Under $40.00 Cycling Computer

Blindboy

Sep 22, 2013
Hey all,

I currently have a Cateye Micro Wireless CC-MC100W which I noticed the speed is not holding on the display. It will blink to 0mph then 4mph and so on. It's a little all over the place. I replaced the batteries about 3 months ago and it seem to help when it happened before. Ever other function seems fine, just the MPH display. Anyway, I am looking to get a newer cycling computer.

Was thinking of sticking with Cateye, but was curious if anyone else had some suggestions I am not seeing. Amazon has a ton of course, but again...confusion. Thanks

Before you buy a new computer you should check to be sure the wheel magnet is aligned correctly with the speed sensor and that it passes closely enough by the sensor.

I did check that to make sure that wasn't the issue and ran it. Doesn't appear to be. The computer is about 4 years old, so I was thinking perhaps the elements and other things have finally gotten to it.

Do you want a wireless or wired computer? What sort of functions do need the computer to have? Do you want to follow your heart rate or cadence? Do you need a backlit screen?

Cateye Strada Wireless, RD-300W. I have a couple of them and are a top notch 'basic' computer.

About $45-$50 though: http://www.masseysoutfitters.com/10025423/Product?key_id=0725012017326&ad_id=&zmam=79092582&zmas=1&zmac=88&zmap=32837&gclid=CI7vzq2m4LkCFa1FMgodOC4AOg

Quote: Originally Posted by CAMPYBOB .
Cateye Strada Wireless, RD-300W. I have a couple of them and are a top notch 'basic' computer.

Got years of great service from my Cateye Mighty 8, but had to replace it when the wire finally broke. That won't happen to my Strada Wireless, now about 5k miles old.

Cateye Mity 8 fan here. They are low-cost, and the single battery lasts "forever", well, at least 5 yrs and 20K miles so far. I did have a problem with mine recently, when the magnet crept down the spoke on a 50 mph descent, producing a zero reading and an interesting "turbo" whistle as it hit the pickup.

dhk2 said:
Cateye Mity 8 fan here.  They are low-cost, and the single battery lasts "forever", well, at least 5 yrs and 20K miles so far.  I did have a problem with mine recently, when the magnet crept down the spoke on a 50 mph descent, producing a zero reading and an interesting "turbo" whistle as it hit the pickup.   
Shoe Goo, epoxy, or rubber cement are your friends when it comes to keeping magnets in place.

Wow thank you all very much. Sorry I wasn't more descriptive in what I was looking for in a cycling computer. I am a fan of the cateye and I will check those suggestions. It was great of you all to respond with some great choices. I was looking for the basics. Speed, avg. speed, distance, time, time of day, odometer. No cadence or heart rate since I don't have those sensors, nor plan on getting them. Thank you again your suggestions are much appreciated.