Under seat steering help

Richard Arnopolin

Guest
Just received the unfortunate news that my shock fork on my 2001 Vision 50
is ready to go making the bike unsafe to ride.
As both Vision and the maker of Balistic forks are no more, this puts me in
the horrible position of looking for a new bike.
I would prefer an under seat steering short wheel base but am unaware of
companies that manufacture them.
Any suggestions?
Tia,
Goofy

Richard Arnopolin wrote:
> Just received the unfortunate news that my shock fork on my 2001 Vision 50
> is ready to go making the bike unsafe to ride.
> As both Vision and the maker of Balistic forks are no more, this puts me in
> the horrible position of looking for a new bike.
> I would prefer an under seat steering short wheel base but am unaware of
> companies that manufacture them.
> Any suggestions?

Not the greatest quality (by reputation) but this RST fork is
inexpensive and would likely work for road use:
<http://www.rst.com.tw/product/pd2008/capa20.html>.

Higher price and quality would be the MEKS forks:
<http://www.mekkem-parts.com/pro_frame.htm>.

There are plenty of non-suspension forks that would also work, if you
can live without front suspension.

If you really want a new bike, here are some SWB USS options:
<http://www.challenge-recumbents.com/html/index.php?taal=en&selectie=hurricanetour>,
<http://www.challenge-recumbents.com/html/index.php?taal=en&selectie=seiran>,
<http://www.hpvelotechnik.com/produkte/sm/index_e.html>,
<http://www.optima-cycles.nl/main/en/modellen/2.html?Itemid=27>,
<http://www.optima-cycles.nl/main/en/modellen/10.html?Itemid=27>.

Vision USS bikes require a 1" diameter steertube and another 1"
diameter tube on the fork crown towards the rear of the fork to insert
a stem taht secures the handlebar for steering.

I can't think of any current suspension manufactuer that offer a
suspension fork with a 1" diameter steertube and a 1" diameter tueb
that sticks out from the fork crown towards the rear end of the
bike.

You could go to a rigid fork and/or convert to ASS easily, but a
replacement suspension for Vision USS would be difficult to find.

On Jul 12, 5:38 pm, "Richard Arnopolin" <[email protected]>
wrote:
> Just received the unfortunate news that my shock fork on my 2001 Vision 50
> is ready to go making the bike unsafe to ride.
> As both Vision and the maker of Balistic forks are no more, this puts me in
> the horrible position of looking for a new bike.
> I would prefer an under seat steering short wheel base but am unaware of
> companies that manufacture them.
> Any suggestions?
> Tia,
> Goofy

A friend also has this model. Why can't you fix-replace the worn out
component?
John
Nebraska

Can you give more details on this ? What exactly is the problem with
the fork? I have a Vision R40 with a rigid fork, which in my opinion
has the wrong amount of trail, making it twitchy to ride. I would like
to know if this fork is suspect also.
TIA
Oops, ID

Richard Arnopolin wrote:
> Just received the unfortunate news that my shock fork on my 2001 Vision 50
> is ready to go making the bike unsafe to ride.
> As both Vision and the maker of Balistic forks are no more, this puts me in
> the horrible position of looking for a new bike.
> I would prefer an under seat steering short wheel base but am unaware of
> companies that manufacture them.
> Any suggestions?
> Tia,
> Goofy

"Oops" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Can you give more details on this ? What exactly is the problem with
> the fork? I have a Vision R40 with a rigid fork, which in my opinion
> has the wrong amount of trail, making it twitchy to ride. I would like to
> know if this fork is suspect also.
> TIA
> Oops, ID

Consider this; one man's 'twitchy' is another man's 'high performance,
precise steering' sporty ride as opposed to 'slow and unresponsive'
steering. This is highly subjective, as you said. It won't be easy for
another person to answer your question. Some people have amazing athletes'
reflexes and can go scary fast through traffic on bikes that would be
virtually unrideable by a klutz like me.

> Richard Arnopolin wrote:
>> Just received the unfortunate news that my shock fork on my 2001 Vision
>> 50 is ready to go making the bike unsafe to ride.
>> As both Vision and the maker of Balistic forks are no more, this puts me
>> in the horrible position of looking for a new bike.
>> I would prefer an under seat steering short wheel base but am unaware of
>> companies that manufacture them.
>> Any suggestions?
>> Tia,
>> Goofy

Good news....the second local bike shop I went to had a ballistic fork that
fit my bike!!!!!
While I was there, I purchased a Terra Tour tadpole trike.
Now that I am completely "bent" I'll have to sell my two wedgie bikes.
Thanks for all the advice.
Rick

news:[email protected]...