Uncle Tobys - Thanks for the energies...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by gplama, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    o/t... but I assume most of us eat (ate) these things....

    Their 'relaunched' Muesli Bar range has gone from 8 to 6 bars - thats right - a 25% weight saving for the same price!... Oh... hang on..

    I guess someone has to lose out with them paying some high profile swimming star to toss off over the product on the back of the package.. I've let them know what I think about that! grrrrrrrr

    grrrrrrrrss,
    GPL

    Tags:

  2. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    warning. Fat-lama sighted :rolleyes:

  3. Shabby

    Shabby New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 13, 2003
    Now I'm starting to wonder about Michael Klim's and Kierin Perkin's milk products.........

  4. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    pfftaaa.. I'm about 2kgs off my lightest weight.. and its all on the legs.. ph33r my speed! :)

    I guess that'll be going now UT have jibbed us on value... :(

    OlsenLama

  5. On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:24:40 +1100, gplama wrote:

    > Their 'relaunched' Muesli Bar range has gone from 8 to 6 bars - thats
    > right - a 25% weight saving for the same price!... Oh... hang on..

    That's unfair. You'd be impressed if any other bike part suddenly
    weighed 25% less for the same price, wouldn't you?

  6. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Only if they made their muesli bars out of carbon fibre and titanium.

    SteveA

  7. essendon93

    essendon93 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2004
    You've got to be friggin kidding, thats part of my staple riding diet....not happy Jan

  8. gplama

    gplama Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    May 16, 2004
    Messages:
    7,817
    update... beep de ddee beeepp... I have email dialog with UT customer care.. I will report the outcome... Fingers crossed they send me a lifetime supply.... :)

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    eat the wrapper. should equate to the awol 25%...

  10. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    gplama wrote:

    > o/t... but I assume most of us eat (ate) these things....
    >
    > Their 'relaunched' Muesli Bar range has gone from 8 to 6 bars - thats
    > right - a 25% weight saving for the same price!... Oh... hang on..
    >
    > I guess someone has to lose out with them paying some high profile
    > swimming star to toss off over the product on the back of the package..
    > I've let them know what I think about that! grrrrrrrr
    >
    > grrrrrrrrss,
    > GPL
    >
    > --
    > gplama

    Bad move, UT. Perhaps now is the time to start making our own bars
    (awesome recipes online) or convert to Carman's original muesli
    breakfast bars or classic fruit breakfast bars. See
    www.carmansfinefoods.com.au

    Tam*my muesli bars come in a green wrapper...*

  11. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Can anyone share a fantastic muesli bar recipe?
    Bicycling Australia (current or penultimate issue) had a recipe for
    'Century Cake' which I've been meaning to try.

    Donga

  12. alison_b

    alison_b New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 24, 2005
    This one is from "Super Vegetarian Dishes" by Vikki the Vego. The book is about 20 years old, and this has been a favourite for all of those decades :) It holds together well (ie. doesn't fall to bits while pedalling) and can be varied to fit whatever personal tastes/what is in the cupboard that you like.

    1 cup each of: rolled oats, dessicated coconut (or other ground nuts - I often use almond, but anything will do), wholemeal self raising flour (half of this can be substituted with carob *shudder* if you like that sort of thing), mixed dried fruits.

    1/4 cup each of sesame seeds and sunflower seeds (or, again, whatever you would prefer)

    1/2 cup each of melted butter and honey

    either a squeeze of orange or lemon juice, or grate an apple

    1/2 cup of either milk, buttermilk, or yoghurt (a little more if it is looking a bit crumbly in the bowl)

    Mix the dry ingredients; add the rest in order above. Bake at around 190C (lower if the oven is fan-forced - but the recipe predates such fancy stuff) until golden brown (about 25 minutes). Cool in tin and then cut into what size you like.

    enjoy :)

    ali

  13. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963
    We briefly considered making bread/muesli out of the mash leftover from the latest batch of stout. Too many husks, so it went to the worm farm.

  14. HughMann

    HughMann New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2004
    Well try my invention. A combo of recipes and a process of evolution over a couple of years. Apparently "Malt Bread" is an English habbit unknown to us downunder.

    MALT BREAD

    This is a no-need-to-knead loaf and full of slow malt sugars.

