Ultra Light Bicycle Touring

Karstens Rage

Guest
There is a new Yahoo group devoted to the ideas, gear and philosophies
of Ultra Light or Light Bicycle Touring. Right now most of the members
are direct from the Backpacking side of UltraLight. They have lots of
ideas on lightweight gear, sleeping at your destination, protecting
yourself from the elements, clothing, etc.

Bicycle touring has some of the same objectives but can bring a lot to
the table with respect to weight, what works on bikes (we know cold even
if we dont hang out in the Sierras), clothing, water, food, credit card
touring vs. "roughing it" (whatever that might mean to you) and more.

This is not a group about lightweight bicycle components. Its more about
bicycle touring without a touring bicycle (ride your Merlin Extralight
cross country?)

The group is moderated and small yet. Come make it bigger.

<*> To visit the group on the web, go to:

[email protected]

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

What is the name of the group?

Ernie

Karstens Rage wrote:

> There is a new Yahoo group devoted to the ideas, gear and philosophies
> of Ultra Light or Light Bicycle Touring. Right now most of the members
> are direct from the Backpacking side of UltraLight. They have lots of
> ideas on lightweight gear, sleeping at your destination, protecting
> yourself from the elements, clothing, etc.
>
> Bicycle touring has some of the same objectives but can bring a lot to
> the table with respect to weight, what works on bikes (we know cold even
> if we dont hang out in the Sierras), clothing, water, food, credit card
> touring vs. "roughing it" (whatever that might mean to you) and more.

The credit card is about as ultralight as it gets.

In rec.bicycles.misc gwhite <[email protected]> wrote:
> The credit card is about as ultralight as it gets.

i took it to mean in the context of long distance unsupported touring. in
that case a credit card is not enuf. i do it solo with this:

http://www.visi.com/~reuteler/pannier2002.html

about 30 pounds & that's considered very light for what it is. "credit
card" touring is usually only for a few days. in much of the west, at any
rate, you're fairly likely to be caught somewhere with no motels in sight.
--
david reuteler
[email protected]

"gwhite" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Karstens Rage wrote:
>>
>> There is a new Yahoo group devoted to the ideas, gear and
>> philosophies of Ultra Light or Light Bicycle Touring. Right now most
>> of the members are direct from the Backpacking side of UltraLight.
>> They have lots of ideas on lightweight gear, sleeping at your
>> destination, protecting yourself from the elements, clothing, etc.
>>
>> Bicycle touring has some of the same objectives but can bring a lot
>> to the table with respect to weight, what works on bikes (we know
>> cold even if we dont hang out in the Sierras), clothing, water,
>> food, credit card touring vs. "roughing it" (whatever that might
>> mean to you) and more.

> The credit card is about as ultralight as it gets.

Mine's overloaded.

--

A: Top-posters.