General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Unbagging Groceries Oops.

Started by Andy · · Last activity · 83 posts · 620 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
2 September 2007
Last activity
7 September 2007
Original author
Andy
Posts
83
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
620
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 83
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Robert L Bass said:


    "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Robert L Bass said:

    >> Hey, we are bread for this sort of thing.
    >
    > We represent the upper crust of punsters.

    That one knocked me on my buns.

    "Buns" was just used. Snipping it doesn't save you. 🙂

    Dang it. Now I'm toast.

    At last I was upfront with that call, and not rye about it.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28

  2. "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Dee Dee said:

    I always carry a large ice chest to shop. It, too, can get pretty
    watery.
    Even though I use blocks as well.
    DH just puts everything on the trunk floor (to my consternation), but I
    try
    to at least put things in a box.

    I have a six-dollar styrofoam cooler in my trunk so if I want to do some
    other errands or have lunch on the way home from the grocery I can toss
    the cooler-items in with a less-than-two-dollar bag of ice and not have
    to worry about it. I got the cheap styro cooler so that if I 'm ever in
    a situation where whatever I'm doing requires more hauling space than is
    available with the cooler onboard I can just pitch it.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263

    I love this idea, but DH won't spend money for ice once we're out -- so we
    think ahead and take it from home -- we don't ever leave without doing
    'some' shopping.
    Dee Dee

  3. In article said:

    On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:52:28 -0400, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Not in the spirit of the thread, but I was so proud of myself that
    I found canvas shopping bags a couple of weeks ago and so
    annoyed with myself that not once have I remembered to take them
    into the store. Today I had a breakthrough ... only wanted a couple
    things from the store and remembered to bring in a bag.

    What was nice was that, even though what I bought was rather
    heavy, it all fit into one canvas bag and was plenty sturdy to
    carry the load.


    Hopefully those bags will become more common in the near future.
    Maybe even sold in grocery stores.

    <lol>

    Nice Sarcasm!

    The problem I have with those canvas bags is that they rarely end up
    being used for groceries. They are too handy for OTHER stuff!
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Little Malice) said:
    One time on Usenet said:


    "val189" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I have a huge, 30 gallon Rubbermaid box in my trunk and all grocery
    bags get 'stood up' in that box. Keeps stuff from dumping and
    rolling.

    Not in the spirit of the thread, but I was so proud of myself that
    I found canvas shopping bags a couple of weeks ago and so
    annoyed with myself that not once have I remembered to take them
    into the store. Today I had a breakthrough ... only wanted a couple
    things from the store and remembered to bring in a bag.

    What was nice was that, even though what I bought was rather
    heavy, it all fit into one canvas bag and was plenty sturdy to
    carry the load.

    Kroger/Fred Meyer has reusable bags for 99 cents each, which is much
    better than some prices I've seen. I remember them about 80% of the
    time (not too bad) and I get a 5 cent discount per bag...

    Those damned things are around $4.00 each here.

    I think I need to drag out the sewing machine and make a few of my own.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nancy Young said:

    <sf> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:52:28 -0400, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    Not in the spirit of the thread, but I was so proud of myself that
    I found canvas shopping bags a couple of weeks ago and so

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    What was nice was that, even though what I bought was rather
    heavy, it all fit into one canvas bag and was plenty sturdy to
    carry the load.


    Hopefully those bags will become more common in the near future.
    Maybe even sold in grocery stores.

    I've been keeping an eye out for canvas bags, they were always
    more than I was interested in spending. $10 and up, apiece.

    Then I went to a fabric store to buy cloth for a different project and
    decided to look for sturdy material to sew up bags myself. Also
    I needed a box to mail the TPR to Christine. In looking for the box
    I came across a set of 3 canvas bags for something like $8. Hello.

    Those fabric stores, never know what you'll find there.

    But I wondered why the supermarket isn't selling them for cost.
    Thought to email them about it, but I never did.

    nancy

    Hobby Lobby often has good prices on them as they are sold for
    embroidery and beading projects.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  6. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:

    Omelet wrote:
    > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >> Omelet wrote:
    >> > In article <[email hidden]>,
    >> > Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> > Elephant garlic? I made something the other day that called for
    >> >> > elephant
    >> >> > garlic, but I couldn't find any. Is it like regular garlic, only
    >> >> > bigger?
    >> >>
    >> >> Same thing, but at the store they keep it in a trunk instead of a
    >> >> basket...
    >>
    >> > Boo!!!
    >>
    >> Hey, I'm on a roll, here...
    >>
    >> And don't try to tell me rolls are OT for a cooking group. 😉
    >
    > Never. ;-)
    >
    > I'm always up for a pun war.
    >
    > I'm all ears...