    Ingredients

    150ml Dried Malt Powder
    250ml tepid water
    1 sachet dried bread yeast
    400g plain flour
    1/2 tsp salt

    Extra water as required

    Method

    Combine Malt Powder and tepid water to a total volume of 400ml.
    Add yeast and allow to prove in a warm place until it becomes foamy, about 20 minutes .
    Into a large, mixing bowl sift plain flour and salt, mix well.
    Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and stir to make a thick batter.
    Add extra water as required.
    Oil baking tin. Pour in the batter mixture, making sure it only comes halfway up the tin.
    Cover with a damp tea towel and allow to prove for one hour or until it fills the tin.
    Bake in the oven at about 180c for about 50-55 minutes.
    Allow to cool before slicing. An electric knife works best as the bread is moist and will crumble if a blunt knife is used.

    For variety add some sultanas and chopped nuts or, add 1/2 cup rough chopped walnuts, 1 tbsp pepitas, 1 tsp fresh ground caraway seeds and extra whole caraway seeds to sprinkle on top.

    The batter can be made late evening, pour into tin to half fill, cover with plastic film, put straight into fridge to prove slowly overnight, in morning remove film and bake as normal. Be careful that the batter doesnt overflow in the fridge - very messy. After the batter has proved in the tin it will not rise much more in the oven.

    Malt Powder can be bought from "Home Brew" shops for about $1.80 for 250g. Pale Malt varieties should be tried first as the heavier roasted malt styles intended for making dark beer or Stout can be very strong in flavour.
    Malt syrup can be used instead but any left over portion needs to be used immediately as it will quickly be infested by wild yeast and go off.

    Jam sangas --- yum

    Hugh

  15. SuzieB

    SuzieB New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 15, 2005
    Euan and I like Fruity Breakfast Bars from Calorie King - http://tinyurl.com/etpmeRecipe and nutritional info on the webpage linked. Great for carrying in the back pocket of a jersey. I am much happier to make food than buy stuff with lots of preservatives and additives. :)

  16. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Thankyou Ali and Hugh for the recipes. I'll try to get the kids
    motivated for some mess-making this weekend!!

    Donga

  17. In aus.bicycle on Wed, 08 Mar 2006 13:59:47 +1000
    Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Bad move, UT. Perhaps now is the time to start making our own bars
    > (awesome recipes online) or convert to Carman's original muesli
    > breakfast bars or classic fruit breakfast bars. See
    > www.carmansfinefoods.com.au

    I have made oatmeal bars for a while, I have no idea if they'd be
    suitable cycling food but they are damn good normal snacks:

    3 cups quick cook oats
    3/4 cup sultanas and 3/4 cup chopped dried apricots (or 1.5 cups of
    whatever dried fruit you feel like in whatever proportions you like,
    chopped dates instead of sultanas works well)
    1 cup or so of apple sauce - I use a 250g bottle of three threes
    brand.
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/4 teaspoon cloves
    1 Tablespoon sugar

    mix the oats, cinnamon, and cloves.
    Add in the fruit and applesauce and mix well so all the oats are
    dampened.
    spread in an 8"x13" or so non-stick pan, if you don't have a non-stick
    then a lightly greased normal one. Pat into bar thickness.

    sprinkle the sugar on top.

    Cook for around 50-60 minutes in a 175C oven.

    Cut into 1 to 2" squares (bigger bars don't really work) while still hot,
    and leave to cool.

    recut when cool.

    Zebee

  18. Plodder

    Plodder Guest

    --
    Frank
    [email protected]
    "SteveA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Michael Warner Wrote:
    > > On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:24:40 +1100, gplama wrote:
    > >
    > > > Their 'relaunched' Muesli Bar range has gone from 8 to 6 bars - thats
    > > > right - a 25% weight saving for the same price!... Oh... hang on..

    > > That's unfair. You'd be impressed if any other bike part suddenly
    > > weighed 25% less for the same price, wouldn't you?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw

    > Only if they made their muesli bars out of carbon fibre and titanium.
    >
    > SteveA

    I think they do - or at least it tastes like it...

    me

  19. SteveA

    SteveA New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    Messages:
    1,309
    Would Anzac bickies count? Could make them in a bar shape if that would help?

    SteveA

  20. Tamyka Bell

    Tamyka Bell Guest

    SteveA wrote:

    > Would Anzac bickies count? Could make them in a bar shape if that would
    > help?
    >
    > SteveA
    >
    > --
    > SteveA

    I know lots of cyclists who swear by them. I couldn't eat them running
    though...

    Tam