Uncool topic of the Day-Need mudguards for a roadbike

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by StartledPancake, Dec 23, 2004.

1. StartledPancake

StartledPancake New Member

Anyone got any mudguard recomendations for a Cannondale R500? Id really, really prefer the removable type but In concerned they wont fit over the fat carbon fibre forks.

My arse has had enough of being sodden (heh) and I drank enough muddy water on my journey into work this morning to last me a lifetime.

Tags:

2. Fat Hack

Fat Hack New Member

I tried clips-ons but they really didn't cut it, so I bought a cheap 2nd hand bike and put on full guards, plus the rear clip-on. Those small "guards" (about 8" x 4") that screw into the downtube bottle cage holes are an ABSOLUTE JOKE -- they do NOTHING!!

The full guard on the rear goes right around the wheel, about 4 inches down past the chain-stays, which provides a lot of protection for the back of the legs.

The front guard also goes down pretty low, and I even attached an extra bit to make it flared. Talk about uncool!! :p If you have cool lookin' twin engines, you will still look cool enough :D

Even with all that protection I still got wet when it was REALLY wet. The guards catch the road spray, but then there's spray off the guards that hits you :rolleyes:

3. Tabruno3

Tabruno3 New Member

I added a "floating" fender to my road bike - I too was tired of having a wet ass!

I don't have a front fender, just one that attaches to my seat post.

Take a look at these http://www.planetbike.com/fenders.html#top

Easiest way to handle the front is to use a fender that velcros onto your downtube. That plus a clipon rear fender and you'll be drier.

You still catch spray, especially from other cars. Just buy some good bike lube/wax for the frame and clean off the grunge every 50 miles or so.

4. StartledPancake

StartledPancake New Member

Ok guys cheers for the info. Im going to go for one of the rack/mudguard combo jobbies that attach to the seatpost (for bonus uncool points). As for the front Ill try one of these velcro on things and at about 5 euros I can afford to bin it if it doesnt work.