Uncleating inwards

Dino Nathoo

Feb 23, 2016
I am flat footed and find it extremely difficult to unclear outwards. Am far more comfortable inwards. I realize the dangers in doing so at 3 or 9 o clock positions as you could get stuck in crank and fall. But at 6 or 12 o clock position??? Any dangers. Any tips. ??

Smacking the seat tube or putting your heel into the tire/spokes at 12 o'clock sure doesn't sound like something I would want to repeatedly do. Neither does wiping the chain and chainring off with my ankle at 6 o'clock.

Being flat-footed affects your ability to rotate your heel out? If you have a normal range of motion in your ankle and close to normal strength I would think you could unclip by rotating out, but some of us do have physical limitations.

I reach down and knock my heel out with my hand when I stop that pedal at 12 o'clock...I can't rotate one foot out due to a physical issue. It's become an automatic action over the years.

You might also try reducing the release tension of your pedals or buying a set that has adjustable retention/release.

Sure. I was getting into that habit when I used Look and Time pedals, but the Speedplays I'm using now don't allow it. If Time made a pedal as rugged as Speedplay, I'd still be using them.

My technique was, do it at the top of the stroke. The bent knee made it easier to get enough torque, and the pedal position made it impossible to twist your heel into the rear wheel.

I've also found that slightly increasing the spring tension from the loosest position on Look and Shimano pedals actually sharpens the release action.

Let me suggest the higher end Shimano SPD's. Set to the lighter settings it is almost like stepping off of a flat pedal and on an off-road bike that is VERY nice. Set this light, you have to be a little careful to keep your foot straight so that you don't pull out accidentally but save for that the system works well.

I'm flat footed as well and I don't have any issues unclipping outwards even after coming off of toe clips and straps for 40 plus years, in fact I would of found it awkward if I had to unclip inward. I think you just need to practice at it a lot till it becomes second nature.