unbreakable chain. grrr

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
picked up a sweet PERKINS frame, complete with DA and Shimano600 bits in hard rubbish last weekend (it never made it to the guy's nature strip. i happened along as he was wheeling it out of his shed!!!)

the chain is un-useable but none of my current 3 chainbreakers' slots seem deep enuff to allow the chain to sit low enought to get the screwy-pin thing to meet up with the chain ins to punch one out.

Apart from going 'prehistoric' at it with something big, heavy and blunt
are there 'other' chain breakers that may be compatible with it?

no cluster present and pre-indexing shifters so guessing 6-7spd chain???

Flying"smash-bang"Dutch

flyingdutch wrote:
> picked up a sweet PERKINS frame, complete with DA and Shimano600 bits in
> hard rubbish last weekend (it never made it to the guy's nature strip. i
> happened along as he was wheeling it out of his shed!!!)
>
> the chain is un-useable but none of my current 3 chainbreakers' slots
> seem deep enuff to allow the chain to sit low enought to get the
> screwy-pin thing to meet up with the chain ins to punch one out.
>
> Apart from going 'prehistoric' at it with something big, heavy and
> blunt
> are there 'other' chain breakers that may be compatible with it?
>
> no cluster present and pre-indexing shifters so guessing 6-7spd
> chain???
>
> Flying"smash-bang"Dutch

hacksaw mate ;)

In aus.bicycle on Fri, 18 Aug 2006 06:55:15 +1000
flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote:

> Apart from going 'prehistoric' at it with something big, heavy and
> blunt
> are there 'other' chain breakers that may be compatible with it?

Borrow an angle grinder.

Either chop the chain, or grind the pin head and then hit it with a
needle punch.

Zebee

flyingdutch wrote:
> picked up a sweet PERKINS frame, complete with DA and Shimano600 bits in
> hard rubbish last weekend (it never made it to the guy's nature strip. i
> happened along as he was wheeling it out of his shed!!!)
>
> the chain is un-useable but none of my current 3 chainbreakers' slots
> seem deep enuff to allow the chain to sit low enought to get the
> screwy-pin thing to meet up with the chain ins to punch one out.
>
> Apart from going 'prehistoric' at it with something big, heavy and
> blunt
> are there 'other' chain breakers that may be compatible with it?
>
> no cluster present and pre-indexing shifters so guessing 6-7spd
> chain???
>
> Flying"smash-bang"Dutch

Come on Dutchy, how often do you get the opportunity to be totally
brutal on bike parts. Big hammer, cold chisel (no not the band), hit hard.

BTW do you still ride or do you just pick up spare bikes and sit at
registration desks (runs away real fast, knowing FD can't run).

DaveB

flyingdutch said:
Apart from going 'prehistoric' at it with something big, heavy and blunt
are there 'other' chain breakers that may be compatible with it?

it's far from prehistoric..... it's called a dremel tool...

flyingdutch said:
picked up a sweet PERKINS frame, complete with DA and Shimano600 bits in hard rubbish last weekend (it never made it to the guy's nature strip. i happened along as he was wheeling it out of his shed!!!)

the chain is un-useable but none of my current 3 chainbreakers' slots seem deep enuff to allow the chain to sit low enought to get the screwy-pin thing to meet up with the chain ins to punch one out.

Apart from going 'prehistoric' at it with something big, heavy and blunt
are there 'other' chain breakers that may be compatible with it?

no cluster present and pre-indexing shifters so guessing 6-7spd chain???

Flying"smash-bang"Dutch

I've used a blockspitter on my last 4 hard rubbish bike chains with good results
:D

fun too...

flyingdutch said:
picked up a sweet PERKINS frame, complete with DA and Shimano600 bits in hard rubbish last weekend (it never made it to the guy's nature strip. i happened along as he was wheeling it out of his shed!!!)

the chain is un-useable but none of my current 3 chainbreakers' slots seem deep enuff to allow the chain to sit low enought to get the screwy-pin thing to meet up with the chain ins to punch one out.

Apart from going 'prehistoric' at it with something big, heavy and blunt
are there 'other' chain breakers that may be compatible with it?

no cluster present and pre-indexing shifters so guessing 6-7spd chain???

Flying"smash-bang"Dutch
Angle grinder.... not only effective, but fun to play with as well (you can cut every link in the chain for maximum destruction.....)

DaveB wrote:

> Come on Dutchy, how often do you get the opportunity to be totally
> brutal on bike parts. Big hammer, cold chisel (no not the band), hit hard.

Oh come on, why not the band ?

Big Hammer -> Barnsey -> Bike Chain... apply force.

Sounds good to me :)

DaveB wrote:
> registration desks (runs away real fast, knowing FD can't run).

And just to show running is cycling related. Just got back from a run
where I spotted and grabbed a 50cm (perfect for me) steel frame road
bike, horizontal dropouts, and best of all ... SUICIDE LEVERS (man that
takes me back to my first road bike).

DaveN

flyingdutch said:
picked up a sweet PERKINS frame, complete with DA and Shimano600 bits in hard rubbish last weekend (it never made it to the guy's nature strip. i happened along as he was wheeling it out of his shed!!!)

the chain is un-useable but none of my current 3 chainbreakers' slots seem deep enuff to allow the chain to sit low enought to get the screwy-pin thing to meet up with the chain ins to punch one out.

Apart from going 'prehistoric' at it with something big, heavy and blunt
are there 'other' chain breakers that may be compatible with it?

no cluster present and pre-indexing shifters so guessing 6-7spd chain???

Flying"smash-bang"Dutch
Bolt cutters are your friend

On 2006-08-18, DaveB <[email protected]> wrote:
> And just to show running is cycling related. Just got back from a run
> where I spotted and grabbed a 50cm (perfect for me) steel frame road
> bike, horizontal dropouts, and best of all ... SUICIDE LEVERS (man that
> takes me back to my first road bike).

Snap! Yours sounds exactly like the one I picked up on the weekend,
down to the 50cm frame. Is yours pink? I think mine was set up for a
lady - short stem, 165cm cranks, narrow (from side to side) drop bars.

I noticed it on the footpath on the way back from our Sunday BUG ride,
and went back later with the car and grabbed it.

It's got everything but the seat and seatpost, but has lots of rust on
the moving bits. It'll take a bit of elbow grease and steel wool to get
it on the road.

--
John
"A pint!? Why, that's very nearly an armful!"