Uncle Tobys - Thanks for the energies...

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by gplama, Mar 7, 2006.

  1. Dancier

    Dancier New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2005
    Just go down to your local NQR store and buy some cheap bars thier. The Boronia store seems to have a fair range most weeks. Their is a place opposite the main shopping centre in Oakleigh that has quiet a good range of bars from time to time. I bought a box of 20 Uncle Toby's fruit filled bars for $5 dollars last week. Last year they had the marathon bars for the same price.

  2. Donga

    Donga Guest

    I took the easy way out, and bought a 'Coles' brand mix for muesli bars
    (next to the packet muffins and cakes) for $2.99. It made about 18 bars
    that taste pretty good (I haven't tested it on the kids yet!). I
    suppose that's about double the quantity for about 3/4 the price of the
    packaged bars - but rather messier to carry in a jersey pocket, so not
    really worth it for that application. More use for the lunchbox.

    Donga

  3. Donga

    Donga Guest

    What a crack-up! I emailed Uncle Toby's and told them they were scungy
    and I wasn't buying my weekly supply any more. Today in the mail came a
    free gift of a lunchbox, six muesli bars and a $5 voucher. How did you
    go, GPL?

    Donga

  4. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2004

    Aah.. Uncle Toby's must have been following the lead of Walkers Crisps over in old blighty. They trot out their elite soccer players to promote their crisps and proudly tell you how they havent raised the price of their packets in years. This is because they simply reduce the quantity. Its normally only 5 grams so that you dont notice the change in packet size. Have toby's change the box shape or packet design as well so that you didnt notice there were less?

  5. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Coowoowoo:
    >Have toby's change the box shape or packet design as well so that you didnt notice there were less?

    Yes, first the shelves were empty, then a smaller, redesigned box that
    is so light you could eat the whole thing plus cardboard in a good long
    ride.

    Donga

  6. coowoowoo

    coowoowoo New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 27, 2004
    Swines.. they must think that the average consumer is stupid. You may well get more nutrition if you eat the box.

  7. Donga

    Donga Guest

    Coowoowoo:
    >Swines.. they must think that the average consumer is stupid.

    Their letter said they had done market research. It fits with my
    observations!

  8. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    Donga wrote:
    > What a crack-up! I emailed Uncle Toby's and told them they were scungy
    > and I wasn't buying my weekly supply any more. Today in the mail came a
    > free gift of a lunchbox, six muesli bars and a $5 voucher. How did you
    > go, GPL?
    >
    > Donga

    My daughter got a similar response when she complained they stopped
    making her favourite porridge flavour.

    DaveB

  9. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    have used this one heaps and they are great...not sure where it came from but its called "Frank's Secret Family Recipe Energy Bars"

    so thanks Frank's secret family !
    • 3 Cups uncooked oatmeal
    • 1 cup of dried mixed fruit, choc chips, fruit bits or fave ingredient
    • 3/4 cup of brown sugar or molasses
    • 1 cup Honey
    • 8 ounces (ok 250gs) non fat vanilla yoghurt
    • 1 cup of apple sauce ( secret ingredient?)
    • 2 egg whites lightly beaten
    • 2 tablespoons skim milk
    • 2 teaspoons vanilla
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    Combine ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Spread out in a lightly greased baking pan and bake 350 F for 28-30mins

    Let cool and slice, wrap in grease proof paper ( easier to unwrap on a ride than plas film)
    Adjust sugar to reflect how you want to use the bars.

    eg: post ride carb replacement use glucose (highGI) as the primary sugar instead of Honey brown sugar and molasses. for a recovery bar add some protein powder in a 1:4 ratio to sugars/carbs.

    Enjoy !! I never seem to make enough as everyone on my rides always wants them and I miss out...ah such generosity...humble too!!

  10. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-03-28, DaveB (aka Bruce)
    > Donga wrote:
    >> What a crack-up! I emailed Uncle Toby's and told them they were scungy
    >> and I wasn't buying my weekly supply any more. Today in the mail came a
    >> free gift of a lunchbox, six muesli bars and a $5 voucher. How did you
    >> go, GPL?

    > My daughter got a similar response when she complained they stopped
    > making her favourite porridge flavour.

    Porridge *flavour*?

    Porridge doesn't have flavour, until you put brown sugar or golden
    syrup ontop.

    You mean, someone would put more than brown sugar in their porridge?
    Or worse, rely on the cereal manufacturer to put in their fake brown
    sugar (whatever happened to be bought for the lowest bid this week)?

    --
    TimC
    "I used to be better at logic problems, before I just dumped

  11. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On 2006-03-28, rooman (aka Bruce)
    <el schnippel>
    > Combine ingredients in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Spread out in a
    > lightly greased baking pan and bake 350 F for 28-30mins
    >
    > Let cool and slice, wrap in grease proof paper ( easier to unwrap on a
    > ride than plas film)
    > Adjust sugar to reflect how you want to use the bars.
    >
    > eg: post ride carb replacement use glucose (highGI) as the primary
    > sugar instead of Honey brown sugar and molasses. for a recovery bar add
    > some protein powder in a 1:4 ratio to sugars/carbs.
    >
    > Enjoy !! I never seem to make enough as everyone on my rides always
    > wants them and I miss out...ah such generosity...humble too!!

    How do you fit them and the necessary slabs of Goat in your jersey
    pocket?

    --
    TimC
    mathematician, n.:

  12. rooman

    rooman New Member

    Joined:
    Mar 11, 2005
    Messages:
    1,167
    in there with the fish and chips wrapped in The rAge with lemon wedges of course....just toss out the bananas, glad bag (with ATM card, RACV card, ID and CA Race card 'n cash), phone, mp3 player, headset, CO2 bottles, tubes, jelly snakes, bluetooth earpiece, arm warmers, gloves, reading glasses and clip-ons( wot for reading mags at café), musette ( to bring home extra purchases from LBS), lip salve, rashk kit..oh yeah and spare sweat band ( 'cos my bald head gets salty and my eyes sting after a while, probably a kitchen sink and a juicer if I look hard enough !

    bottom line...manage somehow...jeez..no wonder those hills are such a burden and I couldnt catch you heading back to the car at the TT...must be getting soft I guess!