Uncle Tobys - Thanks for the energies...

gplama

Well-Known Member
May 16, 2004
7,822
Melbourne. Sometimes.
o/t... but I assume most of us eat (ate) these things....

Their 'relaunched' Muesli Bar range has gone from 8 to 6 bars - thats right - a 25% weight saving for the same price!... Oh... hang on..

I guess someone has to lose out with them paying some high profile swimming star to toss off over the product on the back of the package.. I've let them know what I think about that! grrrrrrrr

grrrrrrrrss,
GPL

gplama said:
o/t... but I assume most of us eat (ate) these things....

Their 'relaunched' Muesli Bar range has gone from 8 to 6 bars - thats right - a 25% weight saving for the same price!... Oh... hang on..

I guess someone has to lose out with them paying some high profile swimming star to toss off over the product on the back of the package.. I've let them know what I think about that! grrrrrrrr

grrrrrrrrss,
GPL

warning. Fat-lama sighted :rolleyes:

gplama said:
I guess someone has to lose out with them paying some high profile swimming star to toss off over the product on the back of the package..
Now I'm starting to wonder about Michael Klim's and Kierin Perkin's milk products.........

On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:24:40 +1100, gplama wrote:

> Their 'relaunched' Muesli Bar range has gone from 8 to 6 bars - thats
> right - a 25% weight saving for the same price!... Oh... hang on..

That's unfair. You'd be impressed if any other bike part suddenly
weighed 25% less for the same price, wouldn't you?

Michael Warner said:
On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:24:40 +1100, gplama wrote:

> Their 'relaunched' Muesli Bar range has gone from 8 to 6 bars - thats
> right - a 25% weight saving for the same price!... Oh... hang on..

That's unfair. You'd be impressed if any other bike part suddenly
weighed 25% less for the same price, wouldn't you?

Only if they made their muesli bars out of carbon fibre and titanium.

SteveA

gplama said:
o/t... but I assume most of us eat (ate) these things....

Their 'relaunched' Muesli Bar range has gone from 8 to 6 bars - thats right - a 25% weight saving for the same price!... Oh... hang on..

I guess someone has to lose out with them paying some high profile swimming star to toss off over the product on the back of the package.. I've let them know what I think about that! grrrrrrrr

grrrrrrrrss,
GPL
You've got to be friggin kidding, thats part of my staple riding diet....not happy Jan

update... beep de ddee beeepp... I have email dialog with UT customer care.. I will report the outcome... Fingers crossed they send me a lifetime supply.... :)

gplama wrote:

> o/t... but I assume most of us eat (ate) these things....
>
> Their 'relaunched' Muesli Bar range has gone from 8 to 6 bars - thats
> right - a 25% weight saving for the same price!... Oh... hang on..
>
> I guess someone has to lose out with them paying some high profile
> swimming star to toss off over the product on the back of the package..
> I've let them know what I think about that! grrrrrrrr
>
> grrrrrrrrss,
> GPL
>
> --
> gplama

Bad move, UT. Perhaps now is the time to start making our own bars
(awesome recipes online) or convert to Carman's original muesli
breakfast bars or classic fruit breakfast bars. See
www.carmansfinefoods.com.au

Tam*my muesli bars come in a green wrapper...*

Can anyone share a fantastic muesli bar recipe?
Bicycling Australia (current or penultimate issue) had a recipe for
'Century Cake' which I've been meaning to try.

Donga

Donga said:
Can anyone share a fantastic muesli bar recipe?
Bicycling Australia (current or penultimate issue) had a recipe for
'Century Cake' which I've been meaning to try.

Donga
This one is from "Super Vegetarian Dishes" by Vikki the Vego. The book is about 20 years old, and this has been a favourite for all of those decades :) It holds together well (ie. doesn't fall to bits while pedalling) and can be varied to fit whatever personal tastes/what is in the cupboard that you like.

1 cup each of: rolled oats, dessicated coconut (or other ground nuts - I often use almond, but anything will do), wholemeal self raising flour (half of this can be substituted with carob *shudder* if you like that sort of thing), mixed dried fruits.

1/4 cup each of sesame seeds and sunflower seeds (or, again, whatever you would prefer)

1/2 cup each of melted butter and honey

either a squeeze of orange or lemon juice, or grate an apple

1/2 cup of either milk, buttermilk, or yoghurt (a little more if it is looking a bit crumbly in the bowl)

Mix the dry ingredients; add the rest in order above. Bake at around 190C (lower if the oven is fan-forced - but the recipe predates such fancy stuff) until golden brown (about 25 minutes). Cool in tin and then cut into what size you like.

enjoy :)

ali

Tamyka Bell said:
Bad move, UT. Perhaps now is the time to start making our own bars
(awesome recipes online) or convert to Carman's original muesli
breakfast bars or classic fruit breakfast bars. See
www.carmansfinefoods.com.au

Tam*my muesli bars come in a green wrapper...*

We briefly considered making bread/muesli out of the mash leftover from the latest batch of stout. Too many husks, so it went to the worm farm.

cfsmtb said:
We briefly considered making bread/muesli out of the mash leftover from the latest batch of stout. Too many husks, so it went to the worm farm.

