Uncool topic of the Day-Need mudguards for a roadbike

StartledPancake

Dec 22, 2004
Anyone got any mudguard recomendations for a Cannondale R500? Id really, really prefer the removable type but In concerned they wont fit over the fat carbon fibre forks.

My **** has had enough of being sodden (heh) and I drank enough muddy water on my journey into work this morning to last me a lifetime.

I tried clips-ons but they really didn't cut it, so I bought a cheap 2nd hand bike and put on full guards, plus the rear clip-on. Those small "guards" (about 8" x 4") that screw into the downtube bottle cage holes are an ABSOLUTE JOKE -- they do NOTHING!!

The full guard on the rear goes right around the wheel, about 4 inches down past the chain-stays, which provides a lot of protection for the back of the legs.

The front guard also goes down pretty low, and I even attached an extra bit to make it flared. Talk about uncool!! :p If you have cool lookin' twin engines, you will still look cool enough :D

Even with all that protection I still got wet when it was REALLY wet. The guards catch the road spray, but then there's spray off the guards that hits you :rolleyes:

I added a "floating" fender to my road bike - I too was tired of having a wet ass!

I don't have a front fender, just one that attaches to my seat post.

Take a look at these http://www.planetbike.com/fenders.html#top

Easiest way to handle the front is to use a fender that velcros onto your downtube. That plus a clipon rear fender and you'll be drier.

You still catch spray, especially from other cars. Just buy some good bike lube/wax for the frame and clean off the grunge every 50 miles or so.

Tabruno3 said:
I added a "floating" fender to my road bike - I too was tired of having a wet ass!

I don't have a front fender, just one that attaches to my seat post.

Take a look at these http://www.planetbike.com/fenders.html#top

Easiest way to handle the front is to use a fender that velcros onto your downtube. That plus a clipon rear fender and you'll be drier.

You still catch spray, especially from other cars. Just buy some good bike lube/wax for the frame and clean off the grunge every 50 miles or so.
Ok guys cheers for the info. Im going to go for one of the rack/mudguard combo jobbies that attach to the seatpost (for bonus uncool points). As for the front Ill try one of these velcro on things and at about 5 euros I can afford to bin it if it doesnt work.