levers and easier shifting. The 10 speed ultera will get the mprovements.I never had an issue with the pre 10 speeed stuff.

Weisse Luft said:

Actually, yes, I live in the mountains, and have a 200 vertical climb at 10-12% to get back to my driveway every day. I use an FSA triple, 53/39/30, with DA shifters and a DA 12-25 cassette. My builder suggested a 12-23 cassette, so I could have the 16, but I decided the 25 low would be more useful on long mountain century rides.

Certainly the 16 would be more useful than a 12 for me. If Shimano made a 13-25 with the 16 cog, that's the one I'd select.

dhk said:
Certainly the 16 would be more useful than a 12 for me. If Shimano made a 13-25 with the 16 cog, that's the one I'd select.
They do, and it's called a 105.I use em all the time and they work perfectly with an otherwise DA 9 setup.

boudreaux said:
They do, and it's called a 105.I use em all the time and they work perfectly with an otherwise DA 9 setup.
Thanks, that's the one to get when I wear down the DA Ti on the big cogs.

Shimano ought to make these in DA also to sell to recreational riders. But appears their marketing strategy is to keep DA on a "for-racers-only" level. I notice that Campy makes 13-low cassettes in all models.

Thank you very much boudreaux, my LBS has offered to build an Ultegra eqiupped six13, I haven't made my mind up, but he insists it's an awesome bike, I need to ride one but the two he has in stock are too big for me unfortunately...

I must admit though, the Colnago looks tempting...;-)

Thanks again.

boudreaux said:
I have bikes with a 16,and I have bikes without.I ride one one day another the next. I prefer to have a 16 cog and no gap between the 15 and 17, but it does not kill me or ruin my day if there is no 16. I suppose it depends on how anal you are. New 10 speed DA supposedly has improved levers and easier shifting. The 10 speed ultera will get the mprovements.I never had an issue with the pre 10 speeed stuff.