ULTIMATE TdF QUESTION - SERIOUS

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Clovis Lark, Jul 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    Great race, but what was up with the Cooke/McEwen contact? Cooke was clearly leaning into McEwen's
    line and shouldering/impeding his sprint (a la those fat fishin" OLN guys). Years past, I would have
    thunk that would mean automatic last place for Cooke. Has the UCI hooked up with the pro rastlin'
    circuit for future joint events?
     
    Tags:


  2. G

    G Guest

    Clovis Lark <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Great race, but what was up with the Cooke/McEwen contact? Cooke was clearly leaning into McEwen's
    > line and shouldering/impeding his sprint (a la those fat fishin" OLN guys). Years past, I would
    > have thunk that would mean automatic last place for Cooke. Has the UCI hooked up with the pro
    > rastlin' circuit for future joint events?

    Look again, McEwen swerved into Cooke slightly, Cooke over compensated when he tried to turn
    his bike away and his body went the opposite direction - onto McEwen. There was nothing in it
    for a protest.

    GK
     
  3. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Clovis Lark wrote:
    > Great race, but what was up with the Cooke/McEwen contact? Cooke was clearly leaning into McEwen's
    > line and shouldering/impeding his sprint (a la those fat fishin" OLN guys). Years past, I would
    > have thunk that would mean automatic last place for Cooke. Has the UCI hooked up with the pro
    > rastlin' circuit for future joint events?

    It looked to me like they just came together. I'll watch it again but I don't know who should be
    blamed. It happened in the last 10 or so meters and didn't seem to affect the finish, so I think
    it's a good no-call.

    --
    --
    Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP in
    charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.
     
  4. Jiyang Chen

    Jiyang Chen Guest

    What's rastlin'????

    "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > Great race, but what was up with the Cooke/McEwen contact? Cooke was clearly leaning into McEwen's
    > line and shouldering/impeding his sprint (a la those fat fishin" OLN guys). Years past, I would
    > have thunk that would mean automatic last place for Cooke. Has the UCI hooked up with the pro
    > rastlin' circuit for future joint events?
     
  5. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

  6. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    >From: [email protected] (g) Date: 7/27/2003 11:17 PM Eastern

    >Look again, McEwen swerved into Cooke slightly, Cooke over compensated when he tried to turn
    >his bike away and his body went the opposite direction - onto McEwen. There was nothing in it
    >for a protest.
    >
    >GK
    >
    It was nice to see Cooke put the shoulder to McWhiner and lean on him. Even Robbie's DS said that
    after he looked at the tape it was his guy who moved into Cooke. Bill C
     
  7. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    g <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Clovis Lark <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Great race, but what was up with the Cooke/McEwen contact? Cooke was clearly leaning into
    >> McEwen's line and shouldering/impeding his sprint (a la those fat fishin" OLN guys). Years past,
    >> I would have thunk that would mean automatic last place for Cooke. Has the UCI hooked up with the
    >> pro rastlin' circuit for future joint events?

    > Look again, McEwen swerved into Cooke slightly, Cooke over compensated when he tried to turn his
    > bike away and his body went the opposite direction - onto McEwen. There was nothing in it for a
    > protest.

    I looked at it three times. Didn't seem that way. I saw Cooke cut into McEwen's line, straighten,
    then at the line do it again making the contact. Saw it from both the front and from the chopper
    cam. but... Since neither seemed upset at the tactic... Aussie rules and all.

    > GK
     
  8. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    Raptor <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Clovis Lark wrote:
    >> Great race, but what was up with the Cooke/McEwen contact? Cooke was clearly leaning into
    >> McEwen's line and shouldering/impeding his sprint (a la those fat fishin" OLN guys). Years past,
    >> I would have thunk that would mean automatic last place for Cooke. Has the UCI hooked up with the
    >> pro rastlin' circuit for future joint events?

    > It looked to me like they just came together. I'll watch it again but I don't know who should be
    > blamed. It happened in the last 10 or so meters and didn't seem to affect the finish, so I think
    > it's a good no-call.

    The other question thatr comes to mind is when there is such contact that increases the possibility
    of a crash in a bunch sprint. In that case there'd be a double DQ.

    > --
    > --
    > Lynn Wallace http://www.xmission.com/~lawall "I'm not proud. We really haven't done everything we
    > could to protect our customers. Our products just aren't engineered for security." --Microsoft VP
    > in charge of Windows OS Development, Brian Valentine.
     
  9. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    Jiyang Chen <[email protected]> wrote:
    > What's rastlin'????

    Usually not done on bikes by big flabby guys who jump on each other and throw each other around
    until the script says that one wins. Audience is required to have fewer teeth than a new born infant
    and wave COnfedeerate flags...

    > "Clovis Lark" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >> Great race, but what was up with the Cooke/McEwen contact? Cooke was clearly leaning into
    >> McEwen's line and shouldering/impeding his sprint (a la those fat fishin" OLN guys). Years past,
    >> I would have thunk that would mean automatic last place for Cooke. Has the UCI hooked up with the
    >> pro rastlin' circuit for future joint events?
     
  10. G

    G Guest

    Clovis Lark <[email protected]> wrote:

    > g <[email protected]> wrote:
    > > Clovis Lark <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >> Great race, but what was up with the Cooke/McEwen contact? Cooke was clearly leaning into
    > >> McEwen's line and shouldering/impeding his sprint (a la those fat fishin" OLN guys). Years
    > >> past, I would have thunk that would mean automatic last place for Cooke. Has the UCI hooked up
    > >> with the pro rastlin' circuit for future joint events?
    >
    > > Look again, McEwen swerved into Cooke slightly, Cooke over compensated when he tried to turn his
    > > bike away and his body went the opposite direction - onto McEwen. There was nothing in it for a
    > > protest.
    >
    > I looked at it three times. Didn't seem that way. I saw Cooke cut into McEwen's line, straighten,
    > then at the line do it again making the contact. Saw it from both the front and from the chopper
    > cam. but... Since neither seemed upset at the tactic... Aussie rules and all.

    Ok, I didn't realise u were refering to the 40 or 50m before the line when Cooke moved over to make
    McEwen travel further, commissaires let that go since its in the middle of the road. That kind of
    action against the barriers is different, that would be closing the door. (Graeme Brown tends to do
    that and gets relegated regularly, in Italy and Australia, the dickwit.. The Cookie Monster is
    smarter than that.)

    The contact on the line was from McEwen clearly moving into Cooke. I correct my original post,
    having seen it several times tonight, not swerving slightly, he swerved 1m! Domo's DS viewed the
    video himself and decided there was no protest. Its French rules, their race.

    GK
     
  11. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    Robbie Mc actually had the balls to go to the commisars and ask them to look at the tape.... The
    reply was "we saw what happened you got no grounds... they were later quoted on as saying the
    McWhinney bastard went "looking for" Cooke...... great turn of phrase.
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...