Ultegra vs. SRAM Rival

sideshow_bob said:
Too late for me I'm in the final build stage of a bike with SRAM Force on it ...
I am sure it'll be a lovely build. Had a look at a Force setup the other day in a LBS, it's quite neat. Liked the fact that gear control is separate to brake control and the compact grip.

I will be definately be seriously considering SRAM Force on my next build.

I rode SRAM ESP 9.0 back in the day and it was brilliant. I also was running XTR on another bike at the same time.

As soon as SRAM released their X-9 range I installed it and it ran without problem (still is) and their development of shifting ergonomics and performance was far superior to Shimano at the time.

I currently run Shimano Ultegra on my roadie and cannot fault it. But would be happy to change.

I have ridden campag record and shimano ultegra. They both performed as desired. Sometimes it is nice to run something a little different. :D

Paulie-AU said:
I have ridden campag record and shimano ultegra. They both performed as desired. Sometimes it is nice to run something a little different. :D
The only problem I see in running different brands of gears is the lack of interchangeability. But if it's fun to have different things on different bikes, so be it. :rolleyes:

sogood said:
The only problem I see in running different brands of gears is the lack of interchangeability. But if it's fun to have different things on different bikes, so be it. :rolleyes:

Shimano and SRAM are interchangable at the chain/cassette/wheel level. Past swapping wheels I've never really had the need to swap say sti/ergo's about etc.

--brett

It is another one of those threads.......either you like the double tap or not. Shimano is bulletproof and SRAM does not have enough years in the game to see how they will hold up. It all comes down to the double tap.

bladegeek said:
It is another one of those threads.......either you like the double tap or not. Shimano is bulletproof and SRAM does not have enough years in the game to see how they will hold up. It all comes down to the double tap.
Dont forget about weight (vs ULtegra and D/A, I dont know Campy weights). The SRAM Levers are much lighter and from an aesthetic and possibly aerodynamic point of view, the sram runs the cables under the tape like Campy and I for one love the way it changes the look of the bike. so clean and tidy looking little levers.

Is SRAM's Force shifters rebuildable? Or are they in the same throw-away style as Shimano?