    A bun war? I...I...oh, a *pun* war. I guess I didn't switch gears from
    rolls quickly enough. 🙂

    Hey, we are bread for this sort of thing.

    We represent the upper crust of punsters.

    Crumby puns are not always appreciated.
    One has to proof them first in order to get a rise out of people.
    They knead some esoteric humor.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  7. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:
    Robert L Bass said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Hey, we are bread for this sort of thing.

    We represent the upper crust of punsters.

    That one knocked me on my buns.

    "Buns" was just used. Snipping it doesn't save you. 🙂

    Pun war rules are rather Crumby, but I just used that in my last post,
    <sigh>.

    Guess I will loaf until the next round.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  8. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:
    Robert L Bass said:


    "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Robert L Bass wrote:
    >>> Hey, we are bread for this sort of thing.
    >>
    >> We represent the upper crust of punsters.
    >
    > That one knocked me on my buns.

    "Buns" was just used. Snipping it doesn't save you. 🙂

    Dang it. Now I'm toast.

    At last I was upfront with that call, and not rye about it.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263

    At yeast you were honest.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  9. Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:
    Robert L Bass said:


    "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > Robert L Bass wrote:
    >>>> Hey, we are bread for this sort of thing.
    >>>
    >>> We represent the upper crust of punsters.
    >>
    >> That one knocked me on my buns.
    >
    > "Buns" was just used. Snipping it doesn't save you. 🙂

    Dang it. Now I'm toast.

    At last I was upfront with that call, and not rye about it.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263

    At yeast you were honest.

    Damn you. I was about to use "yeast". 😉

    <back to the drawing board>

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28

  10. Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > Omelet wrote:
    > > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > > Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Omelet wrote:
    > >> > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > >> > Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > >> >
    > >> >> > Elephant garlic? I made something the other day that called for
    > >> >> > elephant
    > >> >> > garlic, but I couldn't find any. Is it like regular garlic, only
    > >> >> > bigger?
    > >> >>
    > >> >> Same thing, but at the store they keep it in a trunk instead of a
    > >> >> basket...
    > >>
    > >> > Boo!!!
    > >>
    > >> Hey, I'm on a roll, here...
    > >>
    > >> And don't try to tell me rolls are OT for a cooking group. 😉
    > >
    > > Never. ;-)
    > >
    > > I'm always up for a pun war.
    > >
    > > I'm all ears...
    >
    > A bun war? I...I...oh, a *pun* war. I guess I didn't switch gears from
    > rolls quickly enough. 🙂

    Hey, we are bread for this sort of thing.

    We represent the upper crust of punsters.

    Crumby puns are not always appreciated.
    One has to proof them first in order to get a rise out of people.
    They knead some esoteric humor.

    Still, they're nothing to be panned.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28

  11. Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Little Malice) said:
    One time on Usenet said:


    "val189" <[email hidden]> wrote

    > I have a huge, 30 gallon Rubbermaid box in my trunk and all grocery
    > bags get 'stood up' in that box. Keeps stuff from dumping and
    > rolling.

    Not in the spirit of the thread, but I was so proud of myself that
    I found canvas shopping bags a couple of weeks ago and so
    annoyed with myself that not once have I remembered to take them
    into the store. Today I had a breakthrough ... only wanted a couple
    things from the store and remembered to bring in a bag.

    What was nice was that, even though what I bought was rather
    heavy, it all fit into one canvas bag and was plenty sturdy to
    carry the load.

    Kroger/Fred Meyer has reusable bags for 99 cents each, which is much
    better than some prices I've seen. I remember them about 80% of the
    time (not too bad) and I get a 5 cent discount per bag...

    Those damned things are around $4.00 each here.

    I think I need to drag out the sewing machine and make a few of my own.

