Uncleat your shoe at what position.

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by novetan, Jan 23, 2013.

1. novetan

novetan New Member

I’m using Shimano road bike cleat peddle. When you uncleat your left leg, do you place your left peddle at 12 or 6 o’clock position. I find removing at 6 o’clock position easier. How abt you?

Tags:

2. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

Well, I wouldn't do it while standing with the pedals at 3 or 9 o'clock.

3. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

I unclip my right leg, and I tend to do so at 12 o'clock.

4. Brian in VA

Brian in VA New Member

I had to think about it but I believe I unclip at the 6 o'clock position, typically it's my right foot but I also will unclip my left foot first.

This is kind of like that old golf joke, "Do you inhale or exhale on your backswing?"

Brian in VA

5. San Remo GT

San Remo GT New Member

Sort of like the reclassification of Pluto, do you really give a shit? If it really matters to you I just use normal pedals coz knowing my luck my feet would get stuck and I will have a accident. At least you could have a laugh I s'pose.

6. vspa

vspa Active Member

is not an obvious skill for everyone, both my sister and my sister in law can't do it and use non clip pedals

7. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

It's easier to twist your foot if your knee is bent.

It's also easier to disengage the foot from the pedal if your weight isn't on it.

8. JScottScale50

JScottScale50 New Member

I always uncleat my right left and do so at 6 o'clock and always well in advance of my anticipated stopping point

9. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

I have bad knees and a poor leg. I aways unclip my left pedal usually at 12 o'clock, but it does not matter. I swing my right leg to the bottom and then brake. When the bike stops, I put my left foot down.

But I have been in the situation where the best practice was to pull up hard on both feet and abandon the bike.

10. oldbobcat

That's the technique I was getting at. I'd also been in the habit of twisting the heel inward around top-dead-center, but Speedplays only allow heel-out.

11. novetan

novetan New Member

Only lately I discovered unclipped by heel-in at 12 o'clock position is the easiest. I thought heeling in is weird but after reading from forum there is a member doing that, I tried and it works wonder.

12. oldbobcat

Like eating at Outback, there are no rules.

13. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

I think it's weird because it's a motion that's opposite in direction of where your foot wants to go if you need to get your foot down post-haste. Because I always clip out by twisting my foot heel-out, I've been able to get my foot down quick on more than one occasion when I needed to.

14. An old Guy

An old Guy Member

In case you missed it:

The most important part is to unclip before you brake. It is scary to come to a stop and then realize that unclipping is not as easy as you thought - you brake, discover that the crank hits your shoe so you cannot unclip, and you need to rotate your crank backwards 1/2 a revolution while the bike is slowly tipping over.

15. novetan

novetan New Member

No, both of you hv missed it.
    The unclip leg (which is opposite to the clip leg) shld be always down when stop. I’m unclipping at the top and my other leg is already down. So I don’t need another half revolution.

So you guys hv the unclip leg at the top when stop? Then I find it weird and against conventional wisdom. But hey, if its work for you, then it works for you.

Just like I find it easier to heel-in instead of the common heel-out. Who is there to challenge me. I find it strange first time hearing someone heel-in, Try it out. You may discover some new hidden secret of doing it quicker.

16. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

The only thing that matters is that your method works for you. It's the rare occasion that I unclip both feet, and normally I unclip while braking. Making absolute statements about when to clip out is useless because there are more factors than whether your braking or not. When to clip out is a function of distance from the stop, speed, how hard your braking, and being within your comfort zone. If unclipping at 12:00 works for you, so be it. If unclipping at 3:00, 5:00, or 8:35 works for you, then that's what's best for you. Bicycling is something that is highly influenced by personal preference. That is common theme in many threads here.

17. jpr95

jpr95 Active Member

I guess part of when I unclip in relation to the stop is from my days riding a motorcycle. It's bad, unsafe practice to drag your feet coming to a stop on a motorcycle (or leaving a stop, for that matter). So for me it's natural to put my foot down right as I stop and I don't have to hop or drag the foot forward. Also, heel-out means that the crank is never in the way. But, hey, whatever floats your boat.