Uncomfortable saddle?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by STXR814, Aug 19, 2007.

1. STXR814

STXR814 New Member

I've only been riding for about 4 months and the saddle that came on my bike seemed very uncomfortable. My bike is a Specialized Allez Elite. With that being said, I toke the saddle off my other bike which had a little more pading to it and now it seems like I'm sitting on an egg crate. I got done riding the othernight and you can literally push the middle of the seat down and it seems as if there is no support in the middle which would explain why it bothers me when I ride in my crotch and my butt so much. Anyways, this is the saddle that is currently on my bike, http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=23417&subcategory_ID=5210 and I was thinking about putting the saddle back on it that came back on it just to see if it really was that bad cause it can't be any worse than this one but why is this one so bad now cause it wasn't this bad until a week or so ago? Any thoughts on this saddle, the Specialized one, or another one? Thanks.

Tags:

2. Hideandwatch

Hideandwatch New Member

Hi~ I had saddle problems for awhile and what I did was go to the LBS and they had me sit on this kinda gel thing to determine a measurement for my "Sits Bone", I bought the saddle that they reccomended and the severe sore ass problem almost completely went away.
    Good Luck!

3. Oruboris

Oruboris New Member

Seeking help from your LBS is good advice. Not just for width of the seat, but adjustment as well.

Have you tried lowering the nose of the seat just a bit? For some reason, most new riders have the nose too high, even though that puts your weight on areas not meant to support it. You don't want to have it so steep you are sliding off the seat, or holding yourself back with rigid arms.

And don't judge a seat by its padding: some of the very thin seats have a good deal of flex, making them far more comfortable than than cushy looking seats.

4. mongooseboy

mongooseboy New Member

the seat that came with my specialized Allez triple isnt too bad, once i adjusted it. I have the top of the seat parallel to the ground when the wheels are both on level ground. AND, I wear cycling shorts...they help out more than i ever thought possible :) I was looking into a new seat untill i bought the shorts, i ride 16 miles and my rear is feeling just fine. also, make sure you sitting on your SIT bones, not just sitting, it makes a huge difference as well.

I always find bigger saddles with more padding to be less comfortable, and Im not small to say the least. remember you want a narrow saddle otherwise youll experience more inner thigh chaffing ...

5. JohnO

JohnO New Member

Too much padding is bad - it squishes you in places you shouldn't be squished, if you know what I mean.

I went through four saddles before I found the one I liked - Fizik Aliante. It has almost no padding on it. But I can ride it for hours without discomfort.

6. capwater

capwater New Member

Saddle discomfort is usually an adjustment issue, takes some time, everyone is different. Agreed, the less padding the better. You don't want to be sitting on a big ole pillow. Gimme a flat razor blade saddle anyday, good for 7, 8 hours.