Well try my invention. A combo of recipes and a process of evolution over a couple of years. Apparently "Malt Bread" is an English habbit unknown to us downunder.

MALT BREAD

This is a no-need-to-knead loaf and full of slow malt sugars.

Ingredients

150ml Dried Malt Powder
250ml tepid water
1 sachet dried bread yeast
400g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt

Extra water as required

Method

Combine Malt Powder and tepid water to a total volume of 400ml.
Add yeast and allow to prove in a warm place until it becomes foamy, about 20 minutes .
Into a large, mixing bowl sift plain flour and salt, mix well.
Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture and stir to make a thick batter.
Add extra water as required.
Oil baking tin. Pour in the batter mixture, making sure it only comes halfway up the tin.
Cover with a damp tea towel and allow to prove for one hour or until it fills the tin.
Bake in the oven at about 180c for about 50-55 minutes.
Allow to cool before slicing. An electric knife works best as the bread is moist and will crumble if a blunt knife is used.

For variety add some sultanas and chopped nuts or, add 1/2 cup rough chopped walnuts, 1 tbsp pepitas, 1 tsp fresh ground caraway seeds and extra whole caraway seeds to sprinkle on top.

The batter can be made late evening, pour into tin to half fill, cover with plastic film, put straight into fridge to prove slowly overnight, in morning remove film and bake as normal. Be careful that the batter doesnt overflow in the fridge - very messy. After the batter has proved in the tin it will not rise much more in the oven.

Malt Powder can be bought from "Home Brew" shops for about $1.80 for 250g. Pale Malt varieties should be tried first as the heavier roasted malt styles intended for making dark beer or Stout can be very strong in flavour.
Malt syrup can be used instead but any left over portion needs to be used immediately as it will quickly be infested by wild yeast and go off.

Jam sangas --- yum

Hugh

Euan and I like Fruity Breakfast Bars from Calorie King - http://tinyurl.com/etpmeRecipe and nutritional info on the webpage linked. Great for carrying in the back pocket of a jersey. I am much happier to make food than buy stuff with lots of preservatives and additives. :)

Thankyou Ali and Hugh for the recipes. I'll try to get the kids
motivated for some mess-making this weekend!!

Donga

In aus.bicycle on Wed, 08 Mar 2006 13:59:47 +1000
Tamyka Bell <[email protected]> wrote:
> Bad move, UT. Perhaps now is the time to start making our own bars
> (awesome recipes online) or convert to Carman's original muesli
> breakfast bars or classic fruit breakfast bars. See
> www.carmansfinefoods.com.au

I have made oatmeal bars for a while, I have no idea if they'd be
suitable cycling food but they are damn good normal snacks:

3 cups quick cook oats
3/4 cup sultanas and 3/4 cup chopped dried apricots (or 1.5 cups of
whatever dried fruit you feel like in whatever proportions you like,
chopped dates instead of sultanas works well)
1 cup or so of apple sauce - I use a 250g bottle of three threes
brand.
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cloves
1 Tablespoon sugar

mix the oats, cinnamon, and cloves.
Add in the fruit and applesauce and mix well so all the oats are
dampened.
spread in an 8"x13" or so non-stick pan, if you don't have a non-stick
then a lightly greased normal one. Pat into bar thickness.

sprinkle the sugar on top.

Cook for around 50-60 minutes in a 175C oven.

Cut into 1 to 2" squares (bigger bars don't really work) while still hot,
and leave to cool.

recut when cool.

Zebee

--
Frank
[email protected]
"SteveA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Michael Warner Wrote:
> > On Wed, 8 Mar 2006 09:24:40 +1100, gplama wrote:
> >
> > > Their 'relaunched' Muesli Bar range has gone from 8 to 6 bars - thats
> > > right - a 25% weight saving for the same price!... Oh... hang on..

> > That's unfair. You'd be impressed if any other bike part suddenly
> > weighed 25% less for the same price, wouldn't you?
> >
> > --
> > Home page: http://members.westnet.com.au/mvw

> Only if they made their muesli bars out of carbon fibre and titanium.
>
> SteveA

I think they do - or at least it tastes like it...

me

Would Anzac bickies count? Could make them in a bar shape if that would help?

SteveA

SteveA wrote:

> Would Anzac bickies count? Could make them in a bar shape if that would
> help?
>
> SteveA
>
> --
> SteveA

I know lots of cyclists who swear by them. I couldn't eat them running
though...

Tam