Unbending a chainring?

Kingsley

Guest
Any ideas on how to unbend a chainring (with a non-removable crank)
without totally wrecking it?

It's got about a 6cm slice of the edge that is a little bent, just
enough to send the chain off every few revolutions. The teeth are
ok, the bend is deeper than that.

I figured on putting it in the bench-vice and trying to bend
it back by hand... or belt the living daylights out of it
with the lump hammer.

cheers,
-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
(mailto: [email protected])

Kingsley said:
Any ideas on how to unbend a chainring (with a non-removable crank)
without totally wrecking it?

It's got about a 6cm slice of the edge that is a little bent, just
enough to send the chain off every few revolutions. The teeth are
ok, the bend is deeper than that.

I figured on putting it in the bench-vice and trying to bend
it back by hand... or belt the living daylights out of it
with the lump hammer.

cheers,
-kt

--
Kingsley Turner,
(mailto: [email protected])
http://MadDogsBreakfast.com/ABFAQ - news:aus.bicycle Frequenly Asked Questions

Is it aluminium or steel?

Kingsley said:
Any ideas on how to unbend a chainring (with a non-removable crank)
without totally wrecking it?

cheers,
-kt

Large adjustable spanner - hoik!

Pete

Kingsley wrote:
> Any ideas on how to unbend a chainring (with a non-removable crank)
> without totally wrecking it?

> I figured on putting it in the bench-vice and trying to bend
> it back by hand...

The way to go. It should bend back quite easily.

Theo

kingsley wrote:
> Steel.
> Very, very cheap steel.

Then it is unlikely to fracture when you straighten it out. Stick it in a
decent vice and lean on it a bit.

Theo