Ultimate Direction bladder (velcro) repair?

Slacker

Guest
Man, I hardly even used this one http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2C7544D6 but the velcro peeled right
off the bladder when I was cleaning it last.

Anybody ever have this happen and glue it back? I'm not sure what type of glue to use.

Rubber cement Epoxy or Urethane 3M 77 ???

--
Slacker

Originally posted by Slacker
Man, I hardly even used this one http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2C7544D6 but the velcro peeled right
off the bladder when I was cleaning it last.

Anybody ever have this happen and glue it back? I'm not sure what type of glue to use.

Rubber cement Epoxy or Urethane 3M 77 ???

--
Slacker

So you are against staples and/or duct tape?

K.

Slacker murmured while asleep:
> Man, I hardly even used this one http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2C7544D6 but the velcro peeled
> right off the bladder when I was cleaning it last.
>
> Anybody ever have this happen and glue it back? I'm not sure what type of glue to use.
>
> Rubber cement Epoxy or Urethane 3M 77 ???

seamgrip by McNett would be easiest to use. Or, take the old stuff off, clean off the residue, and
get some industrial strentgh peel-n-stick from Home Despot or similar.

You knew I'd have an answer, didn't you??!!

Penny

> Man, I hardly even used this one http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2C7544D6
but
> the velcro peeled right off the bladder when I was cleaning it last.
>
> Anybody ever have this happen and glue it back? I'm not sure what type of glue to use.
>
> Rubber cement Epoxy or Urethane 3M 77 ???
>
> --
> Slacker

Sometimes it just seems wierd. We'll spend thousands on our bikes. We'll even opt for the $110 Chris
King headset, but we won't spend $28 to replace a busted bladder which probably gets just as much
use as the rest of the parts. Oh, the madness of it all.

Slacker murmured while asleep:
> Man, I hardly even used this one http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2C7544D6 but the velcro peeled
> right off the bladder when I was cleaning it last.
>
> Anybody ever have this happen and glue it back? I'm not sure what type of glue to use.
>
> Rubber cement Epoxy or Urethane 3M 77 ???

seamgrip by McNett would be easiest to use. Or, take the old stuff off, clean off the residue, and
get some industrial strentgh peel-n-stick from Home Despot or similar.

You knew I'd have an answer, didn't you??!!

Penny

my a.m. posts never appeared, sorry if this appears twice

Sir Ride-A-Lot murmured while asleep:
> "Slacker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
>> Man, I hardly even used this one http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2C7544D6 but the velcro peeled
>> right off the bladder when I was cleaning it last.
>>
>> Anybody ever have this happen and glue it back? I'm not sure what type of glue to use.
>>
>> Rubber cement Epoxy or Urethane 3M 77 ???
>>
>> --
>> Slacker
>>

> Sometimes it just seems wierd. We'll spend thousands on our bikes. We'll even opt for the $110
> Chris King headset, but we won't spend $28 to replace a busted bladder which probably gets just as
> much use as the rest of the parts. Oh, the madness of it all.

Huh? You put 25¢ worth of new adhesive backed velcro on it. Why buy a new bladder? It's a shame that
so many people have a throw away mentality.

Penny

On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:56:07 -0500, Sir Ride-A-Lot wrote:

> Sometimes it just seems wierd. We'll spend thousands on our bikes. We'll even opt for the $110
> Chris King headset, but we won't spend $28 to replace a busted bladder which probably gets just as
> much use as the rest of the parts. Oh, the madness of it all.

...or spend $30 more for a decent hydration pack in the first place. I still have the original
bladder in my '95 Camelbak.

"Penny S" wrote in message

> seamgrip by McNett would be easiest to use. Or, take the old stuff off, clean off the residue, and
> get some industrial strentgh peel-n-stick from Home Despot or similar.

Cool, that sounds good.

> You knew I'd have an answer, didn't you??!!

Actually, I did :^ ) thx
--
Slacker

"ireman_1" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Slacker wrote:
> > Man, I hardly even used this one
http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2C7544D6-
> > http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2C7544D6 but the velcro peeled right off the bladder when I was
> > cleaning it last. Anybody ever have this happen and glue it back? I'm not sure what type of
> > glue to use. Rubber cement Epoxy or Urethane 3M 77 ???
> > --
> > Slacker
>

> So you are against staples and/or duct tape?
>
> K.

Duct tape no, staples yes... I'm trying to keep the water *inside the bladder. This is the rectangle
strip of velcro that's glued to the main body of the bladder, not triangle shaped one .

But I don't think duct tape is strong enough.
--
Slacker

ireman_1 murmured while asleep:
> Slacker wrote:
> > Man, I hardly even used this one
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2C7544D6- > http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2C7544D6 but the
> velcro peeled right off > the bladder when I was cleaning it last. > Anybody ever have this
> happen and glue it back? I'm not sure what type > of glue to use. > Rubber cement Epoxy or
> Urethane 3M 77 ???
> > --
> > Slacker
>

> So you are against staples and/or duct tape?
>
> K.

yes. for emergencies only.