    What impresses me about the ones I get (and probably the other at the
    chains are all the same) is that the handle straps go clear to the bottom and
    are stitched to the bag all the way down.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:

    Robert L Bass wrote:
    >
    > "Blinky the Shark" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    > news:[email hidden]...
    >> Robert L Bass wrote:
    >>>>> Hey, we are bread for this sort of thing.
    >>>>
    >>>> We represent the upper crust of punsters.
    >>>
    >>> That one knocked me on my buns.
    >>
    >> "Buns" was just used. Snipping it doesn't save you. 🙂
    >
    > Dang it. Now I'm toast.

    At last I was upfront with that call, and not rye about it.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263

    At yeast you were honest.

    Damn you. I was about to use "yeast". 😉

    <back to the drawing board>

    I use a bowl instead of a board.
    Gotta get a rise out of this somehow!

    ;-)
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  13. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:

    Omelet wrote:
    > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >> Omelet wrote:
    >> > In article <[email hidden]>,
    >> > Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> Omelet wrote:
    >> >> > In article <[email hidden]>,
    >> >> > Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >> >> >
    >> >> >> > Elephant garlic? I made something the other day that called
    >> >> >> > for
    >> >> >> > elephant
    >> >> >> > garlic, but I couldn't find any. Is it like regular garlic,
    >> >> >> > only
    >> >> >> > bigger?
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> Same thing, but at the store they keep it in a trunk instead of a
    >> >> >> basket...
    >> >>
    >> >> > Boo!!!
    >> >>
    >> >> Hey, I'm on a roll, here...
    >> >>
    >> >> And don't try to tell me rolls are OT for a cooking group. 😉
    >> >
    >> > Never. ;-)
    >> >
    >> > I'm always up for a pun war.
    >> >
    >> > I'm all ears...
    >>
    >> A bun war? I...I...oh, a *pun* war. I guess I didn't switch gears
    >> from
    >> rolls quickly enough. 🙂
    >
    > Hey, we are bread for this sort of thing.

    We represent the upper crust of punsters.

    Crumby puns are not always appreciated.
    One has to proof them first in order to get a rise out of people.
    They knead some esoteric humor.

    Still, they're nothing to be panned.

    --
    Blinky

    Only of you are a loafer.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Little Malice) said:

    One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> said:
    >
    > "val189" <[email hidden]> wrote
    >
    > > I have a huge, 30 gallon Rubbermaid box in my trunk and all grocery
    > > bags get 'stood up' in that box. Keeps stuff from dumping and
    > > rolling.
    >
    > Not in the spirit of the thread, but I was so proud of myself that
    > I found canvas shopping bags a couple of weeks ago and so
    > annoyed with myself that not once have I remembered to take them
    > into the store. Today I had a breakthrough ... only wanted a couple
    > things from the store and remembered to bring in a bag.
    >
    > What was nice was that, even though what I bought was rather
    > heavy, it all fit into one canvas bag and was plenty sturdy to
    > carry the load.

    Kroger/Fred Meyer has reusable bags for 99 cents each, which is much
    better than some prices I've seen. I remember them about 80% of the
    time (not too bad) and I get a 5 cent discount per bag...

    Those damned things are around $4.00 each here.

    I think I need to drag out the sewing machine and make a few of my own.

    What impresses me about the ones I get (and probably the other at the
    chains are all the same) is that the handle straps go clear to the bottom and
    are stitched to the bag all the way down.

    That is a must. Especially for canned goods.

    A good machine can Handle it tho'.

    (Damn! Another pun? And I thought I had the other one in the Bag!)
    Guess I'll have to Canvas the Net for more terms...

    This set is only Sew Sew.
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  15. Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > Omelet wrote:
    > > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > > Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > >
    > >> Omelet wrote:
    > >> > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > >> > Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > >> >
    > >> >> Omelet wrote:
    > >> >> > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > >> >> > Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >> > Elephant garlic? I made something the other day that called
    > >> >> >> > for
    > >> >> >> > elephant
    > >> >> >> > garlic, but I couldn't find any. Is it like regular garlic,
    > >> >> >> > only
    > >> >> >> > bigger?
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> Same thing, but at the store they keep it in a trunk instead of a
    > >> >> >> basket...
    > >> >>
    > >> >> > Boo!!!
    > >> >>
    > >> >> Hey, I'm on a roll, here...
    > >> >>
    > >> >> And don't try to tell me rolls are OT for a cooking group. 😉
    > >> >
    > >> > Never. ;-)
    > >> >
    > >> > I'm always up for a pun war.
    > >> >
    > >> > I'm all ears...
    > >>
    > >> A bun war? I...I...oh, a *pun* war. I guess I didn't switch gears
    > >> from
    > >> rolls quickly enough. 🙂
    > >
    > > Hey, we are bread for this sort of thing.
    >
    > We represent the upper crust of punsters.

