ultra lt wt race wheel recommendation

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by chip13, Mar 4, 2006.

1. chip13

chip13 New Member

I have Ksyrium SL wheels on my Orbea which are great all around wheels and somewhat light wt at 1600 grams. Looking at picking up a wheel set weighing under 1450 grams for event days only. Any suggestions or good experiences out there?

Chip13
    2006 Orbea Orca
    Record/Chorus mix
    FKS carbon crank
    ITM stem and bars

Tags:

2. gregkeller

gregkeller New Member

price range? Clinchers or Tubulars? if you've got unlimited resources then a set of lightweights would set you back around 3000 but they are aero and super light. More realistic might be zipp 404's or 303's. those are tubulars which are always going to be lighter than clinchers.

3. chip13

chip13 New Member

I'm sticking with clinchers. Had tubulars and didn't like the hassle. Also trying to keep under $2000 for both wheels.

4. 1x1

1x1 New Member

The Zipp's are a good choice and are available in clinchers but I don't think you will save much weight. You could go with a carbon clincher that would get you under 1500 g. but you will spend most, if not more than your 2K. The Reynolds Stratus is a nice one.

Another thing to consider for your race wheels would be using a lighter tire and tube. Depending on what you use to train vs race, you could easliy drop 50 g. per wheel. Food for thought.

5. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

Check Ebay.... theres alot of good deals on there.

I've seen some Corima wheels on there, in the last 2-3 months fairly inexpensive - $225-300 for a near-new front carbon deep section wheel , either tubular or clincher !!! Even Zipp wheels, front deep carbon wheels - and disc rears , etc.

6. hd reynolds

hd reynolds New Member

TOPOLINO REVELATIONS WHEELSET

7. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Wait, you are willing to pay for a super-duper-mega-ultra wheelset and insist on clinchers? :eek::rolleyes:

Why? Aren't these types of wheels race day only? You don't appreciate the weight, or the nicer ride of a high performance tubular wheelset?

Anyways, consider Lightweight, Campagnolo Bora, Zipps, just to name a few.

And please, please, please get them in tubulars. They way they are made to be! ;)

8. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I got 1350 gram 2005 Ritchey Protocol wheels with the fixed hub. Haven't ridden them yet but I think they might be equal to or better than my Ksyrium SL's. They have a more aero rim and are lighter, but the SL's hubs are better (lower friction).

I have Ksyrium Sl, Eurus, Protocol, R535, HED 3, and Xero Lite wheels on my 5 road bikes.

I've seen the 2005 Protocols on ebay for $369. I haven't seen many reviews for this wheel though. Can't wait to get my only 10 speed bike setup so I can test these wheels.