Ultra steep HILL climb training...on ONE wheel!

unigeezer

Oct 1, 2009
Fargo Street in Los Angeles is famous for its annual hill climbing event. 500+ feet long and 33% continuous grade, makes it one of the steepest streets in the US!
eek.gif

The video below was shot just last week, after almost 1.5 years since the first and only other time I tried the Fargo climb. I just turned 55 in January and, admittedly, I am a bit rusty, and was basically trying to get a "feel" for it again, so these were more training climbs than anything else.

As is common, the video camera cannot do justice to the sheer wall-like steepness of this monster hill, but it still gives a farily good sense if it in sections.

The first part you see me going straight up, on my 24 MUni, and then after a while I started angling a bit, but much more diagonal than horizontal traversing. I thought it might make the climb a bit easier, but it didn't!

The guy breathing hard is the Fargo street resident who used my camera to film me, and was only *walking* behind me, and pretty slowly at that! The second training climb towards the end of the video is a side view, showing me riding straight up. I have a LOT more training to do!

Reactions: cools
Originally Posted by unigeezer .

Fargo Street in Los Angeles is famous for its annual hill climbing event. 500+ feet long and 33% continuous grade, makes it one of the steepest streets in the US!
eek.gif

The video below was shot just last week, after almost 1.5 years since the first and only other time I tried the Fargo climb. I just turned 55 in January and, admittedly, I am a bit rusty, and was basically trying to get a "feel" for it again, so these were more training climbs than anything else.
Awesome video, i'll need to make sure I give this hill a crack when we come over for the Tour of California in may.

jesus that hill looks scary. I've been on a hill with similar grade, but it was really short. I never climbed it, only went down it, and I actually had to get off my bike and walk, and just walking down it I was having difficulty holding the bike to keep it from falling lol.

Originally Posted by steve .

Awesome video, i'll need to make sure I give this hill a crack when we come over for the Tour of California in may.
Imagine how awesome it would be if they had a ramp and the bottom and you raced down the hill as fast as possible.

Bonza!

You following the Tour of California for the entire race or just some of the SoCal stages?

unigeezer -- I was just curious if this is you in this pic? I took this at the Long Beach Marathon Bike Tour on October 17, 2010 (I rode my two-wheeler) because I thought this person was amazing to ride a unicycle for 26.2 miles (or any distance for that matter!) I hope to see you ride at this year's Fargo Street Hill Climb!

Originally Posted by mtbkathy .

unigeezer -- I was just curious if this is you in this pic? I took this at the Long Beach Marathon Bike Tour on October 17, 2010 (I rode my two-wheeler) because I thought this person was amazing to ride a unicycle for 26.2 miles (or any distance for that matter!) I hope to see you ride at this year's Fargo Street Hill Climb!
Yeah that was me. I filmed myself while riding, and did the entire 26 miles non-stop, finishing in 2:04. I had done a full century on the same 36er uni back on 7/11/10, and finished that in 11 hours and change. Btw, would you happen to have a high resolution of this pic, and any others you might have snapped of me riding?

Here is the original pic. Unfortunately, I did not get any other pics while riding. I used to have a GoPro helmet cam and used it once in the L.A. Marathon a couple years ago, and that was the only time it worked.

Attachments

• IMG_3376.jpg
    IMG_3376.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17
Originally Posted by mtbkathy .

Here is the original pic. Unfortunately, I did not get any other pics while riding. I used to have a GoPro helmet cam and used it once in the L.A. Marathon a couple years ago, and that was the only time it worked.

Thanks for the pic!

Attachments

• IMG_3376.jpg
    IMG_3376.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 17