Ultimate fender

http://www.google.com/patents?id=LEhpAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=853115&source=gbs_selected_pages&cad=0_1

Judging by this patent, Teutonic pelotons must have resembled
demolition derbies at the turn of the century.

This fender was supposed to prevent the "cycle wheel from mounting the
wheel of another velocipede or vehicle with which it may collide."

Given the opening statement, the inventor's business card must have
been equally impressive:

Theodor Reuss
Merchant and Subject of the German Emperor
36 Meissnerstrasse, Kotzschenbroda
A small place in the Kingdom of Saxony, German Empire
[email protected]

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

> http://www.google.com/patents?id=LEhpAAAAEBAJ&pg=PP1&dq=853115&source=gbs_sele
> cted_pages&cad=0_1
>
> Judging by this patent, Teutonic pelotons must have resembled
> demolition derbies at the turn of the century.
>
> This fender was supposed to prevent the "cycle wheel from mounting the
> wheel of another velocipede or vehicle with which it may collide."

That looks like it would have been useful in motorpaced races.

> Given the opening statement, the inventor's business card must have
> been equally impressive:
>
> Theodor Reuss
> Merchant and Subject of the German Emperor
> 36 Meissnerstrasse, Kotzschenbroda
> A small place in the Kingdom of Saxony, German Empire
> [email protected]

Heh. I will have to start describing my city of residence as a small
place in the Dominion of Canada*, though I fear it is about half as true
as it was a decade ago.

*I still want to bring back the Red Ensign, too.

On Feb 13, 9:33 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> *I still want to bring back the Red Ensign, too.

But you've got that cool pirate flag out there in LotusLand. If you
lived on ONT or MAN, you wouldn't be all that enthused about having
another layer of ensigns.

(I can still remember February 15, 1965, when we watched the changing
of the flag. The chap who lowered the ensign was, I seem to recall,
the oldest Commisionaire there and a survivor of The Great Escape, and
the new flag was raised by the youngest Airman on the station. I don't
know if that was a commonly done thing, but to my first grade RCAF-
schoolboy mind, it was pretty nicely done.)

In article
<b28268ef-d505-4a15-8f89-1bd7be28aefe@i29g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Brian Huntley <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Feb 13, 9:33 pm, Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > *I still want to bring back the Red Ensign, too.
> >

> But you've got that cool pirate flag out there in LotusLand. If you
> lived on ONT or MAN, you wouldn't be all that enthused about having
> another layer of ensigns.
>
> (I can still remember February 15, 1965, when we watched the changing
> of the flag. The chap who lowered the ensign was, I seem to recall,
> the oldest Commisionaire there and a survivor of The Great Escape, and
> the new flag was raised by the youngest Airman on the station. I don't
> know if that was a commonly done thing, but to my first grade RCAF-
> schoolboy mind, it was pretty nicely done.)

1965 was years before I was born. Yeah, I'm a young reactionary :).

People live on diesel engines? <http://www.manbw.com/category_000002.html>