Ultimate Road Bike

ForFlynLow

Feb 13, 2005
I am ready to step up to the next level. I am seriously considering a full carbon frameset and wondered what the group concensous was relative to top choices. I am considering the Trek Madone 5.9 or SSL as well as the Calfee Pro.Another option is a custom Russ Denny. I would welcome your thoughts.
Thanks!

If you can afford custom, and it looks like you can, always go custom. IMHO todays bikes are all so light its more about fit than anything. But, how about the Scott CR1? I moved to the flatlands of NC and sure do miss my hills in south OC... Laguna, Dana Point, PCH... especially Trestels, Old mans etc. Been to Blacks lately? Dude!!!! Well at least I have the outer banks.

ForFlynLow said:
I am ready to step up to the next level. I am seriously considering a full carbon frameset and wondered what the group concensous was relative to top choices. I am considering the Trek Madone 5.9 or SSL as well as the Calfee Pro.Another option is a custom Russ Denny. I would welcome your thoughts.
Thanks!

May want to look at Parlee, Steelman, and Fondriest, too.

My buddy races down here (San Diego) and seems to just love his Russ Denny.

antone said:
If you can afford custom, and it looks like you can, always go custom. IMHO todays bikes are all so light its more about fit than anything. But, how about the Scott CR1? I moved to the flatlands of NC and sure do miss my hills in south OC... Laguna, Dana Point, PCH... especially Trestels, Old mans etc. Been to Blacks lately? Dude!!!! Well at least I have the outer banks.
Sounds like you haven't been to western NC yet (around Robbinsville, south of Smokey Mtn Natl Park). Believe you'll find all the steep climbs and hairpin descents you want, plus some great mountain scenery.

The "Tail of the Dragon" and other roads in the Joyce Kilmer Forest are famous with the moto crowd too on weekends, but they are mostly a friendly bunch. Can give you more specifics if you want to head up and do some real climbing.

Wow - Antone's post really covered my response! At the price levels you're discussing, all the bikes will be fine. (Analogy: you can argue Porsche vs Ferrari forever, but at the end of the day they are both top-of-the-line and both win races. Similarly, pros and/or their teams switch bike brands almost seasonally, the riders still seem to win...) The real issue at this level is fit. I would say your objective is to find the best bike fit person you can get to in person, let them do their job, and take whatever bike the fitter recommends (i.e. bike shops typically don't stock every brand; work with what the fitter's shop can get you.) By the way, that may or may not be custom, because the fitter should tell you whether you would benefit from a custom frame vs. a stock size.

Thanks to all for your comments. I am currently riding a John Howard Custom so I clearly understand the merits of a custom frameset. I am looking into a bike fitting and have several options here in the San Diego area.I appreciate your thoughts and will investigate some of the additional companies mentioned.

Thanks!

dhk said:
Sounds like you haven't been to western NC yet (around Robbinsville, south of Smokey Mtn Natl Park). Believe you'll find all the steep climbs and hairpin descents you want, plus some great mountain scenery.

The "Tail of the Dragon" and other roads in the Joyce Kilmer Forest are famous with the moto crowd too on weekends, but they are mostly a friendly bunch. Can give you more specifics if you want to head up and do some real climbing.
You are Keerect! I did go to Boone last week(5 hr drive) for a respiratory conf without my bike but did do some running and the mountains there are unreal steep. Used muscles I forgot I had! I was just too used to gettin on my bike and going up within a few miles. I have found a lot more people riding here as of yesterday and look forward to the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Is that Beech Mtn????

ForFlynLow said:
Thanks!
I looked at carbon frames, but I went wiht ti. I ride a Merlin, it's MY ultimate road bike.

antone said:
You are Keerect! I did go to Boone last week(5 hr drive) for a respiratory conf without my bike but did do some running and the mountains there are unreal steep. Used muscles I forgot I had! I was just too used to gettin on my bike and going up within a few miles. I have found a lot more people riding here as of yesterday and look forward to the Blue Ridge Pkwy. Is that Beech Mtn????
Beech Mtn is about 15 miles west of Boone. The area I mentioned is western NC, near Robbinsville, just south of the Smoky Mtn Park. Mt. Mitchell is just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, near Asheville. "Assault on Mt Mitchell" is a very popular insane hill climb event, with some really steep sections and a 6600 ft summit.

bikeguy2004 said:
I looked at carbon frames, but I went wiht ti. I ride a Merlin, it's MY ultimate road bike.
My I inquire as to why you went with titanium over carbon?Which CF bikes were you looking at?