Unbelievably tight bottom bracket

> "Vee" wrote:
>
> > >If it doesn't shift tomorrow morning I'll take it
> >>over to my parents' house, where my father has a proper vice

> > A proper vice should either free the cup or rip the threads out of the
> > bb shell. In extreme cases, you need 2 or 3 stout fellows with a
> > mighty vice.

> Vise! Come on guys, it's a vise, not a vice.

That depends on how, and how often, you use it. ;-)

Rick

Rather than WD-40, get a better penetrating oil. I use Liquid Wrench,
but I'm sure there are better ones out there.

Since you have the bike on its side and one cup out, pour some down
through that side as well. Occasionally, whack the BB axle with a heavy
mallet.

I have a feeling a shop will do this a while, then put it in a vice and
get a couple of guys to turn it...

(Last resort, and hopefully with your permission, they'll take a profane
torch and get it all really hot. That sometimes gets it loose.)

Dan Daniel wrote:

> Had this problem recently. The BB was shot so I didn't need to worry
> about re-using it.
>
> I am not certain what part of my destruction process finally freed up
> the cup, but I took a cold chisel to the bearing surrounding the axle
> and a Dremel cut-off wheel to the same area, hopping to break the
> unit. In a moment of exhaustion, I decided to give the removal tool a
> quick try, and the whole thing came out very easily.
>
> I figure that the pounding and grinding vibrated things enough to
> loosen the corrosion. So that'd be my suggestion- just support the
> frame in ways that won't cause any bending and pound on the BB for a
> bit.

The LBS got it out in 5 minutes, apparently. 20UKP for removing it,
tapping and facing the shell - ouch.