Unaugural 2008: Some bad news, a roll call, and a vote

Andrew McKenna wrote:
> Oi, leave me alone. I was the only one who *didn't* pike Australia Day!

Minx didn't pike on the Australia Day ride either!

BTH

On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 03:56:39 -0700 (PDT), BT Humble
<[email protected]> wrote:

>The bad news:
>In spite of my ongoing efforts to learn the valuable skill of weather
>control, I haven't been able to make it rain at Funkytown this month.
>That means that we won't be able to have a bonfire this year. I'm
>sorry, but there's just too much dry grass about..
>
>The roll call:
>If you're going to attend, please reply to this thread with an "aye"
>and how many people you're bringing (I need a rough count so that I
>can make sure I buy enough food).

Aye

>The vote:
>I'm comfortable with either a 2004-style medium-sized campfire or a
>2006-style shed party. If you're a confirmed attendee, please cast
>your vote so that I can make appropriate preparations over the next 2
>weeks.

I can't remember back to 2004 and whether I was there or piked as per
usual. I do have vague recollections of a shed party though.

I don't care either way, as long as I've got drink and I'm at least a
little warm ....... though enough beer will fix that problem in any
case.

>The only situation I can see it being possible to have a bonfire is if
>it's raining on the day, and I suspect that's pretty damned unlikely.
>

>BTH

__

Cheers
The Happy Drunk
K100RT

On Apr 17, 9:11 am, "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote:
> BT Humble wrote:
> > The bad news:
> > In spite of my ongoing efforts to learn the valuable skill of weather
> > control, I haven't been able to make it rain at Funkytown this month.
> > That means that we won't be able to have a bonfire this year. I'm
> > sorry, but there's just too much dry grass about..

> It's bloody pouring here in Perth today. We're well on track for one of out
> wettest Aprils on record. We passed the fifth wettest yesterday.
>
> Bloody global warming!
>
> Theo

Oi! Don't be so bloody greedy. Send some over to Melbourne where we
need it!

Bloody gubiment has started plans to take water out of the productive
farming areas in the Goulburn Valley and pipe to to Melbourne to water
the conctrete. So any rain we get is sorely needed.

SteveB

SteveB wrote:
> On Apr 17, 9:11 am, "Theo Bekkers" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> BT Humble wrote:
>>> The bad news:
>>> In spite of my ongoing efforts to learn the valuable skill of weather
>>> control, I haven't been able to make it rain at Funkytown this month.
>>> That means that we won't be able to have a bonfire this year. I'm
>>> sorry, but there's just too much dry grass about..

>> It's bloody pouring here in Perth today. We're well on track for one of out
>> wettest Aprils on record. We passed the fifth wettest yesterday.
>>
>> Bloody global warming!
>>
>> Theo

> Oi! Don't be so bloody greedy. Send some over to Melbourne where we
> need it!
>
> Bloody gubiment has started plans to take water out of the productive
> farming areas in the Goulburn Valley and pipe to to Melbourne to water
> the conctrete. So any rain we get is sorely needed.

Speak for yourself. Bloody marvellous motorcycling weather here in
sunny Melbourne. According to the BoM so far this month in Perth city
they've had 131mm of rain and the BoM station closest to me in suburban
Melbourne has measured 6.8mm, but it's on the hill over the river, which
gets more rain than I do.. my gauge has only registered 4mm for the month.

Nev..
'07 XB12X

Nev.. wrote:
> SteveB wrote:
>>> It's bloody pouring here in Perth today. We're well on track for one
>>> of out
>>> wettest Aprils on record. We passed the fifth wettest yesterday.
>>>
>>> Bloody global warming!
>>>
>>> Theo

>> Oi! Don't be so bloody greedy. Send some over to Melbourne where we
>> need it!
>>
>> Bloody gubiment has started plans to take water out of the productive
>> farming areas in the Goulburn Valley and pipe to to Melbourne to water
>> the conctrete. So any rain we get is sorely needed.

> Speak for yourself. Bloody marvellous motorcycling weather here in
> sunny Melbourne. According to the BoM so far this month in Perth city
> they've had 131mm of rain and the BoM station closest to me in suburban
> Melbourne has measured 6.8mm, but it's on the hill over the river, which
> gets more rain than I do.. my gauge has only registered 4mm for the month.
>
> Nev..
> '07 XB12X

I think I'll cycle to work today. That should break the drought.

Moike

Moike wrote:
> I think I'll cycle to work today. That should break the drought.

Maybe. Did you peg out the washing and wash the Superboike too?

BTH

On Apr 16, 8:56 pm, BT Humble <[email protected]> wrote:

> The roll call:
> If you're going to attend, please reply to this thread with an "aye"
> and how many people you're bringing (I need a rough count so that I
> can make sure I buy enough food).

Tentative "aye"...

On Apr 18, 12:04 am, "Nev.." <[email protected]> wrote:
> SteveB wrote:
> >> It's bloody pouring here in Perth today. We're well on track for one of out
> >> wettest Aprils on record. We passed the fifth wettest yesterday.