Penny

"Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sir Ride-A-Lot murmured while asleep:
> >
> > Sometimes it just seems wierd. We'll spend thousands on our bikes. We'll even opt for the $110
> > Chris King headset, but we won't spend $28 to replace a busted bladder which probably gets just
> > as much use as the rest of the parts. Oh, the madness of it all.
>
> Huh? You put 25¢ worth of new adhesive backed velcro on it. Why buy a new bladder? It's a shame
> that so many people have a throw away mentality.

Some people's mentality SHOULD be thrown away.

Bill "staples and duct tape good enough for surgeons, so..." S.

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:56:07 -0500, Sir Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
> > Sometimes it just seems wierd. We'll spend thousands on our bikes.
We'll
> > even opt for the $110 Chris King headset, but we won't spend $28 to
replace
> > a busted bladder which probably gets just as much use as the rest of the parts. Oh, the madness
> > of it all.
>
> ...or spend $30 more for a decent hydration pack in the first place. I still have the original
> bladder in my '95 Camelbak.
>
> --
> -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

I had a Ultimate Direction bladder that wouldn't stop leaking from the mouthpiece (factory defective
opening), and the website was always "coming soon." So I used it to make a very neat device for, um,
tobacco. How's that for recycling?

Chris

"BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:56:07 -0500, Sir Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>
> > Sometimes it just seems wierd. We'll spend thousands on our bikes.
We'll
> > even opt for the $110 Chris King headset, but we won't spend $28 to
replace
> > a busted bladder which probably gets just as much use as the rest of the parts. Oh, the madness
> > of it all.
>
> ...or spend $30 more for a decent hydration pack in the first place. I still have the original
> bladder in my '95 Camelbak.

IIRC it was several bad Camelbak bladders that got Slackman into the Ultimate Direction pack.

Mike

news:HE%[email protected]...

> "BB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> > On Wed, 17 Dec 2003 10:56:07 -0500, Sir Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> >
> > > Sometimes it just seems wierd. We'll spend thousands on our bikes.
> We'll
> > > even opt for the $110 Chris King headset, but we won't spend $28 to
> replace
> > > a busted bladder which probably gets just as much use as the rest of
the
> > > parts. Oh, the madness of it all.
> >
> > ...or spend $30 more for a decent hydration pack in the first place. I still have the original
> > bladder in my '95 Camelbak.
> >
> > --
> > -BB- To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)
>
> I had a Ultimate Direction bladder that wouldn't stop leaking from the mouthpiece (factory
> defective opening), and the website was always "coming soon." So I used it to make a very neat
> device for, um, tobacco. How's that for recycling?
>
> Chris

Or you can always give it to your eighty year old aunt when she needs an enema.

Chris wrote: <snip>

> I had a Ultimate Direction bladder that wouldn't stop leaking from the mouthpiece (factory
> defective opening), and the website was always "coming soon." So I used it to make a very neat
> device for, um, tobacco. How's that for recycling?
>
> Chris

That ****'ll kill ya! You should just stick to pot!

Matt

Slacker murmured while asleep:
> "ireman_1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> Slacker wrote:
>> > Man, I hardly even used this one
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2C7544D6-
>> > http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2C7544D6 but the velcro peeled
>> right off > the bladder when I was cleaning it last.
>> > Anybody ever have this happen and glue it back? I'm not sure
>> what type > of glue to use.
>> > Rubber cement Epoxy or Urethane 3M 77 ???
>> > --
>> > Slacker
>>

>> So you are against staples and/or duct tape?
>>
>> K.
>

> Duct tape no, staples yes... I'm trying to keep the water *inside the bladder. This is the
> rectangle strip of velcro that's glued to the main body of the bladder, not triangle shaped one .
>
> But I don't think duct tape is strong enough.

yes. for emergencies only.

> "ireman_1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Slacker wrote:
> > > Man, I hardly even used this one
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2C7544D6-
> > > http://makeashorterlink.com/?B2C7544D6 but the velcro peeled right
off
> > > the bladder when I was cleaning it last. Anybody ever have this happen and glue it back? I'm
> > > not sure what
type
> > > of glue to use. Rubber cement Epoxy or Urethane 3M 77 ???
> > > --
> > > Slacker
> >

> > So you are against staples and/or duct tape?
> >
> > K.
>

> Duct tape no, staples yes... I'm trying to keep the water *inside the bladder. This is the
> rectangle strip of velcro that's glued to the main
body
> of the bladder, not triangle shaped one .
>
> But I don't think duct tape is strong enough.
> --
> Slacker

Different situtation from yours, but I did patch a hole in my camelbak bladder with duct tape.
It's still going strong. The new bladder to replace the patched one is still in the box. Duct tape
is amazing.