Unbelieveable Knifing Pains! HELP!!

Ssushi

Mar 21, 2003
I have a serious Epic race in 5 days and over the WE have deveped incredible pains in my quads.

Mainly when i get on a bike (city slow riding). The pains are in both legs, outside of left leg, inside of right leg. The pain is mainly lower quads toward the knee and can travel through the knee and sometime flash to the shin.

It's so intense that I physically screw my face up at the pain.

If it continues I'll go to the Dr tom, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas - stretching etc...

Please help me out on this one guys - My buddy and I have invested 6 months of hard work into this race and I have to get this sorted!

Any ideas?

It originated (mildly) after i picked up a bag and walked with it. Walking is no longer a problem, riding it.

Thanks for all advice!!!!!!!

Ssushi

Ssushi said:
I have a serious Epic race in 5 days and over the WE have deveped incredible pains in my quads.

Mainly when i get on a bike (city slow riding). The pains are in both legs, outside of left leg, inside of right leg. The pain is mainly lower quads toward the knee and can travel through the knee and sometime flash to the shin.

It's so intense that I physically screw my face up at the pain.

If it continues I'll go to the Dr tom, but I wondered if anyone had any ideas - stretching etc...

Please help me out on this one guys - My buddy and I have invested 6 months of hard work into this race and I have to get this sorted!

Any ideas?

It originated (mildly) after i picked up a bag and walked with it. Walking is no longer a problem, riding it.

Thanks for all advice!!!!!!!

Ssushi
It sounds to me like an overuse injury, but that's just my layman's opinion. FWIW, I had a similar experience long time ago (1990?). It was quite painful and I walked with a limp for couple of days. It turned out to be an overuse injury of the iliotibial band exacerbated by the use Sampson pedals (no lateral rotation of the foot). Deep tissue professional massage did wonders and after changing to better pedals the problem never came back. The key word is "professional". Good luck.

Piotr said:
It sounds to me like an overuse injury, but that's just my layman's opinion. FWIW, I had a similar experience long time ago (1990?). It was quite painful and I walked with a limp for couple of days. It turned out to be an overuse injury of the iliotibial band exacerbated by the use Sampson pedals (no lateral rotation of the foot). Deep tissue professional massage did wonders and after changing to better pedals the problem never came back. The key word is "professional". Good luck.
So there is a happy ending... but not 'that' kind of happy ending to the massage. ;)

I had a similar situation with the orignal Look pedals.... Try some ice and anti-inflamitorys and put your feet up for a couple of days (as much as you can). A visit to somewhere that deals with sports injuries would be a good idea too - as Piotr already pointed out.

FWIW. If it's tendonitis, then you'll have to be a spectator.