> >> Bloody global warming!

> >> Theo

> > Oi! Don't be so bloody greedy. Send some over to Melbourne where we
> > need it!

> > Bloody gubiment has started plans to take water out of the productive
> > farming areas in the Goulburn Valley and pipe to to Melbourne to water
> > the conctrete. So any rain we get is sorely needed.

> Speak for yourself. Bloody marvellous motorcycling weather here in
> sunny Melbourne. According to the BoM so far this month in Perth city
> they've had 131mm of rain and the BoM station closest to me in suburban
> Melbourne has measured 6.8mm, but it's on the hill over the river, which
> gets more rain than I do.. my gauge has only registered 4mm for the month.
>
> Nev..
> '07 XB12X

Hey, I didn't say it had to rain during the day when you are out
riding.
I'm happy for it to rain from midnight to 6am thank you very much.

SteveB

SteveB wrote:
> On Apr 18, 12:04 am, "Nev.." <[email protected]> wrote:
>> SteveB wrote:
>>> Oi! Don't be so bloody greedy. Send some over to Melbourne where we
>>> need it!
>>> Bloody gubiment has started plans to take water out of the productive
>>> farming areas in the Goulburn Valley and pipe to to Melbourne to water
>>> the conctrete. So any rain we get is sorely needed.

>> Speak for yourself. Bloody marvellous motorcycling weather here in
>> sunny Melbourne. According to the BoM so far this month in Perth city
>> they've had 131mm of rain and the BoM station closest to me in suburban
>> Melbourne has measured 6.8mm, but it's on the hill over the river, which
>> gets more rain than I do.. my gauge has only registered 4mm for the month.
>>
>> Nev..
>> '07 XB12X

> Hey, I didn't say it had to rain during the day when you are out
> riding.
> I'm happy for it to rain from midnight to 6am thank you very much.

Now you're making baseless assumptions about when I ride. :p

Nev..
'07 XB12X

BT Humble wrote:
> The roll call:
> If you're going to attend, please reply to this thread with an "aye"
> and how many people you're bringing (I need a rough count so that I
> can make sure I buy enough food).

aye, but I'm not sure yet whether it'll be a whistlestop visit or for
the duration - at this stage, I need to be in about 3 places that
weekend, all at least 40km from each other! More than likely just myself
this time, and I might even turn up on two wheels this time.

> The vote:
> I'm comfortable with either a 2004-style medium-sized campfire or a
> 2006-style shed party. If you're a confirmed attendee, please cast
> your vote so that I can make appropriate preparations over the next 2
> weeks.

I'm a pyro from way back, so I wouldn't be turning down a chance to see
stuff burn. :) But a shed party is still fine with me if the
environmentals don't favour the other option.

BT Humble wrote:
> The bad news:
> In spite of my ongoing efforts to learn the valuable skill of weather
> control, I haven't been able to make it rain at Funkytown this month.
> That means that we won't be able to have a bonfire this year. I'm
> sorry, but there's just too much dry grass about..
>
> The roll call:
> If you're going to attend, please reply to this thread with an "aye"
> and how many people you're bringing (I need a rough count so that I
> can make sure I buy enough food).
>
> The vote:
> I'm comfortable with either a 2004-style medium-sized campfire or a
> 2006-style shed party. If you're a confirmed attendee, please cast
> your vote so that I can make appropriate preparations over the next 2
> weeks.
>
> The only situation I can see it being possible to have a bonfire is if
> it's raining on the day, and I suspect that's pretty damned unlikely.
>

> BTH

tentative aye

On Apr 19, 11:00 pm, "Nev.." <[email protected]> wrote:
> SteveB wrote:
> >> Speak for yourself. Bloody marvellous motorcycling weather here in
> >> sunny Melbourne. According to the BoM so far this month in Perth city
> >> they've had 131mm of rain and the BoM station closest to me in suburban
> >> Melbourne has measured 6.8mm, but it's on the hill over the river, which
> >> gets more rain than I do.. my gauge has only registered 4mm for the month.

> >> Nev..
> >> '07 XB12X

> > Hey, I didn't say it had to rain during the day when you are out
> > riding.
> > I'm happy for it to rain from midnight to 6am thank you very much.

> Now you're making baseless assumptions about when I ride. :p
>
> Nev..
> '07 XB12X

That was a "royal" you, as in a generic term for any rider, not you
personally.

Sheesh, touchy...

SteveB

"BT Humble" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The bad news:
> In spite of my ongoing efforts to learn the valuable skill of weather
> control, I haven't been able to make it rain at Funkytown this month.
> That means that we won't be able to have a bonfire this year. I'm
> sorry, but there's just too much dry grass about..
>
> The roll call:
> If you're going to attend, please reply to this thread with an "aye"
> and how many people you're bringing (I need a rough count so that I
> can make sure I buy enough food).
>
> The vote:
> I'm comfortable with either a 2004-style medium-sized campfire or a
> 2006-style shed party. If you're a confirmed attendee, please cast
> your vote so that I can make appropriate preparations over the next 2
> weeks.
>
> The only situation I can see it being possible to have a bonfire is if
> it's raining on the day, and I suspect that's pretty damned unlikely.
>

> BTH

m(aye)be
I like fire

:p

<[email protected]> wrote:

>The only situation I can see it being possible to have a bonfire is if
>it's raining on the day, and I suspect that's pretty damned unlikely.

looking at the radar, some of today's rain may have reached Funkytown.

