Unconventional Training Methods

tonyzackery

Dec 23, 2006
I know I'm opening a Pandora's box here, but I know I employ some unconventional methods all in the name of increased performance on the bike. Whether or not they improve my cycling is debatable, but I know they burn extra calories that I don't necessarily need on a daily basis. Feel free to share your own cross-training abnormalities...

Several of mine:

1. Wear 10lb (each leg) ankle weights for 2+ hours during the day. Had to work my way up from 2.5lbs over course of a couple years.
2. Wear 40lb weight vest 2+ hrs. Currently working at home so I have this luxury. Weightvest.com makes the best vest, if you're interested.
3. Alternating lunges with 40lb weight vest for 5+ minutes (current long period is 7m30s) 2x/day
4. Snowshoeing with daughter (30lbs) or weight vest for 2 hrs.

The most training I am doing lately is walking on campus and climbing stairs with my 25lb bookbag.

I'm a slob. I swear, my health has deteriated since I haven't been biking consistently for a couple months now. I'm sick again after having a cold a month ago.

The things you listed might have a positive affect on your general baseline fitness, but that's about it.

velomanct said:
The things you listed might have a positive affect on your general baseline fitness, but that's about it.
Ya' sure? You speak from personal experience? Damn! And I was expecting another 50w increase in FTP from those lunges, and at least another 25w from the snowshoeing. Thanks for pissing on my parade...:D

I KNOW my daughter's worth at least another 25w all by herself! And no one can tell me any different!:p

Versus being sendentary, you prob would be 25w stronger at threshold from snoeshowing with you your daughter.

Look on the positive side. lol

velomanct said:
Versus being sendentary, you prob would be 25w stronger at threshold from snoeshowing with you your daughter.

Look on the positive side. lol
Thank you for acknowledging my sendentary-ness! I've just been masquerading as a cyclist lately for the jollies. Let me get back to my couch and remote control...:D

tonyzackery said:
I KNOW my daughter's worth at least another 25w all by herself! And no one can tell me any different!:p
Nice pic, my wife and I have started snowshoeing this winter and its a pretty good workout. Of course, I get the backpack, shorter shoes and I break trail..........:eek::eek::eek:

I know couple of pros who snowshoe in the off-season (one on BMC, the other Bissell).

Farmguy said:
Nice pic, my wife and I have started snowshoeing this winter and its a pretty good workout. Of course, I get the backpack, shorter shoes and I break trail..........:eek::eek::eek:
Thanks. Awesome exercise! The feelings in my hip flexors, quads, and hamstrings afterward suggest cycling is a cake-walk in comparison. Well, you know what I mean - different mechanics and all...

Got started last year and was on the mountain (Seymour in North Vancouver) almost weekly. The couple hours this past weekend was a bit too much to start with so I'll probably do 60-90mins. this weekend...after Saturday's TT of course...

tonyzackery said:
I know I'm opening a Pandora's box here, but I know I employ some unconventional methods all in the name of increased performance on the bike. Whether or not they improve my cycling is debatable, but I know they burn extra calories that I don't necessarily need on a daily basis. Feel free to share your own cross-training abnormalities...

Several of mine:

1. Wear 10lb (each leg) ankle weights for 2+ hours during the day. Had to work my way up from 2.5lbs over course of a couple years.
2. Wear 40lb weight vest 2+ hrs. Currently working at home so I have this luxury. Weightvest.com makes the best vest, if you're interested.
3. Alternating lunges with 40lb weight vest for 5+ minutes (current long period is 7m30s) 2x/day
4. Snowshoeing with daughter (30lbs) or weight vest for 2 hrs.
:) They read like good things to do to my way of thinking.
One of the few things that gives me extra speed is doing weights but unfortunately although I'm pretty good at on the bike / rollers training I'm pretty undisciplined at doing lunges/dumbbell squats etc.
This year....

My only really different type of training is I ride my singlespeed (freewheel) roadie most for training.

tonyzackery said:
Thanks. Awesome exercise! The feelings in my hip flexors, quads, and hamstrings afterward suggest cycling is a cake-walk in comparison. Well, you know what I mean - different mechanics and all...
You need the power of The PowerCranks! The destroyer of egos and hip flexors.

swampy1970 said:
You need the power of The PowerCranks! The destroyer of egos and hip flexors.
I would like to try some, but the price of admission is too steep IMO. A guy (210w average) uses them in the TT series - I haven't seen sparks shootin' out of his butt yet:D, but he does constantly complain of leg soreness. I don't need to spend PowerCrank money to have sore legs...

On the bike trail I now train on I see a few in-line skaters who are really flying. That looks like really good exercise to me, which could possibly translate some to the bike. But I've never done it.