    Crumby puns are not always appreciated.
    One has to proof them first in order to get a rise out of people.
    They knead some esoteric humor.

    Still, they're nothing to be panned.

    --
    Blinky

    Only of you are a loafer.

    I don't want to have to call "repeat" (someone already used "loaf"😉 on
    every other post, so I'll quietly drop off, now. Besides, it always
    gets complex when the pun thread branches. People using two or three
    puns per post kind of burns up the possibilities early.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28

  16. Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    [email hidden] (Little Malice) wrote:

    > One time on Usenet, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> said:
    > >
    > > "val189" <[email hidden]> wrote
    > >
    > > > I have a huge, 30 gallon Rubbermaid box in my trunk and all grocery
    > > > bags get 'stood up' in that box. Keeps stuff from dumping and
    > > > rolling.
    > >
    > > Not in the spirit of the thread, but I was so proud of myself that
    > > I found canvas shopping bags a couple of weeks ago and so
    > > annoyed with myself that not once have I remembered to take them
    > > into the store. Today I had a breakthrough ... only wanted a couple
    > > things from the store and remembered to bring in a bag.
    > >
    > > What was nice was that, even though what I bought was rather
    > > heavy, it all fit into one canvas bag and was plenty sturdy to
    > > carry the load.
    >
    > Kroger/Fred Meyer has reusable bags for 99 cents each, which is much
    > better than some prices I've seen. I remember them about 80% of the
    > time (not too bad) and I get a 5 cent discount per bag...

    Those damned things are around $4.00 each here.

    I think I need to drag out the sewing machine and make a few of my own.

    What impresses me about the ones I get (and probably the other at the
    chains are all the same) is that the handle straps go clear to the bottom and
    are stitched to the bag all the way down.

    That is a must. Especially for canned goods.

    Yeppers. And beverages. And when I'm out of the water too long, I get
    really thirsty... 🙂

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org <----------- New Site Aug 28

  17. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:
    Omelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:

    Omelet wrote:
    > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >> Omelet wrote:
    >> > In article <[email hidden]>,
    >> > Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >> >
    >> >> Omelet wrote:
    >> >> > In article <[email hidden]>,
    >> >> > Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >> >> >
    >> >> >> Omelet wrote:
    >> >> >> > In article <[email hidden]>,
    >> >> >> > Blinky the Shark <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >> > Elephant garlic? I made something the other day that called
    >> >> >> >> > for
    >> >> >> >> > elephant
    >> >> >> >> > garlic, but I couldn't find any. Is it like regular garlic,
    >> >> >> >> > only
    >> >> >> >> > bigger?
    >> >> >> >>
    >> >> >> >> Same thing, but at the store they keep it in a trunk instead
    >> >> >> >> of a
    >> >> >> >> basket...
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> > Boo!!!
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> Hey, I'm on a roll, here...
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> And don't try to tell me rolls are OT for a cooking group. 😉
    >> >> >
    >> >> > Never. ;-)
    >> >> >
    >> >> > I'm always up for a pun war.
    >> >> >
    >> >> > I'm all ears...
    >> >>
    >> >> A bun war? I...I...oh, a *pun* war. I guess I didn't switch gears
    >> >> from
    >> >> rolls quickly enough. 🙂
    >> >
    >> > Hey, we are bread for this sort of thing.
    >>
    >> We represent the upper crust of punsters.
    >
    > Crumby puns are not always appreciated.
    > One has to proof them first in order to get a rise out of people.
    > They knead some esoteric humor.

    Still, they're nothing to be panned.

    --
    Blinky

    Only of you are a loafer.

    I don't want to have to call "repeat" (someone already used "loaf"😉 on
    every other post, so I'll quietly drop off, now. Besides, it always
    gets complex when the pun thread branches. People using two or three
    puns per post kind of burns up the possibilities early.

    Oops. It's one reason why in pun wars I don't snip the upper levels even
    tho' it makes for a long post. One can lose track of the words used,
    sorry! :-)

    Ideas can Bake a long time and get a bit Stale after a Bite. ;-)
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  18. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Blinky the Shark said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > I think I need to drag out the sewing machine and make a few of my own.