Aeek wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 03:56:39 -0700 (PDT), BT Humble
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> The only situation I can see it being possible to have a bonfire is if
>> it's raining on the day, and I suspect that's pretty damned unlikely.

> looking at the radar, some of today's rain may have reached Funkytown.

Listening to the sounds outside, it's been absolutely pissing down for
most of the day here in Goulburn. I'd be very surprised indeed if Tarago
didn't cop it too, given the usual trends for rainfall in this region.

On Apr 27, 7:49 pm, Damien <[email protected]> wrote:
> Aeek wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 03:56:39 -0700 (PDT),BTHumble
> > <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> The only situation I can see it being possible to have a bonfire is if
> >> it's raining on the day, and I suspect that's pretty damned unlikely.

> > looking at the radar, some of today's rain may have reached Funkytown.

> Listening to the sounds outside, it's been absolutely pissing down for
> most of the day here in Goulburn. I'd be very surprised indeed if Tarago
> didn't cop it too, given the usual trends for rainfall in this region.

Yes, but the point is more that 1 week isn't really long enough to
green everything up, and there's a lot of standing dry grass there.
Have a look here:

http://www.humbletown.org/unaugural2008/index.htm

See how much it dried off between the February and March pictures?
It's now even drier, and just as long. Unless that standing dry grass
is at least damp on Saturday night, there'll be no bonfire.

More pointedly, there'll be no bonfire until the "No Fires Without A
Permit" sign comes down from next to the Loaded Dog.

BTH

Tomasso wrote:

> For that matter, did any CYCLISTS turn up (as opposed to motos who own a
> bike)?

Actually some of the people that BTH knows from aus.motorcycles and
aus.bicycles are both cyclists and motorcyclists.

Off the top of my head -: BTH, G-S (me), Moike

I'm sure there are more :)

G-S (who hasn't piked yet, but it isn't looking good...)

G-S wrote:
> Tomasso wrote:
>>
>> For that matter, did any CYCLISTS turn up (as opposed to motos who own
>> a bike)?

It's next weekend, so no-ones turned up yet.

I've put more Ks on my bicycles than my motorbike in the last two
years. Does that count?

Tarrago is a bit too far for me to cycle up from Melb for the weekend,
so I'll be arriving via something that burns fossils.

> Actually some of the people that BTH knows from aus.motorcycles and
> aus.bicycles are both cyclists and motorcyclists.
>
> Off the top of my head -: BTH, G-S (me), Moike

Nev, Tim, Lemmiwinks, Zebee come to mind. All 'serious' cyclists.

> I'm sure there are more :)
>

> G-S (who hasn't piked yet, but it isn't looking good...)

Oh go on... If I can dust off the Superboike, you can stir yourself.

I'm leaving just before lunch on friday, probably staying at Tintaldra
if there's no snow on the hills.

(If the weather looks like turning nasty like last time I'll take the
van. Last time I went I was turned back on the way home by the snow at
Kiandra, and had to backtrack via Cann River. It was a long, cold,
dark, boring trip home.)

Moike

On Apr 29, 7:41 am, G-S <[email protected]> wrote:
> Tomasso wrote:
>
> > For that matter, did any CYCLISTS turn up (as opposed to motos who own a
> > bike)?

>  >
>
> Actually some of the people that BTH knows from aus.motorcycles and
> aus.bicycles are both cyclists and motorcyclists.
>
> Off the top of my head -: BTH, G-S (me), Moike
>
> I'm sure there are more :)
>
> G-S (who hasn't piked yet, but it isn't looking good...)

I'm piking. :-(

JL

"Moike" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> G-S wrote:
> > Tomasso wrote:
> >>
> >> For that matter, did any CYCLISTS turn up (as opposed to motos who own
> >> a bike)?

> It's next weekend, so no-ones turned up yet.

Sorry, I meant did any cycle purists turn up in the past.

> I've put more Ks on my bicycles than my motorbike in the last two
> years. Does that count?

It's about 66.67% pure.

> Tarrago is a bit too far for me to cycle up from Melb for the weekend,
> so I'll be arriving via something that burns fossils.

Yer, OK, it would probably take five days each way...

> > Actually some of the people that BTH knows from aus.motorcycles and
> > aus.bicycles are both cyclists and motorcyclists.
> >
> > Off the top of my head -: BTH, G-S (me), Moike Nev, Tim, Lemmiwinks,
> > Zebee come to mind. All 'serious' cyclists.

Certainly serious usenet users, but all aus.motos. That makes them a hybrid or
a sub-species.