Ultimate Justce for cyclists!

vio765

Jan 20, 2005
i think i found a way for us cyclist to "get back" at bad drivers. it all starts with some driver doing something that threatens our safety. i will use the example of being "buzzed" since that is the most likely violation for us on open roads. first, get a "bullet-cam" that records video at a high resolution. like the Vio cam or Elmo cam. when said driver buzzes by, it is all captured on video. when you get home and download the video, isolate a few frames that show the driver's license plate and a few other snaps of the driver coming too close. second, use a license plate reverse lookup service (these apparently are not free, but very affordable) and find who the driver's and their address. third, write a letter that lists your state's laws regarding things like "bicycles hold the same rights and duties as motor vehicles" and "a vehicle is required to overtake a vehicle with a safe amount of room between the two vehicles", etc. this letter will also state that the possible penalties for "buzzing" as well as "future failure to overtaking a cyclist will result in legal action". fourth, send the letter and a few snaps of the driver "buzzing" you and a close-up of their license plate via certified mail. lastly, send ANOTHER letter to local police authorities describing what happen along with the same photos sent to the driver. not bad, eh! TAKE THAT DANGEROUS DRIVERS!!

Reactions: haleylx4
I don't know if this is such a good idea. There are a lot of rules concerning using photographs and video for evidence, and you may just antagonize them to the point where they do worse than buzz the next cyclist that they come upon.

the point you make is two-fold. the first possibility is that the motorist (being the cowardly trash they are) will probably not do it again. the other possibility is that since most people are psychotic and homicidal monsters, will murder the next cyclist they see without any remorse and still get a good night sleep. all the while the police (being virtually worthless when it comes to the rights of cyclists) will probably pat the ape than mowed down the cyclist on the back. i suppose it depends on the motorist.

I am inclined to agree with the OP on this one. Call me an optimist, but I do not consider most car drivers (ergo, most humans in the developed world) to be homicidal maniacs. I think quite a number would be shaken realising that they were 'on camera'. And would be extra careful around cyclists.

Just a thought.

Unfortunately we have no similar service here in Italy regarding 'reverse look-up'.

I think the vast majority of people won't take it seriously. Frankly, they won't have to worry about the photos at all. I think it's better to ride safely and predictably, while maintaining a high level of awareness.

If your state still has a vague "safe distance law" I suggest that you ask your state rep. to amend the law and specify the law be precise on passing distance.
It is a simple thing to do and does not require any capitol outlay by the government.
Does it help, I can't say for sure but any bit of education and awareness is better than none.
Besides it will give you good insight into how lawmakers work, if you have never been involved with them before.

Personally, I will have to wait for the price of the hi-res cameras to get significantly below $700 before I will be going that route...

Although, I do like the idea of cameras to document potential accidents etc, I don't know that I would go to the extreme of paying for lookup of the address using license plates... except for possibly extreme cases.

As with anything, I think getting too anal is just going to get someone labeled as a loonie, and even people that agree with you in concept will nod and outwardly agree while thinking about what is for dinner.

jhuskey said:
If your state still has a vague "safe distance law" I suggest that you ask your state rep. to amend the law and specify the law be precise on passing distance.
It is a simple thing to do and does not require any capitol outlay by the government.
Does it help, I can't say for sure but any bit of education and awareness is better than none.
Besides it will give you good insight into how lawmakers work, if you have never been involved with them before.
Is there any indication that it does anything for safety?

I can't imagine it does anything but get cases thrown out when a police officer can't prove that the car was less than 36 inches away. A police officer rarely has a yard stick available at the right time to prove it, and with the way lawyers pick apart radar guns, visuals on a 3 foot law would seem easier to refute than safe distance. At least safe distance is a judgment call, and you are questioning the judgment of the officer, not his ability to precisely tell 36" from 35" from 100 yards away.

RedRider2009 said:
Try just typing "License Plate look up" or something similar into a basic google search...
I suspect that that is illegal in my part of the world. Privacy and all that.

Yeah these are all good ideas. I think you can go straight to the police with that and press charges if you want. It's kind of like attempted man slaughter if you think about it. I mean they put cams on the cop cars now to protect people. If you get all that and go to the police, fill out a report. Say you want to press charges. This might be the best way.