unabashed plug, Crumpton

In article
<tedbennett-3D748B.18074409052008@earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>,
Ted Bennett <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>

> > Hm. What about a one-stop commuter nexus in a downtown core? Valet bike
> > storage, on-site showers and lockers, bike shop with same-day service
> > for repairs, and (oh, why not...) a bit of coffee service? The trick
> > would be getting a central enough location that you had a viable
> > customer base, but such a business would have a chance of being a
> > game-changer: actually creating bike commuters by virtue of easing some
> > of the pain.

> Check. Bike Central here in Portland.
>
> www.portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm?c=34813&a=58381
>

> Ted

A NON-profit? I want to make some money, here!

Thanks. I'll look into it.

> I've never actually met you, intros and all, but I do remember a brief
> encounter at the old South Austin Bikes, actually not too long past
> the time when I swapped out some plumber labor (venting for bathroom
> fixtures IMS) for a tubular tire or two with Jim Keene and (I think)
> Al, or maybe Joe. Anyhow, even my paltry 182 lb. racing weight of old
> pushed the envelope of equipment made for a population where 165lbs.
> is "big".

Hmm, whaddaya know? I worked there a couple of different spells. The
last time was in 1994, and that stint ended when I snapped a Deore XT
crank spindle off trying to surge out into traffic on South First,
resulting in me breaking my face. I was rather lean and fast then, no
heavier than about 260 lbs. or so.

A few years later, I remember just by chance being Joe Kunesh's last
customer on his last day of business before he packed it in. I had
special-ordered a Sachs front drum and when I went to the South
Congress shop to pick it up, I learned that there would be no more
stopping by South Austin Bikes. I don't think I ever saw Joe again,
or Al either for that matter.

> Meaning: besides the eye candy aspect,
> their bikes are used for racer stuff-- group rides, racing.

That's as it should be. I think the weight budget for most CFRP bikes
contains an allowance for inattention that probably doesn't apply to
the work of a single craftsman with his name on the downtube. If the
level of finish is any indication, all details in Nick's bikes are
just so. Weight for weight, that would make his bikes at least more
predictable than factory bikes if not outright stronger.

I think of plastic bikes as little airplanes for the road. That is,
they are both strangely strong and very demanding about what they'll
tolerate. They are the opposite of old-style steel bikes that may not
be especially strong but are so tough that small localized failures
can pass unnoticed.

> It comes down to tools for the job IMHO. If I had the discretionary
> bux (not with young kids still in the house), easy choice. For now, I
> scrounge <g> and that's OK, too.

I have had the liberty to spend pretty much all the money I wish on
bikes for a few years now. My stable has grown greatly in size but
not in median cost. I scrounge a lot-- not primarily to save cash but
mostly to acquire some of the parts that were too good (or heavy, or
big) to remain on the market. For instance I came up with a handful
of 185mm Primo Powerbite cranks and BBs for $89/set some years back.
I bought them because they were my first choice irrespective of
cost.

> At the risk of re-repeating, the object was to win the comparison. So,
> congrats to the little guy, for once <g> in this modern corporate
> world, and he's a local, too.

Momentum magazine or BCQ should host a shootout like that. I imagine
the entries would be a bit more inspiring (to me).

Chalo

On May 10, 2:52 pm, Chalo <[email protected]> wrote:

> That's as it should be.  I think the weight budget for most CFRP bikes
> contains an allowance for inattention that probably doesn't apply to
> the work of a single craftsman with his name on the downtube.  If the
> level of finish is any indication, all details in Nick's bikes are
> just so.  Weight for weight, that would make his bikes at least more
> predictable than factory bikes if not outright stronger.

The weight aspect of Nick's bikes, from talking to him, has been
carefully worked out, partly by experimenting with frames he built for
himself. My dad used to say that it was worth it to pay for extra
finish work because it showed a builder's pride in his work. And he
was not much inclined to spend extra on anything <g>.

> I think of plastic bikes as little airplanes for the road.  That is,
> they are both strangely strong and very demanding about what they'll
> tolerate.  They are the opposite of old-style steel bikes that may not
> be especially strong but are so tough that small localized failures
> can pass unnoticed.

I enjoyed the "frame test" seen here in the past-- whatever the flaws
in the protocols, the CF Trek was relieved due to boredom <g>, while
steel broke early. However, that Trek was not the one I saw at a race
one night, I'm pretty sure. The rider dumped the chain, kinda wadded
it up, and couldn't wait for met to go get my chain breaker. Yanked it
through the too-tight gap between chainstay and crank arm, and put a
fine deep scratch in that stay, well past the clear coat. Ouch! CF,
not the bike to take on the slammin' dirt road rides of yesteryear,
either.

> I scrounge a lot-- not primarily to save cash but
> mostly to acquire some of the parts that were too good (or heavy, or
> big) to remain on the market.  For instance I came up with a handful
> of 185mm Primo Powerbite cranks and BBs for $89/set some years back.
> I bought them because they were my first choice irrespective of
> cost.

I'm trying to think of a kinder, more gentle expression for
intelligent market survey and purchasing.

> Momentum magazine or BCQ should host a shootout like that.  I imagine
> the entries would be a bit more inspiring (to me).

Wouldn't hurt anything to ask. Maybe you could participate? --D-y