    What impresses me about the ones I get (and probably the other at the
    chains are all the same) is that the handle straps go clear to the bottom
    and
    are stitched to the bag all the way down.

    That is a must. Especially for canned goods.

    Yeppers. And beverages. And when I'm out of the water too long, I get
    really thirsty... 🙂

    --
    Blinky

    Coward. ;-) The Fabric of Pun-dom is a complicated Weave!

    You are all Wet!
    --
    Peace, Om

    Remove _ to validate e-mails.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a [censored]" -- Jack Nicholson

  19. One time on Usenet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    (Little Malice) said:
    One time on Usenet said:


    "val189" <[email hidden]> wrote

    > I have a huge, 30 gallon Rubbermaid box in my trunk and all grocery
    > bags get 'stood up' in that box. Keeps stuff from dumping and
    > rolling.

    Not in the spirit of the thread, but I was so proud of myself that
    I found canvas shopping bags a couple of weeks ago and so
    annoyed with myself that not once have I remembered to take them
    into the store. Today I had a breakthrough ... only wanted a couple
    things from the store and remembered to bring in a bag.

    What was nice was that, even though what I bought was rather
    heavy, it all fit into one canvas bag and was plenty sturdy to
    carry the load.

    Kroger/Fred Meyer has reusable bags for 99 cents each, which is much
    better than some prices I've seen. I remember them about 80% of the
    time (not too bad) and I get a 5 cent discount per bag...

    Those damned things are around $4.00 each here.

    I think I need to drag out the sewing machine and make a few of my own.

    If I were the sewing kind, that's what I'd do. Unfortunately, sewing
    makes me [more?] nuts...

    --
    Jani in WA

  20. Nancy Young said:

    <sf> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    On Mon, 3 Sep 2007 15:52:28 -0400, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>
    wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Not in the spirit of the thread, but I was so proud of myself that
    I found canvas shopping bags a couple of weeks ago and so
    What was nice was that, even though what I bought was rather
    heavy, it all fit into one canvas bag and was plenty sturdy to
    carry the load.

    Quoted message said:

    Hopefully those bags will become more common in the near future.
    Maybe even sold in grocery stores.

    I've been keeping an eye out for canvas bags, they were always
    more than I was interested in spending. $10 and up, apiece.

    A friend works for a carpet place, he gave me a coupla of the bags
    they give to customers to take home sample carpet squares and tile
    in...

    These are black nylon and they are TOUGH, very well -
    constructed...they have heavily reinforced straps, and also a square
    bottom. Also a side pocket to put stuff in. Makes for PERFECT
    grocery shopping, etc. bags, I bet I've carried 50 lbs in each one, no
    probs at all...to clean I just put them in the shower when I take one,
    they dry quickly, all nylon construction. The side pocket you can put
    pens, paper, tissues, handiwipes, etc. in, You're all set...

    They do have the (discreet) company logo on the side flap part,
    someone at Walgreeen's once asked me, "Oh, do you work for Peerless
    Rug?". Lol...

    The other day I saw the same bag, a different logo. These are I bet
    also given out at trade shows for attendees to put literature,
    samples, etc. in...maybe stop by a local flooring place and see if
    they have some,

    But so far they are INDESTRUCTIBLE...search around, I bet you can find
    some for cheap or free. I guess they are called "sample bags"...maybe
    google that term?

    Quoted message said:

    Then I went to a fabric store to buy cloth for a different project and
    decided to look for sturdy material to sew up bags myself. Also
    I needed a box to mail the TPR to Christine. In looking for the box
    I came across a set of 3 canvas bags for something like $8. Hello.

    Those fabric stores, never know what you'll find there.

    I like fabric/hobby/craft stores almost as much as hardware stores...

    Quoted message said:

    But I wondered why the supermarket isn't selling them for cost.
    Thought to email them about it, but I never did.

    Ny local store (Chicago), Treasure Island, used to sell nice heavy
    cotton shopping bags, had a stylish old French etching of Napoleon on
    the side. They still have nice heavy plastic shopping bags (double
    handled), dunno why with all the "bag hoopla" the cloth ones haven't
    been available. Especially since a Whole Foods just opened a coupla
    blocks away...

    --
    Best
    Greg

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.